Sign in to follow this  
Beaker

Rumour has it....

that Norwich will have a £5m transfer budget this summer. Apparently the new board members have not only loaned the club £2m to help with running costs, they have also provided a budget in the region of £5m.

Obviously it would be plain stupidity for club officials to announce this transfer budget fact, but the public spin that was announced was of a £2m shortfall being plugged. This would mean we wont get over priced on transfers, with other clubs thinking we are all but skint. It would also smokescreen the ''real'' budget. Didnt Mumby mention a few "suprises" this summer? This may just be one of them? 

I must stress this is only a rumour, but i think its believable. 

All I can do is hope - but it does feel like wishful thinking.  

But if you add in a little cash together withthe wages lost from Flem, Thorne, WLY etc £5m may be realistic if it is to cover wages too... 

Having £5m to spend on just fees doesnt really tie in with scouring Rotherham, Belgium and the Balkans though does it?

Have to say that it is good to see Jim Duffy talking about wanting to sign players with hunger - exactly the quality how comfortable squad are missing. 

i dont really think they would loan a club 2 mill then give them 5 mill as a transfer budget, i hope it is true (or mabey we will have 5 mill when we sell earnie)( which we wont do)

Well here''s hoping, since 5 million still buys quite alot if you spend it wisely.

However giving the club five million to spend, while only having a 1% stake in the shares of the club seems very generous indeed. I can''t imagine the ''Turners'' have aquired their wealth by giving money away for no return!

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

...Jim Duffy talking about wanting to sign players with hunger [/quote]

Yet people on here slagged off WLY for enjoying too many pies??

if it was a rumour that we had 5 million pounds then its pretty s**ty that its ended up on here isnt it.. because the world and his wife would then know how much we had to spend!

jas :)

[quote user="djcat"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

If that is the case sign Hartson. 

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

if it was a rumour that we had 5 million pounds then its pretty s**ty that its ended up on here isnt it.. because the world and his wife would then know how much we had to spend!

[/quote]

It''s very encouraging to know that the world and his wife read our masterpieces, jas. I must get out my old receipt book and stand by for the inflow of copyright income then.[:D]

I suppose that this additional revenue stream will be handy in helping  to fund my core activities - or maybe I should start to dabble in real estate?[<:o)]

Good to know, indeed.[;)]

OTBC

OTBC

maybe the other board members have matched the turners loan as well - just as they matched the share issue bought by supporters during our champs winning season.  it seems rather crass to buy out a director, and then put only £2m into the club - what''s the point of it. i wouldn''t be surprised to hear £5-6m being invested. 

[quote user="djcat"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

Your confusing hunger ......  with greed !    not to mention bone idleness  .[;)]

my thoughts exactly!!!

if it was kept quiet to keep us sly in the transfer market....

then KEEP IT QUIET!!!!

now apparently we offered £2.5m for luke varney but he chose charlton instead

i think theres alot in this one

[quote user="The Canary"]

now apparently we offered £2.5m for luke varney but he chose charlton instead

i think theres alot in this one

[/quote]

blowing half the budget on 1 player is worrying!

with a thin squad surely 5 1 million pound players would be better?

I had seen a rumour of 15 million on 606 at the BBC.  That amount would mean 2.5 was ok for a player.

Mind you I don''t believe any rumours of how much a manager has to spend.

I doubt these figures are being told to anyone but the board & manager + assitant manager anyway. 

There may be some others that can have a good guess - scouts (who they

are sent to look at), financial bods working for the club and board

members (how much money is being readied), the players and staff at

colney (by who is shown round). Football agencies probably have a way

of working out a guess based on bids a club makes - but they can''t see

all the figures as this would be a conflict of intrest and make their

job harder so they are unlikely to share among themselves.

I don''t see any of these groups of people particularly like to share

that info with the fans, except the players who probably have the least

data with which to make a accurate estimation.

The people with the best data to say are the financial bods - but they

can''t share privaledged info with others as they would be fired and

struck offf so they can''t get another job.

From what i can interpret, it seems that although we were interested in Varney, i don''t think we had a bid accepted. It would probably suggest that we didnt offer 2.5M, and in fact the initial fee that Charlton paid probably is no more than 2M.

However, with some interest in Varney it does suggest that there are considerable funds to use, if as PG say we are looking to bring in a number of players to strengthen the whole team. I don''t think we''d put all our money into one basket.

The board wouldnt announce that they had big money to spend because it would hamper negotiations, and so perhaps there is more to the Turners'' investment than meets the eye, especially as they do have such alot of money. It could also explain the ''suprises'' Neil Doncaster was talking about. There was also a rumour about Billy Sharp somewhere, again not cheap.

We can only hope that it''s true that we do have some cash to splash, the Varney thing seems credible so we''ll have to wait and see.

Another explanation would be the impending departure of Earnshaw!

[quote user="GJD"]

Well here''s hoping, since 5 million still buys quite alot if you spend it wisely.

However giving the club five million to spend, while only having a 1% stake in the shares of the club seems very generous indeed. I can''t imagine the ''Turners'' have aquired their wealth by giving money away for no return!

[/quote]

A 1% share ownership and both of the Turners made Directors in return, imo this is the start of a bigger role for them.

Sucession plans are key to any Business and the Suffolk two may have just found part of their plan.

Well only if you mean the £5M would come from the sale of Earnie only we forgot about the clause so now we only have £3.5M of which we will spend around £2.5M!!!!!!

[quote user="The Canary"]just thought i''d bump this as it has sort of turned out true[/quote]

"You can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time..................................."

I''ll leave you to finish this quotation Canary.