Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

I was willing to play: Leon

Well, well - obviously Worthless thought his head wasn''t right....  Unless L:eon is lying, then again Worthington has lied in the past.

http://new.pinkun.com/content/ncfc/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PinkUnOnline&tCategory=Norwich&itemid=NOED21%20Aug%202006%2012%3A43%3A02%3A320Norwich

City striker Leon McKenzie today refuted claims that his head was not right after failing to travel with the team to Derby for Saturday''s match.

The 28-year-old want-away striker insists he turned up for training last Friday prepared to play, but was told he would not be needed that day.

It was after that decision was taken that McKenzie decided it would not be right to travel with the rest of his City team-mates to Pride Park.

“I turned up in my tracksuit on Friday and I was ready to train, but Nigel Worthington told me he didn''t want me to train,” said McKenzie, who has had at least two offers from Coventry turned down for his services.

it appears that someone is not telling the truth. if worthy says he doesnt want leon for training i cant blame the guy for not travelling  as he wouldnt have been picked. it appears that there are still a few players who worthy is intent on not treating fairly, ala mcveigh last season and the rumour he a few days ago that he was still unhappy. leon should be in the team instead of robinson in my opinion as we are poor up front away from home.

[quote user="Worthington - Pinkun"]

“That''s something he''s thought about and thought was right for him, At the end of the day I don''t want a player round me that''s head is not right to go and do the job. 
The players out here today have been tremendous and I feel for them a little bit because that dressing room has to be solid and for somebody to do what''s happening at the moment, against their own teammates, manager, football club and the supporters, is hugely disappointing. Especially the way he''s been looked after at this football club.[/quote]

This isn''t a defense of Worthington, but it might partly explain why he might have told Leon not to train.  I guess he feels that all players need to be focussed on the job rather than on external pressures.  To my mind, this has to be a positive thing.  He obviously feels let down after Leon has spent the best part of last season unavailable for selection, for whatever reason.

I hope Leon moves to Coventry, that we get a decent price for him, and that he is a success there.  That would be the best outcome for all concerned.

It''s interesting that you "forgot" to quote McKenzie where he said that he chose not to go Saturday.  Funnily enough it''s the next line of the article you have quoted. [:p]

I think the headline is very misleading.  It should say he was prepared to train.

Whatever going on it''s turning into a sorry situation.  I have to say that I think both the club and McKenzie have handled this quite poorly by "talking" through the press.

[quote user="Saint Canary"]

It''s interesting that you "forgot" to quote McKenzie where he said that he chose not to go Saturday.  Funnily enough it''s the next line of the article you have quoted. [:p]

I think the headline is very misleading.  It should say he was prepared to train.

Whatever going on it''s turning into a sorry situation.  I have to say that I think both the club and McKenzie have handled this quite poorly by "talking" through the press.

[/quote]

after being tod he wasnt playing, and couldn''t train, its no surprise he should give this information to the press to ensure a quick and speedy transfer.  Its a shame its the sort of thing which will reduce the amount of money we receive for him.

I think you''re right Wiz cause in the EEN Worthy says that he doesn''t want anyone spoiling the great spirit there is at the club at the moment.

Shame its ended like this for Leon cause hes a hero here.

[quote user="Saint Canary"]

[/quote]Mckenzie choose not to go on saturday because of worthy, if worthington wants him to fight for his place he should be letting him train, worthy seems to be saying one thing and doing another. I stand by my original judgement that worthy is the one causing the problem. Mckenzie seems more than up to fight for his place, why does worthy seem to be holding him back.

[quote]Mckenzie seems more than up to fight for his place, why does worthy seem to be holding him back.[/quote]

For the same reason that employees are given "gardening leave" instead of a notice period if they have arranged to take a job with a competitor.  If McKenzie isn''t in training, he can''t cause problems within the squad.  I''m not saying he would, but it removes the possibility. 

agreed blah, but if the squad believes leon has been handled harshly, they will naturally have sympathy for him.  i hope worthy has judged the mood of the players correctly beforehand, perhaps talking with the senior team members before making his alleged decision to bar mckenzie from training with the squad on friday.  as we saw last season, mood music is vital to success and we all want that for city.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote]Mckenzie seems more than up to fight for his place, why does worthy seem to be holding him back.[/quote]

For the same reason that employees are given "gardening leave" instead of a notice period if they have arranged to take a job with a competitor.  If McKenzie isn''t in training, he can''t cause problems within the squad.  I''m not saying he would, but it removes the possibility. 

[/quote]Thats a fair enough point Blah.Worthy has made his desision, I don''t agree with it but for the sake of the club I hope its the right one

Mckenzie has put Worthers in an impossible position by requesting a transfer 3 games into a new season because he is not playing. I think Mckenzie is a pathetic petulant little kid who should remember who was paying his wages when he spent most of last season sorting out his messy family life and recovering from injuries. What does Worthy do once someone says they want to leave because they are not playing ? If he stays on the bench then the player will get more unhappy and if he plays what sort of example is Worthers setting to everyone ? Worthers has ballsed this up though , he should of told mckenzie to be patient and to calm down or he should of said "fair enough Leon we''ll get the best deal for you"

[quote user="Misery Guts"]What does Worthy do once someone says they want to leave because they are not playing ? If he stays on the bench then the player will get more unhappy and if he plays what sort of example is Worthers setting to everyone?[/quote]

Very true.  What kind of situation would the club find itself in if Worthington automatically put Leon back in the team because he was unhappy?  Every player not in the starting 11 would be handing in transfer requests.

Leon is obviously frustrated by lack of football but he should have just bided his time or discussed the possibility of a move with Worthington during the preseason.  What he should not of done is hand in a transfer request 3 weeks before the transfer deadline during a period where City have found it very difficult to bring in new players.  He knows it''s been difficult for the club to bring in new players, he knows we have a small squad with a lot of young players.  Despite that and despite it being very close to the transfer deadline and only 3 games into the season he has decided to put in a request to leave.  Bad timing to say the least.  The only reason I can think of as to why he would ask at this time is that he knew that Coventry or another club were interested in him.

Again I agree with misery guts that Worthington has hardly covered himself in glory over this matter either.  He should have said “yes you can leave”, or “no you can''t” and kept it behind closed doors.  I could be wrong but the first time I read about this was when the club made statement saying a request for a transfer had been refused.  I just don''t know why they have made this and other information public because it''s not far off from name calling between Worthy and Leon.