Sign in to follow this  
Ulf Ottosson

Overrated / Underrated

Who are the players over the last six months who have been underrated and overrated here are mine :

Overrated

Simon Lappin - Ok he''s not that bad and looks good value for money but the only thing I think when I see him is - Why is Clint Easton back on the left wing? For me he''s a squad player cover for left back and left winger but not quite good enough to be a a first choice in either position - too slight to be a left back not quick or tricky enough to be a real threat down the left hand side.

Chris Martin - Ok he''s a home grown product and he did well for us when we needed it most - But I can''t think apart from a couple of goals what he has that I haven''t seen from say Ryan Jarvis technically he''s very good, good first touch, awareness and technique but I struggle (like I do with Jarvis) to see what sort of striker he is - he isn''t a target man, doesn''t quite have the pace to be a threat in behind the defence what sort of stiker is he? I think he maybe best suited in midfield..........my spin is that he''s talented but the comparisions to Sutton and Bellamy maybe a bit much

Underrated (a bit more of a struggle)

Michael Spillane - Six months younger than Martin, did''nt look out of place last year and hasn''t this despite playing in a number of different positions. He quickly and efficiently went about his business and I for one are really looking forward to him making a first team place his own next year.

Dickson Etuhu - Yes I know he gets stick for being inconsistent but for me people overlook the fact that he scored seven goals this season and played a key role in most of our best performance this year. When he''s good he''s awesome and if he could make his off days say from 1/4 to 1/6 - then we''d be lucky to hold onto him for the whole of next season.

Over-rated

Earnie - the leagues supreme goalscorer but distorts the shape and dynamicof the team too much,  is too selfish and a shocking footballr outside the 18yd box (worst shots to goal ratio of the top scorers I understand) A decent parnter (not hux) may change that.  

Hughes - what is this fans obsession in confusing ability with effort?

Shackell - seems no better and no worse than his partner and is truly woeful at passing.  Needs to step up a gear.

ZLF - a far higher opinion of himself than anyone else and simply drones on incessantly.

Under-rated

Doc - not a prem player but more effective at this level than we realise.   The change at the back has been so noticeable sicne he has beeni jured hasnt it?  Not.

Drury - far more consistent than the criticism he currently gets,  but has had more poor games this season than before,  yet still far superior to any other left back option seen last season 

1st Wiz - reading his posts are like panning for gold,   so much detritus but worth persevering with as in amongst it there usually a little golden nugget of truth waiting to be found;  you just have to look beyond the white noise its surrounded by!

right martin has been playing out of position the last few games and did not get a steady supply, earnie had a lot of shots martin didnt, spillane agreeed etuhu just needs to know what hes doing, but how are lappin and martin overrated dont they need to be praises mostley its saying there rubbish and dont do anything, safri is overrated

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Over-rated

Earnie - the leagues supreme goalscorer but distorts the shape and dynamicof the team too much,  is too selfish and a shocking footballr outside the 18yd box (worst shots to goal ratio of the top scorers I understand) A decent parnter (not hux) may change that.  

Shackell - seems no better and no worse than his partner and is truly woeful at passing.  Needs to step up a gear.

ZLF - a far higher opinion of himself than anyone else and simply drones on incessantly.

Under-rated

Doc - not a prem player but more effective at this level than we realise.   The change at the back has been so noticeable sicne he has beeni jured hasnt it?  Not.

Drury - far more consistent than the criticism he currently gets,  but has had more poor games this season than before,  yet still far superior to any other left back option seen last season 

1st Wiz - reading his posts are like panning for gold,   so much detritus but worth persevering with as in amongst it there usually a little golden nugget of truth waiting to be found;  you just have to look beyond the white noise its surrounded by!

