Sign in to follow this  
Canary Poirot

Huckerby Roberts partnership

Why was this partnership broken? It produced a string of excellent results and the goals were going in. Then Roberts has a quiet game against WBA and Svensson is in and since then it''s been points down the pan.

People keep making the point "Roberts can''t last full 90 mins anymore" because he is 35. I seem to remember Roberts recently said in an article that after having a series of fitness tests he was in fact one of the fittest members of the squad. If we must persist with a target man, we might as well recall Iwan.

i think it was because svensson impressed when he came on against wba,i wouldnt be suprised if iwan started this weekend - i hope he does
oh,and it would be hear hear

Iwan Roberts still had a role to play for in this football club, when we cannot score or create goals, every fans will turn their head to him and he was not always disappointed us. This man know how to score goals for Norwich City. How come the club didn''t offer him a contract now? He may leave at the end of the season!!!

Do something Delia!!!

If you want excellent results just look at McKenzie/Svensson partnership a 100% return at Ipswich, Forest and Derby, not a bad return.

Guest CFrost
Huckerby and Roberts upfront. Do I need to say anymore?

Hucks and Roberts not the answer! Hucks and Mckenzie yes,NW then has the choice, 2 bring Roberts on later, Mckenzie is like a untamed horse, he''s fired up,and wants 2 score. he''s exciting to watch..

I think I''m going to have to offer a bit of a defence for poor old Svensson here. I think the problem is that he''s not an old-fashioned target man, in the same way that Iwan is. One of the things I noticed about Sven is that he looks far more comfortbable with the ball at his feet. If we''re going to insist on playing long-ball, then we should go with Iwan. But if we want to start trying to pass the ball - something I''m sure we all want to see - then we should try using Svensson''s feet. He likes to play in Hucks, has a fantastic left foot (that strike against Gillingham deserved a goal) and could prove an excellent player. What is apparent now is that Sven isn''t, and never will be, a direct replacement for Iwan.

Anyway, I think McKenzie is chomping at the bit for another chance to play alongside Hucks. I''m sure the amount of chances Hucks creates would be bread and butter to a finisher of McKenzie''s quality. Let''s get the ball down, keep it on the floor, and use the pace we have in the side to beat teams.

Don''t get me wrong- I totally understand what everybody is saying on this thread, but what happens if Roberts starts against Stoke and has a shocker? Last week we had a thread which basically said "Play Sven" and it got dozens of replies saying yes.. Don''t get me wrong, Sven had an awful game at Palace, but I just worry that if Roberts plays as badly we''re going to be monaing and moving on to another striker to play with Hucks.

If I''m honest I''d like to play Hucks with a traget man. I don''t think Sven is the answer, but at the same time I''m not 100% sure about Roberts these days. I know it''s very very easy to say, but I''d like another striker (target man) to come in on loan. Don''t ask me who! I''m not holding me breath.

I would love to see Hucks play up front with McKenzie. If we kept it on the floor and didn''t try and hit it long for the front two, this could work really really well. I just worry that we would isolate McHucks as we''d still look for the long ball.

Agree with you, I wanted Sven to play, but he has not performed the way I thought he would, Hucks and Mckenzie must be the answer, but the game has to change, maybe Nige has someone in mind (target man) is 2morrow the final day for loan transfers?

I agree with the stats (don''t have a choice) but not too long ago everyone was saying iwan was past it and remember someone saying he was fast losing his legendary status!! Now svensons not worked people are moaning the other way!! make up your minds!!

Guest CFrost
IWAN TO START ON SATURDAY ALONGSIDE HUCKS!

IVE NEVER MOANED. I''VE ALWAYS STICKED TO WHAT I''VE ALWAYS SAID AND THATS IWAN AND HUCKS UPFRONT, NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE ELSE HAS SAID.

YEAH MAKE YOUR MINDS UP PEOPLE!

I''ve been advoctaing for a while now that Iwan is an ideal supersub. 30 mins to go, needing a goal, there''s not many I would rather have coming on than big Iwan.

I think that another thread has already identified that Hucks plays WIDE on the left, so flick-ons by a target man aren''t going to produce much at all. If we play the McHucks partnership, we MUST get the ball down and play it through the midfield to them.