Sign in to follow this  
PaulyH

Believe it of you want....

I

don’t like to think of myself as disillusioned. I''d also discribe myself as more of a pessimist than an

optimist too but I can judge a situation for what it isand keep it in context. Others clearly

cannot. Its depressing for everyone to read over and over again how we’re

doomed when the reality is so far from that.

Here is where I begin.

I

have read this forum for about 3 years now and hardly ever feel that compelled to

post (to the extent I couldn''t remember my username, password or the email I

registered with) but some people on hear have drawn me out this week coming across as either thick, out of touch, no grip on reality or just wind up merchants.

The worst sort of people in my opinion

are those who get their kicks out of upsetting other people. You know who you are

and I’ll let you place yourselves into what ever bracket you are most suited

too.

But

please can we just take a moment to get a grip on the reality of the situation? 

Appallingly/outstandingly run club? No far from it but lets look at this transfer

window and the way we are doing business.

Do we want to take a gamble? Well

yes but lets not be stupid. I like the word “risk” better. Its more professional

and is easier to evaluate than a gamble. Billy Sharp, unproven at Championship level,

and costing around the same amount as we paid for Earny. This is a risk, its

also what everyone wants to see is it not? Norwich City

throwing in good money for decent young players? Yet still it is questioned as smokescreens,

lack of ambition, NOT GOOD ENOUGH???? Why? 

Billy Sharp £2/3m

Freddy Eastwood £1.5m

Marshall 750k

Will it take these players

signing and becoming legends before people accept that this club is indeed

going in the right direction? That’s not reality. We are putting in investment,

we are calculating the risks. This is prudence with ambition perfectly

balanced.

Some fans would see this

fantastic club go out of business for the sake of a drive for the big time. If that’s

your ambition then fine but it’s not mine. I’d rather see and hard fought push

for the Premiership knowing that I have a club I can support in 10 years time

whether it is in the Champions League or the Championship. Rather than a great

year or two of expensive players, wages and overheads followed by

administration and demise. Both a distinct possibility depending on how this

club could be run.

At the moment we’re doing OK,

actually we’re doing better than OK. At times the prudence has seemingly out

weighed the ambition but let us not pretend we know what is going on behind

those closed doors because we don’t. Spouting off pure speculation and opinion

as fact is extremely ignorant and arrogant.

Now this board is by no mean

perfect, even they hold they’re hands up to that and the majority of supporters

can sympathise. Others are becoming greedy little pigs. Demanding millions of

pounds worth of investment, and if they don’t get it, they want to see Delia and

co out, and someone (I don’t know who) who will plough super millions into the

club, but somehow not be in it for anything other than the hope of bringing good

successful football to the people of Norfolk. (sorry for the long sentence) Get real please. Most finger

pointing goes on over the lack of investment and lack of success on the field. Things

are changing, successful change is a gradual process but it is happening right

under our noses but still the stabbing continues with anything people can throw.

Here is an absolute classic. Better off under Chase? I damn near choked on more

my tea when I read that. When you pitch it like for like on the pitch

perhaps we were but seriously??? This board have invested more money than Chase

ever did (including with inflation). People hailing Chase as some sort of cult,

undervalued legend are seriously deluded. He sold off our best players for

elaborate unimportance’s. OK those investments paid off years later to the

benefit of the current board but you are forgetting one major thing. I will

phrase this as carefully as I can to get my point across.

If Chase had invested

that money in the playing staff instead of fixed assets, at a time when

investment was so crucial it holds the difference now off 100’s of millions of

pounds, then the rewards from Chase’s investments would have been less than a

drop in the ocean compared to the benefits of investing upon a 3rd place

finish and a decent UEFA cup run.

To take things further and

suggest that he was more successful on the field is again another huge unfair accusation

because of the following. The Premier League then could be argued held less

prestige than today’s Championship, but even if that isn’t correct it still costs

more money to finish in the Championship''s top 6 than the Premier League of the

early 90’s FACT.