[/quote]how on earth is hughes overrated does anyone know what it means, hardley anybody likes him and he has defended well, not just put in effort so just shut up

[quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]

Who are the players over the last six months who have been underrated and overrated here are mine :

Overrated

Simon Lappin - Ok he''s not that bad and looks good value for money but the only thing I think when I see him is - Why is Clint Easton back on the left wing? For me he''s a squad player cover for left back and left winger but not quite good enough to be a a first choice in either position - too slight to be a left back not quick or tricky enough to be a real threat down the left hand side.

Chris Martin - Ok he''s a home grown product and he did well for us when we needed it most - But I can''t think apart from a couple of goals what he has that I haven''t seen from say Ryan Jarvis technically he''s very good, good first touch, awareness and technique but I struggle (like I do with Jarvis) to see what sort of striker he is - he isn''t a target man, doesn''t quite have the pace to be a threat in behind the defence what sort of stiker is he? I think he maybe best suited in midfield..........my spin is that he''s talented but the comparisions to Sutton and Bellamy maybe a bit much

Underrated (a bit more of a struggle)

Michael Spillane - Six months younger than Martin, did''nt look out of place last year and hasn''t this despite playing in a number of different positions. He quickly and efficiently went about his business and I for one are really looking forward to him making a first team place his own next year.

Dickson Etuhu - Yes I know he gets stick for being inconsistent but for me people overlook the fact that he scored seven goals this season and played a key role in most of our best performance this year. When he''s good he''s awesome and if he could make his off days say from 1/4 to 1/6 - then we''d be lucky to hold onto him for the whole of next season.

[/quote]

Lappin. Do all wingers have to be quick and tricky? Beckham wasnt. Ok he is no Beckham but he certainly can cross the ball. Surely thats an important attribute for a winger?

He has also slotted in at LB which for me represents great VFM @ £75k. He is still only young and give him a summer and pre season on the weights and im sure he will beef up a wee bit.

Overrated

[/quote]Could not disagree more. Brings balance to the side, gives good protection to the LB, can cross, pick a pass, take a good corner and a decent free kick, is dedicated and is well settled after less than half a season... He needs more strength and presence but he''s in the gym working on that. He''s the kind of good solid Scot that every team needs, esp in this division. We''ve had our fare share recently - Gary Holt, Malky, Gunn - and all have turned out to be key players for us. I believe Lappin will be too.

Overrated

[/quote]

£75k for a player that has settled in so quickly, can play anywhere down the left or left of three midfielders, and scores the goal, from a free-kick for the first time from a Canary since shiilings were dispensed with,  that WAS the turning point of our season.

Overrated. Behave.

yer but your forgetting that he hasnt scored 20 goals yet this season and he has had one whole bad game when he rushed himself back from injury so he could play in our decapated squad also he wasnt fit for that game! Or Perhaps he he is just to passionat for most norwich fans!   (Ohh by the way, this is sacrcasim)

Lappin will be great! 

Agree with most others on here that no way is Lappin over-rated. Bargain at the price and has the potential to improve still further.

IMO Safri is the most over-rated. Fair enough under Worthington he was often our best midfielder, but he was only the best of an exceptionally poor bunch.

Hopefully by August we''ll have progressed to the point where our first choice midfield is no longer Safri and Etuhu because I dont believe we''ll go anywhere while it is.

[quote user="sonnycityfan aka Ginger Pele"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Over-rated

Under-rated

[/quote]
how on earth is hughes overrated does anyone know what it means, hardley anybody likes him and he has defended well, not just put in effort so just shut up
[/quote]

"So just shut up" - Brilliant.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Over-rated

[/quote]

Over-rated?  Never!!!  Drones on maybe. 

ZLF - I agree Shackell gets away with a lot compared to the doc it''s total double standard I also people don''t appeciate Drury as they should. I also totally with you on Earnie - for 3mill you thought he might have a first touch - personally we would''nt move on as a club until either he or Huckerby leaves. However I think we''ll lose both next season and then would''nt be able to replace either of them.

