Sign in to follow this  
Duffman

How long did we give him?

How long do you reckon Grant gave Billy to make his mind up about joining us?

The weekend has passed, as far as we all know, no-one has come in for him matching our bid.   IF he does have doubts about joining us and was hoping for another club to come in for him over the weekend he must be really confused about what to do.

I am hoping for a conclusion to this transfer saga today. 

well... according to me PG himself on the pink''un ''''were waiting for anwsers from 1 or 2 people by the end of the week"... im presuming this is sharp and eastwood? although it could be marshall but sharp is definately one of them

sheff wednesday are interested but cant afford his wages, sharp''s holding out for wolves to agree a deal if not he will sign for us

If we''ve had a bid accepted and he''s been to talk to us, I suspect its down to his personal choice.  The wages we offered were probably acceptable but from the sounds of it he wants to be somewhere else.OTBC!Chunky

According to the bbc a decision does not even sound imminent, as he is talking to Owls "in the next 48 hours".  You probably can''t really blame him, but as far as I''m concerned he''s already had plenty of time - if he wasn''t impressed with us and still wants to talk to others before deciding you do have to question whether he wants to play for us quite enough. 

Perhaps we should just move on.   It is not as if he is the only striker in existence and £2m+ for someone who has never successfully played outside League 1 is surely rather over the odds in the first place despite his good record.  Eastwood always was a much better bet on that score, but even outside those two there are plenty of other strikers about that we don''t need to sit about waiting forever for either of them to make up their minds. 

in my opnion, if he hasnt made his mind up by Midday tommorow say "thanks but not no thanks" and look elsewhere, time is important in the transfer window and we cant miss out on other possible targets just because Billy Sharp is Farting about.

jas :)

The wait goes on then......  It could work in our favour, maybe he delayed the move because he wanted the chance to talk to at least one other team interested in him. That way he has something to compare us to.   By the sounds of it Sheff Wed are already admitting defeat in the wages they can offer him and banking on friendship to win him over.

Having said all that........If he don''t wanna join us then we should go the extra mile to sign Eastwood, scored a decent amount of goals in a struggling championship team last year, put him into a team that creates more chances = more goals for him.

It is difficult at the moment, because presumably we can only afford one of Eastwood and Sharp. If Billy is the primary target, we need an answer from him and I''m sure we were always aware of his desire to check out all of his options.

That said, if I was PG now I would try to get a clear indication as to whether we were still a realistic option for Nilly - as it feels likely he would stay further north.

In that case, get on the phone straight away and offer Southend the deal we offered Sharp. Tie Eastwood up before he agrees to go eslewhere.

Overcommitting ourselves would only be a short term problem. Missing out on both Freddie and Billy would be far more of a long-term issue.

Decision on Sharp is end of Today.If he dosent come then Norwich will

be signing Jamie,But not both.

All will be revealed as soon as.

OTBC.....

But Scunthorpe have said today that neither Sheffield Wed or Wolves have met the asking price for Sharpe!

Sharp''s still checking out the sheffield wednesday olympic swimming pool facilities right now , Oh sorry thats the pitch !!!

The way I read it, we are still the only club who has had a bid accepted by Scunny but they are still allowing Billy to talk to Wolves and Sheff Wed, I assume this is at Billy Sharp''s request.

The thing I dont understand is, if Sheff Wed and Wolves want to talk to and sign him why havent they bid as much as us for him.  Brian Laws said yesterday and I quote "The chairman at Scunthorpe wouldn''t be allowing us to talk to Billy if he wasn''t happy with what we offered several weeks ago." Now either Brian Laws is confused and thinks that the 1.5m he offered a few weeks ago is now all of a sudden good enough or he is aware that his bid needs to be increased before scunny will let him go but that comment doesnt support the latter.

I posted this on the transfer forum, but I think it''s worthy of a post here - basically because the Sharp tranfer seems to be in quite a strange place at the moment.

Think about it. No club would allow their player to talk to another club having NOT met their valuation, unless the player made it clear it was the only option available to get a deal.

It seems to me Scunthorpe would only accept our offer.

However, even though Billy was apparently so wonderfully impressed with our club, he has told his club he wants to speak to Wolves and Wednesday or else.

If Billy visits Wolves and Wednesday and says ''Yes, I want to move here'' are those clubs likely to go to Scunthorpe and say:
   a, ''OK, Billy wants to come here so we''ll offer you the extra money you want and all will be good.''
   b, ''OK, Billy has said he wants to come here so you might as well accept the offer we made you 
         and get what you can.''

You have to ask yourself, does he really want to come here? I don''t think the player and club are thinking along the same lines in terms of where Billy will end up, which is bad for us because in terms of Scunthorpe, we''re the highest bidders.

Anyone else see it like that, or disagree?

as far as im concered its time to move on.. sharp has dragged his heels, lets focus attention elsewhere.

jas :)

To be fair, even though he left us in a horrible way, Dean Ashton joined us in an honourable way. He had the chance to go to speak to Palace but im sure it''s right that he didnt because he had already agreed to move to us. Im sure the Dean "will he wont he" saga didnt last this long, Ashton was only young and was moving to the otherside of the country. Hope  Sharp joins but hope it is all sorted soon.