Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

"You can't please all the people..."

Is there any prospective manager who has not been rejected by other posters? If so, I haven''t noticed. Those wanted by some fans have been dismissed by others as former players, lacking experience, too old, wrong approach, took too long, to much a showman, cost too much, - to name but a few reasons given.The simple fact is that the Board will not be able to please everyone, and some fans may be even aghast at the appointment.We have aired our views, and now it is time for the Board to decide, we hope with expert advice. Whoever is appointed, and however much we are disappointed, we must banish the acrimony of the past years and get behind the Board and manager, and stay behind them, and support the team as only Norwich fans can.We all hope that the new manager will have ability, flexibility and vision, but even if he disappoints us in the early days we owe him our support over months and years.On the ball City!

I was about to post the same topic when I saw this one.

Whoever is appointed will get a negative reception from some sections of the fans as we all have different ideas on who the ideal candidate is - eg established or emerging talent for one.

However the new guy, even if god forbid it is wilkinson or Robson, has to have our backing for at least 18 months.

All we can do is hope that the board chose the right man;  if its an unknown then I am confident it is for the right attributes not lack of ambition. likewise an experienced man brought in for an ability to repeat previous performances.  We have to unite now - and not let our personal preferences help send this club into a spiral of malcontent and a millwall like merry-go-round of more managerial arrivals than players. 

Well said, Salopian. Whoever the board choose for manager, it is essential that we all give the new man our 100% backing. I don''t think I could tolerate another period of turbulence and disharmony like the last 12 months or so that we have suffered. It all becomes a wee bit depressing.  Let''s put a stop to this questioning the board''s competence and give them our full support. OTBC!

I guess we all have a vision of what we would like to see at Carrow Road. For some it is the Premiership at all costs....for others it will be the wish to see exciting football every week. The one doesn''t guarantee the other unfortunately.

I''m desperately hoping the Board will be adventurous enough to bring a culture change to the club.....but whoever they pick I am determined to see given a chance. There are some real potential horror stories out there........in the form of Robson, Wilkinson, Megson etc......so we can but wait and see.

If they get it wrong again though.......the board won''t survive and sadly, neither will the club. This appointment is THAT important........

That''s the whole thing about posting on a messageboard, there''s no consequences if we get it wrong. I would say most of us get it wrong on here more than we like to admit. But we all get it right sometimes, even me!

Very few people wanted the last manager at the time he was appointed, after he''d been here 3 years everybody wanted him and it''s only over the last 2 years we are back to "I never wanted him in the first place".

So maybe it''s a good job we don''t have to choose the next manager, but we can still share our opinions on here, but hopefully we can all unite behind the new guy whoever it may be.

Salopian wrote, " The simple fact is that the Board will not be able to please everyone, and some fans may be even aghast at the appointment ".

Quite true but I think we all know that our present slim chance of escaping this division -- in the right direction -- will evaporate if Robson gets the appointment.

For as sure as night follows day we''ll then be looking for a new leading goalscorer come January.

Unfortunately for the board the right choice may invariably prove to be the most unpopular.  Worthington was a very unpopular choice and I don''t think many people wanted him at the time.  He did however prove to be the right man for the job with his success in his first 3 seasons.

The worst thing the board can do in my opinion is try and score quick points by appointing the most popular candidate purely because they are popular.  If they want someone like Bowen because of his coaching ability, that''s fine.  If they want him just to keep the fans quiet then it''s dangerous.

I am sure the board will make a decision based upon who they feel is most likely to bring success to the club BUT you just always have the worry in the back of your mind that they will take the cheap option, just because.

I will support the new manager – whoever it may be.  I just hope the majority of fans are expecting an immediate “fix” because it could take time.

I agree to some extent with the gist of this thread. However, some potential cadidates are far less popular than others. For example, there seem to be very few posters in favour of Hunter or Robson. I hope the opinion of the supporters enters into the equation at least to some extent. 

I guess that while the Board will have the ultimate choice.....the views of the City fans must be considered. Surely they aren''t out of touch enough to pick Robson or his like. If they did, the first poor run would start this whole thing off again.

Personally I''m not bothered about a hasty return to the Premiership. It would be nice.....but I''d rather see this great club reform and get back to decent football. That is what we are known for.......but players capable of doing it are thin on the ground.....and expensive.

With all of the foreign players in the game now.....surely there are plenty of British young hopefuls looking for a break. It may take time......but I''m happy with that as long as I feel things are moving in the right direction. For a long time I have been very disillusioned.........but the chance is there now to move on.

I fear this seed is being sown on some very stony ground!Some posters on here seem to be power-crazed with the idea that they personally arranged for Worthy to go. They have already started to try and get a campaign going to clear some directors out of the club and I''m sure any manager deemed unsuitable by this minority will face protests within 3 months, should they fail to have an immediate impact.I hope I''m just being overly pessimistic (not a usual trait for me), but I''ve been quite disheartened by some of the gloating comments and ''I saw myself on telly!''

Fair comment Barman...but it should never have been allowed to get like that. I think what may seem like gloating by some is just a big sigh of relief that it''s all over. But for the protests...who knows where it would have ended. Too late to moan when we''d ended up in the old Div.3.

I still have issues with the board.......but I''m more than happy to eat my words if they pull that rabbit out of the hat. We don''t ask that much at Carrow Road......we just want to be excited now and again.........

I just can''t wait for the appointment of a new manager.......so I can start some more serious moanin'' and whingeing...... I hope it''s someone I really don''t like or that I think is an underachiever - then I can start bleatin'' and be up in arms straightaway![8o|]

I think Mr Hunter may be the chap........cheapest option - and he knows the ''gossamer thin'' squad......

Oh, and he was sat in the Director''s box on Sunday as well!........So there![:P]

[quote user="Fat Barman"]I fear this seed is being sown on some very stony ground!

Some posters on here seem to be power-crazed with the idea that they personally arranged for Worthy to go. They have already started to try and get a campaign going to clear some directors out of the club and I''m sure any manager deemed unsuitable by this minority will face protests within 3 months, should they fail to have an immediate impact.

I hope I''m just being overly pessimistic (not a usual trait for me), but I''ve been quite disheartened by some of the gloating comments and ''I saw myself on telly!''
[/quote]

yes we must learn the lessons this time - whenwe protested in the ground we got rid of worthy right away. if we do this much earlier then we can get rid of the board. most of us want them out too and when the fans get fed up of losing WO will become board out so we can get rid of them . i know it makes BO so we need to think of a new name tho!

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

I just can''t wait for the appointment of a new manager.......so I can start some more serious moanin'' and whingeing...... I hope it''s someone I really don''t like or that I think is an underachiever - then I can start bleatin'' and be up in arms straightaway![8o|]

I think Mr Hunter may be the chap........cheapest option - and he knows the ''gossamer thin'' squad......

Oh, and he was sat in the Director''s box on Sunday as well!........So there![:P]

[/quote]

Surely they wouldn''t dare would they?........Not even our Board could be that out of touch.

Gossamer....thats a funny word...always reminds me of rubber Jo.............

[quote user="Yellow fever"]they wont pick robson cos he is to expensive - and he is ill isnt he[/quote]Please note, guys - this is a joke, a wind-up, binner alert - ignore, ignore.

[quote user="Fat Barman"][quote user="Yellow fever"]they wont pick robson cos he is to expensive - and he is ill isnt he[/quote]

Please note, guys - this is a joke, a wind-up, binner alert - ignore, ignore.
[/quote]

I sussed him out awhile back........let him have his fun.