Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Comings and Goings for next season

This is speculation, but a number of pointers have emergerd.1) PG seems to want to have Marshall in goal for us, not matter how well Warner plays. Gallacher may be off, will Warner settle for number 2 or will Joe Lewis step up to the understudy role? Lewis will, if he performs well in his loan period, and after Stockport lost so heavily at home the opportunity is there for him.2) It looks likely that Thorne and McVeigh will not be retained.3) Among the younger players Henderson does not seem to have made an impact. Ditto Halliday and Fisk. Could they be released? Ryan Jarvis made a splash initially but seems to have gone quiet since. Perhaps the jury is out on him, and on his brother.4) Spillane seems to be less valued than before, not even playing central defender but right back in the minor teams, but surely he will be retained. Eagle seems to have shrunk into obscurity, and could be releasd now we have Lappin and Huckerby on the left. Smart could come through next season.5)Colin could well be released, having been replaced by the part-successful Hughes?6) The need for a central defender seems a lower priority, although we clearly need cover if Spillane is not regarded well enough.7) The strking section with Ernie, Hux, Martin(if he is not sold), Brown (if he starts scoring), and Dublin may not need immediate supplement.8) With the possible exceptionsof Marshall and Bramble, it does not look as if we shall be in the market for well-known names, so my guess is that we shall sign a few younger players with potential and one or two maturer players on Bosman. There could also be one or two from the scouting in Hungary and Spain.Overall we may lose Gallacher, Thorne, McVeigh, Henderson, Halliday, Eagle, Colin, Fisk. Eight is a lot from an already small squad. If we are to replace them then we need two or three Europeans, a similar number of Bosmans including possibly Bramble, plus two or three for whom we have to pay a bit. At least PG and Duffy seem to be taking a proactive stance, rather thasn waiting for Worthington''s holiday to be over. By the summer much of the (largely) unusable deadwood will have gone, and while the squad may not be much larger it should have better quality. Time for optimism I think!

Why get shot of Colin?

He is the only Right-back that we have at the club ffs...

If you were to let all of those players go (no matter how c**p most of them may be) and only bring in a goalkeeper, and a centre-back and then play pin a tail on a donkey with a few foreign bosman signings (et la Brian Hamilton), then how can you honestly say that "it''s time for optimism"???

getting rid of Colin would be a mistake, hes far more consistant than Hughes, no he doesnt get forward as much, but hes a more solid defender. unsuprisingly since he is one!!!.

i woudnt worry about Martin being sold, as since he doesnt have a pro contract, we cant sell him, other clubs can offer him a contract if he says yes hes gone and the best we will get is a tribunal fee for the costs of training him through the youth ranks which isnt going to be alot for a Championship level youth player with no great experience. tie him down and now.

The following players will probably be released:

Louis Jean - so obvious it doesn´t need explaining

Gallagher - obviously not in Grant´s plans as first team material

Thorne - has done so little in his time here, won´t be missed

McVeigh - talented, but unprofessional, to follow same path as Mulryne and Rivers

Henderson - hasn´t even performed well a league lower, will not make it at this level

Halliday - Doesn´t really look like he will make it

These players have featured so little, 2 or 3 replacements should suffice, particularly if some of the younger players (eg Spillane) look like making it, hence now we look safe we should let those not on loan have a go to see what they are made of.

Colin- Personally Believe he will never be any more then average, however if he can get forward more he wouldnt do himself no harm, content, and the only real right back

Louis Jean- Bye

Gallagher- Always had mixed opinons on him, can always do a job, so i think he will stay

Thorne- Bye

Mcveigh- Full of talent and being honest on his day probs the most taleneted norwich player, but so lazy its not even worth considering.

Henderson- RUBBISH! WITH A PASSION!

Halliday- Undecided

Eagle- Loan football for 6 months or so would be exellent. Hes a quality crosser and rememver lappin is a left back my trade and essentially hucks isnt going forever, i no for a fact granty knows he can do a job when put in to the team, and rememeber hes gold dust (NATURALLY LEFT FOOTED!)

I can''t see Gallacher, Colin, Halliday, Thorne, Henderson or McVeigh being here next season. They will leave one way or another.

I think Robert Eagle going out on loan for a few months would be a very good idea. But I don''t agree with Lappin as a left back. He played a lot of games as a wing back, but is pretty limited defensively.

agree with all those that could be off.

I would like to see Colin stay though, he has proved he looks a decent player in the past.

I wonder if Spillane will be off... all this hoo-har over him and he cant get anywhere near the 1st team ahead of the Doc.

jas :)

I agree in part, but I dont think they will be the only players to leave.

I think the summer will see a lot of transfer activity at CR (unprecedented at Norwich), expect a couple of big name signings, especially if Safri and / or Earnie go.

I wouldn''t be suprised to see up to 10 players leaving.  Madness I know, but I think Grant has firm ideas about what he wants to achieve.  He just needs to be quick off the mark and the club need to be very persuasive to get players in.

I can see a well known central midfielder coming in and I am certain the summer will see at least one striker arrive which will suprise everyone.  I have an incling that Grant already has the names down on paper for the goalkeepers and defenders he hopes to secure, a very short, short list, with a couple of ''reserves'' if some don''t come.

As Grant said himself, the transfer market is never closed for a manager.

I have re-read my post and I sound like Mystic Meg![:$]

Colin- doesn''t cut it for me - goes awol under pressure.  however, hughes is there positionally, but makes mistakes. 

Louis Jean- thats the way the cookie crumbles.

Gallagher- has had 3 chances to shine, PG has bought in a new keeper each time - position is surely untenable.

Thorne- looked good on paper, but didn''t deliver.

Mcveigh- fantastic talent - needs a new challenge,can spot a killer pass better than most - remember the inch perfect pass that put earnie in earlier this season?

Henderson- potential not realised at this level - hope he can make a career in lower leagues to begin with.

Halliday- don''t know enough about him.

Eagle- agree with ''follow the green and yellow'' on this - loan the boy out by next crimbo for 6 months.   he''s a natural left-footer, has fantastic passing ability and can spot a killer pass.  saw the boy play for the reserves in central midfield, his attacking link up play was top-drawer for me - neat, incisive, one-touch passing, great vision and balance - it was a joy to watch.  he runs all day, terrific engine - if he muscles up, could be awesome player.  one definitely worth retaining to see how he physically develops over the next 2 years - he''s got the talent in abundance, its how much his phyisque develops thats the key to his future now imo. 

i think that we will see an increase in squad size and that has to be critical to the amount of goings. make no mistake i think that grant is gearing up towards a hard and fast start in order to get the confidence and the fans going - any squad looking at 10-12 new people (based on about 7-8 leaving) will struggle unless they can play a fair bit in pre-season. based on that i think we''ll see 5 go and 8 come in.

i think that the squad numbers will be boosted based on the wage savings of those such as thorne and mcveigh, mlj and possibly gallacher - that way we can look forward to wage savings (prudence) and a bigger squad with rugged championship players mixed with younger, ambitious players from the lower leagues

at this point, i see no need to get rid of the really low wage earners, give them another year and see what develops, especially if another club is paying their wages.

I actually think that Joe Lewis is ready to step up to the plate as a number 2, but it would be very interesting to see what would happen if a number 1 (marshall being my choice) became crocked - that would depend on lewis'' form at that time.