Lappin - the whole point of overrated / underrated is you cut the hype on players or built it up. I think Simon Lappin is good but not that good - I still feel he''s Clint Easton with confidence, plus we have just had him compared to David Beckham, Brian Gunn and Malky Malkay so you''re not overrating him?

[quote user="sonnycityfan aka Ginger Pele"]
how on earth is hughes overrated does anyone know what it means, hardley anybody likes him and he has defended well, not just put in effort so just shut up
[/quote]

Yeh but no.. but. yeah.... but JUST SHUT UP!

He hasnt defended well.. he has been found out at full back Position... a decent defender knows when to play his way out of trouble and knows when to whack it 80 yards to safety.

Hughes has a tendancy to think he is ronaldinho outside his own penalty area and costs us posession and goals.

jas :)

[quote user="sts"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Over-rated

[/quote]

Over-rated?  Never!!!  Drones on maybe. 

[/quote]

mum[:$]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="sonnycityfan aka Ginger Pele"]how on earth is hughes overrated does anyone know what it means, hardley anybody likes him and he has defended well, not just put in effort so just shut up [/quote]

He hasnt defended well.. he has been found out at full back Position... a decent defender knows when to play his way out of trouble and knows when to whack it 80 yards to safety.

Hughes has a tendancy to think he is ronaldinho outside his own penalty area and costs us posession and goals.

[/quote]so ronaldinho boots the ball down the field? when i watch him he does lot of trikes thta hughes has never tried in a game

so ronaldinho boots the ball down the field? when i watch him he does lot of trikes thta hughes has never tried in a game

[/quote]

Hard worker, poor ability...   He gets clapped for doing stuff that other players just do as part of a normal game.  He has added very little attacking wise at Right Back and his defensive play is poor.  He is probably a better bet than the shacky Jurgen Colin though, but that says more about Colin than Hughes.

[quote user="sonnycityfan aka Ginger Pele"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

[/quote]
so ronaldinho boots the ball down the field? when i watch him he does lot of trikes thta hughes has never tried in a game
[/quote]

read what i said again.... more carefully this time.

Good thread as it draws out not just how good players are, but the hype (fan created) around them.

Clearly in the overrated camp are

Earnie - I have to agree that although he is one of the best strikers outside the Premiership we do tend to get carried away with him. Equally Zipper is right (as nearly always) in that he upsets our team balance completely.  If a decent offer came in then yes I would accept it.

Dion - Overrated as his early consistency did drop but was not noted by most of us blinkered supporters.  Grant and Worthington both said that he needs to be used sparingly and they are right so if he re-signs then I would be looking to play him in a lot less games next season in a tactical fashion (ie where we need a big man)

Hughes the cult - He has improved but he doesn''t merit even tongue in cheek adoration that he is getting.

Underrated

Spillane - Not sure that he really is underrated but maybe just that he hasn''t had time.  However for me it is as a permanent centre back that I think he is underrated.

Rossi Jarvis - Surely should be higher up the list in terms of credit for some previous good performances

Colin - Having been his earliest big critic (carrowroad.net users will remember) he is now underrated by all in my view.

agreed face (hello by the way! long time since the worthy out protests lol!)

all the Hughes support is a Mick take where i sit.. he runs around clapping his hands so we all clap back and shout Hughes, it isnt adoration, its the fans taking the Michael out of him.

as for Colin i agree again, a great defender.. ok so he might not be that great attacking, (Grant sticking him on the wing was a stupid decision!) but he is assured at the back and with chadwick infront of him could be a great asset  to the team, i like Jurgen.

My spin on Hughes is that he''s never going to be good enough for the first team, that said he is a very useful 12th man, capable of filling in well in both full backs, positions and anywhere across the midfield to cover any short term absences.

I think a lot of the stick he gets is that we paid 500,000 for him a lot - but this figure must be placed in it''s correct context. We had just be relegated and had a fair bit to spend, we bid 1/4m just about acceptable for him, reading wanted 1/2m - Worthy told the board he wanted him (probably because of the reason above) and they did the rest.