Peter Grant is hard

at work building his own team for success. He, as we know, inherited a ragged

squad from Worthington.

Not just in talent but blatant attitude at times. An attitude that was deep

rotting, damaging and lasting. Grant has his own stubborn mentality and I believe

the 11 men on the pitch next season will have it too. (My opinion of course). So

far the additions to the squad have been small, menial even, Dublin, Otsemobor*sp and Gilks. All signed on

free transfers. Not good enough for some, yet more activity at this stage then

we have had in a long time whilst still not forgetting some big sticks in the fire (as

mentioned above). However, some people won’t even let our approaches fail before

condemning the bids as doomed to failure, smokescreens to keep the fans quiet

etc etc. Do you seriously believe a club would do that? How absurd. Get a grip

and watch with excitement like the rest of us are as we jostle for these star

players with some of this leagues best clubs. Enjoy it. I know I am. If we end

up with no one that is the time to kick off no? But while we’re still very much

in the fight, with the 2 highest bids accepted, on 2 of the countries hottest

young talents isn’t that something we would have killed for under Chase?

Bimbo, an excellent post.

I have to say that I agree whole heartedly with all the points you have made.

But expect an onslaught from the usual suspects.

PJB that is a fantastic post and sums up exactly how I feel, and I believe how the majority of City fans feel. (Yes usual suspects, you read that correctly!!) 

But, get ready for the usual moaning from the Robert Chase Appreciation Society.

[quote user="Smudger"]Yawn...... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz [S][/quote]Oh thats class, superb way of boosting your post count to become FORUM KING lolEver thought how mutual the feelings are towards your posts (sorry reposts) but still they come. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

[quote user="PJ Bimbo"][quote user="Smudger"]Yawn...... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz [S][/quote]

Oh thats class, superb way of boosting your post count to become FORUM KING lol

Ever thought how mutual the feelings are towards your posts (sorry reposts) but still they come. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
[/quote]

That''s pretty rich seeing as your original post is pretty much a re-hash of what all the Delialala apologists have been coming out with for ages - excuses.

PJ:

Hi and welcome back.

I''m sorry mate but I almost choked on your biased sermon. All your fine words will count for double zero if Grant (Earnshaw unlikely to be here) and his below average players he''s signing manage to get us relegated!.

And thats a double quick way to go bankrupt rather than a major foreign investor coming in. But of course Delia''s blocked that hasn''t she?, so we''ll never know!.

Never mind about an honest and safe struggle for promotion to the Prem, the other end of the table and below is far more likely under your prudent proposals!.

[quote user="PJ Bimbo"][quote user="Smudger"]Yawn...... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz [S][/quote]

Oh thats class, superb way of boosting your post count to become FORUM KING lol

Ever thought how mutual the feelings are towards your posts (sorry reposts) but still they come. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
[/quote]

Fell asleep reading your post { q a reply-i do reading yours}

Wiz - Thanks for the welcome (long time no speak) but thank

you for helping enhance one of my points. If what you suggest may happen

actually does happen then, as I said in my original post, is the time to kick

off. Not before.

"I`d rather see a hard-fought push for the Premiership....." The point is where exactly has this hard-fought push been for the last two seasons? The reality of the situation is that there has been a serious lack of investment in the team (£3million transfer profit in the last accounts) over that period and our stock has fallen so low that ambitious players see us as a club going nowhere. The reality is also that despite positive noises the squad is little stronger than it was in the last poor season.

If you think that Chase was the only one obsessed with fixed asset growth you are seriously out of touch. Where do you think the Prem/Ashton/Francis/Green millions went? Have a look in the accounts, then come back and lecture us on the reality of the situation.

"The point is where exactly has this hard-fought push been for the last two seasons?"That not the point at all. Did you read my post?I never said Chase was the only one obsessed with asset growth either so please don''t put words in my mouth. It appears you completely missed my whole point on the Chase era Mr Carrow. I''m also not lecturing anyone. I agree, in my original post, with the point you maid on lack of ambition over the last few seasons but that doesn''t appear to be the case now. I could be wrong but it appears to me things are changing.

