Sign in to follow this  
BBFF

City Stand upper tier?

As the corner in-fill hotel is now open for business, NCPLC has said they intend to expand the City Stand??? Sounds like another NCPLC red herring to me. In the past NCPLC said they would only add an upper tier to the City Stand if we had a substantial run in the Prem ( with their FOOTBALL ambition that looks like never)

As we fill Carrow Rd every game and there is a season ticket waiting list should NCPLC wait till we are in the Prem to increase the fan bass to 30,000 with an upper tier or build a squad that will get us to the Prem??? (personally I don''t think ether will happen)

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[quote user="BB FOOTBALL FIRST"]

As the corner in-fill hotel is now open for business, NCPLC has said they intend to expand the City Stand??? Sounds like another NCPLC red herring to me. In the past NCPLC said they would only add an upper tier to the City Stand if we had a substantial run in the Prem ( with their FOOTBALL ambition that looks like never)

As we fill Carrow Rd every game and there is a season ticket waiting list should NCPLC wait till we are in the Prem to increase the fan bass to 30,000 with an upper tier or build a squad that will get us to the Prem??? (personally I don''t think ether will happen)

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[/quote]

Where did you hear about this?

If the new shareholders had any business sense... and they appear to have, they would look straight away at expanding the stadium!

We become a prem side consitantly = more fans = less seats available = increase in capacity = more fans = more money for players. Everyone''s a winner. It''s a good plan, and one that hopefully will mean that if we ever do become an established side, then we will have a bigger ground. Stop moaning please!

BB, when did you hear this?  Have they mentioned it recently?  It cropped up several times during the 2005/6 season but it''s been all quiet (too quiet) for a while now. 

The Premiership is a pipe dream imo, but if we don''t concentrate on football next season our survival in the Championship will be in serious doubt.  

We''ve enlarged the South Stand and built the corner infill, but we still "can''t compete".  Those projects haven''t paid for themselves yet, let alone made any money for the football club, and the same will apply if we enlarge the City Stand.

I can''t imagine a worse time to even THINK about borrowing more money for construction work, especially given the size of our debt.  I hope the bank will solve the problem by refusing to lend us any more until we''ve reduced it. 

Have they said they are going to do it?

I know its widely regarded as the next ground improvement (and I for one can''t wait, I think it will look pretty good) as you''ve stated i''m sure its been said it will only happen after a run in the prem, which is quite correct.

I would be surprised, and pretty annoyed if it happened anytime prior to having 2 seasons of premiership football.

If we don''t finish top end of the table this season, I don''t think we''ll needto worry so much about seasdon tickets sales next year!

I''m presuming this has come form the official site. What they were doing was explaining why they didn''t put an infill between the Barclay and Jarrold stands.

In summary the club said they got an extra 1,600 seats in the NU Community Stand infill, but couldn''t do that in the Barclay/Jarrold infill because it is the only access point for agricultural equipment / lorries for events etc. So, an infill in that corner would only create about 700 seats, which would come at a cost of £3.5m-£4m.

For a similar cost, they could stick an extra tier on the City Stand and gain 4,000-5,000 more seats instead. Hence why they sold the land and bought shares in the operating company for the hotel - and no infill.

All of this seems to make reasonable sense. But then, where would be the fun in that.

The full story from the official site is here.

Judging by some of the responses to this thread, the board now have what they want - a "fan" base that is more interested in facilities than football.  What''s the point of another new stand if we''re scraping around at the bottom of the Championship or even languishing in League 1 or 2?  Or don''t you care?

I''ve felt for a while that me and my passion for football are not welcome at Carrow Road any more.  Football is slowly but surely slipping off the agenda altogether.  If this happens next season I''m off for good.  And won''t you pathetic little Delia Drones be glad . . .

[quote user="mystic megson"]

Judging by some of the responses to this thread, the board now have what they want - a "fan" base that is more interested in facilities than football.  What''s the point of another new stand if we''re scraping around at the bottom of the Championship or even languishing in League 1 or 2?  Or don''t you care?

I''ve felt for a while that me and my passion for football are not welcome at Carrow Road any more.  Football is slowly but surely slipping off the agenda altogether.  If this happens next season I''m off for good.  And won''t you pathetic little Delia Drones be glad . . .

[/quote]

Jeez, and there was me just trying to fill in some of the blanks... [:^)]

Don''t mistake commenting on off-pitch issues as lacking in passion for what happens on the pitch MM (unless people think we would be better off building a new tier now, rather than rebuilding on the pitch - in which case, go for your life Mystic [:D])

[/quote]

Yes MM I agree with you, FOOTBALL is being forgotten at CR, its all about getting the "match day experience" even when the FOOTBALL is crap and the ambition of NCPLC has nothing to do with FOOTBALL.

I realised FOOTBALL in the long term was going to mean very little to NCPLC when they asked the league to play our first game of the season away so they get the refurbished restaurant finished and the same week sold Bellamy even after they said he would not go.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST 

[/quote]

Mystic, I don''t believe for one minute that the board are seriously thinking about putting that extra tier on the city stand right now. If they are, I agree with with you it is the WRONG time for this.

I would far rather not even have to think about off field activities, but that is the nature of the modern game. ALL clubs of our size or bigger focus on off the field activities, they all have hotels, restaurants, conference facilities, because all clubs need to get in revenue from everywhere possible. To enable them to compete on the field. I too think the hotel is an eye-sore, and I too would rather have an infill with seating, but I understand why this isn''t financially viable. Personally I blame the FA for letting our game get to the stage where it is dominated by finance.

[quote user="BB FOOTBALL FIRST"][quote user="mystic megson"]

[/quote]

Yes MM I agree with you, FOOTBALL is being forgotten at CR, its all about getting the "match day experience" even when the FOOTBALL is crap and the ambition of NCPLC has nothing to do with FOOTBALL.

I realised FOOTBALL in the long term was going to mean very little to NCPLC when they asked the league to play our first game of the season away so they get the refurbished restaurant finished and the same week sold Bellamy even after they said he would not go.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST 

[/quote]

Yes cause Bellamy had NOTHING to do with his deaprture from city did he?

Our horrible board forced him out. Oh wait hang on.................

Maybe it''s not so silly to be thinking about stadium expansion. Reading are going ahead with work to increase their stadium''s capacity from just over 24,000 to 38,000 plus. Yes, yes I know they are currently a Premiership club, but they are hardly an established Premiership club, are they? Also I should have thought that City is a bigger club than Reading. I''ve always regarded Reading as a tinpot little outfit.

What ever happens, if the present demand for tickets is sustained, then we could do with another 5 or 6,000 seats. Of the bigger clubs in the Football League, we must have the smallest stadium. Certainly nobody, from the Championship down, has so many sell outs in a season.

On the other hand, how do you pay the vast sums of money required to build another tier on the City Stand, while at the same time financing squad improvements? Very difficult indeed - if not impossible!

Sorry Ken but it IS the wrong time.

If we have money for stadium improvements it needs to go on the team, as that is the important are.

If we don''t improve this year we''ll see crowds aroundthe 19-20k mark next season at best, we certainly wouldn''t fill a stadium with a capacity nearing 30K.

[/quote]

hehehe sorry Mystic... I had to laugh... just couldn''t help myself!!!  [:D]