How are things changing. We are still making decent offers for players. We did the same under Worthington. What we are clearly failing to do is back those bids up with contracts enticing enough to get the player himself interested. As displayed by the Sharpe fiasco. Again.

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]You lost me after "I do not like", by the way do you think the club should replace my old jaded, faded yellow(ish) plastic seat?[/quote]

[^o)] Not again... [:P]

[quote user="PJ Bimbo"]"The point is where exactly has this hard-fought push been for the last two seasons?"

That not the point at all. Did you read my post?

I never said Chase was the only one obsessed with asset growth either so please don''t put words in my mouth. It appears you completely missed my whole point on the Chase era Mr Carrow. I''m also not lecturing anyone. I agree, in my original post, with the point you maid on lack of ambition over the last few seasons but that doesn''t appear to be the case now. I could be wrong but it appears to me things are changing.
[/quote]

Never one to be confrontational.....but what a load of slurry. Pray tell me where the ambition you seem to extoll is being shown? Two free transfers and a load of press/PR speculation going no-where...that''s where.

Nothing whatsoever has changed as far as I can see...and you can proudly add yourself to the list of apologists you seem so intent on defending. They are all in there with you safely wrapped up in cotton wool.

As for Robert Chase...he gave us something this shower never have done and never will...and that is pride. All very clever to snipe in hindsight but no doubt you (if you are old enough) didn''t complain at the time....and of course that trip into Europe is so totally forgettable isn''t it compared to a recent humilating cup thrashing at Chelsea.....you know the one where Auntie Delia sat with her "loyal little fans".......

Give me a break...............

[quote user="Cluck "]

[quote user="PJ Bimbo"]"The point is where exactly has this hard-fought push been for the last two seasons?"

I never said Chase was the only one obsessed with asset growth either so please don''t put words in my mouth. It appears you completely missed my whole point on the Chase era Mr Carrow. I''m also not lecturing anyone. I agree, in my original post, with the point you maid on lack of ambition over the last few seasons but that doesn''t appear to be the case now. I could be wrong but it appears to me things are changing.
[/quote]

Never one to be confrontational.....but what a load of slurry. Pray tell me where the ambition you seem to extoll is being shown? Two free transfers and a load of press/PR speculation going no-where...that''s where.

Nothing whatsoever has changed as far as I can see...and you can proudly add yourself to the list of apologists you seem so intent on defending. They are all in there with you safely wrapped up in cotton wool.

As for Robert Chase...he gave us something this shower never have done and never will...and that is pride. All very clever to snipe in hindsight but no doubt you (if you are old enough) didn''t complain at the time....and of course that trip into Europe is so totally forgettable isn''t it compared to a recent humilating cup thrashing at Chelsea.....you know the one where Auntie Delia sat with her "loyal little fans".......

Give me a break...............

[/quote]

Don''t tell me you are trying to tell us that any point the "fat controller" was ever popular!! There were more protests against him and his way of running the club than there were poll tax protests.

If ever a Chairman could be accused of doing thinks on the cheap then it is him! This club wouldn''t have spent the best part of the last 10 years in the doldrums had he invested in the team when Walker asked him to. Instead he allowed the best manager the club has ever had to slip through his fingers (then repeated it with O''Neill!!) and broke up the best team we ever had by selling off Fox, Sutton, Etuhu & Robbins and refusing to sanction any replacements! Yes, he was a top guy and great for the club. If you seriously think he is any better than the current mob then you are truly living in Cloud Cluckoo land.

[/quote]

Utter drivel.

I''m sick of people making excuses for the poor seasons we''re having (and we''ve just had 3 seriously poor ones on the trot)

What is there to say the next one will be any better, apart from two cheapo bosman freebies?