Sign in to follow this  
Indy_Bones

Are we missing what's in front of our noses?

We''ve had endless posts these last 2 weeks on why we should/n''t sign Sutton, but then I had a thought...

Interestingly enough if you do a player comparison between Sutton and

Thorne, you''ll see that on paper, they have almost the same record

performance wise.

Thorne has averaged 0.35 goals per game, to Sutton''s 0.37

Both had a pretty poor last season mainly caused by injuries.

Both are a similar height (Sutton edges this by 3" at 6ft3 compared to Thorne''s 6ft)

As for Age, Thorne was born 21/06/1973 compared to Sutton 10/03/1973, so Thorne is actually 3 months younger...

Also, Thorne has previously played with Earnie before during their time

at Cardiff and they formed a pretty awesome (At this level anyway)

strike team.

Personally, I''d like to see the guy given a chance if we insist on

playing a target man. He''s scored in pre-season and accordingly to

reports, looks like he''s getting back to the sort of sharpness he

showed at Cardiff. You can also add in the fact that he won''t cost us

any extra wages, and if after a number of games, he''s still not

"cuttting the mustard", we can give someone like Jarvo or McVeigh a

chance.

Thoughts?

please dont try to compare thorne to sutton because if you do you will end up sounding stupid. your stats on goals are based on to different levels (suttons have all been achieved in top flight football and thorne has been a hit in the lower divisions, there is a differance). also can thorne be classed as good cover for the center backs and center midfielders cos sutton certainly can.

[quote user="Chris Meadows"]thorne has barely/never played in the premiership whereas Sutton has for most of his carear[/quote]

And your point is?

We are not talking about playing Premiership football, and even if we

were, since leaving Blackburn Sutton''s premiership record is abysmal. 1

in 28 for Chelsea, followed by 1 in 11 for Birmingham, hardly inspires

me with confidence.

Thorne (aside from last season) is a proven goalscorer at this level,

and he proved it in a Cardiff team which was hardly setting the world

alight, their best 2 players at the time were arguably him and Earnie,

and without them they''d have got stuffed far worse than they did.

Thorne is already on the payroll and his wages are within the clubs'' wage structure, Suttons'' wages would take up money for 2 players, and even if he was pay-to-play the wages would still need to be set aside as if he were playing, therefore cutting the small amount of money available even further.

what we''ve got in front of our noses is the evidence of last season as far as Thorne goes....when he did play he didnt look much of a target man to me anyway (I think Leon can do anything he can and better) and to be quite honest looked like his legs had gone, I dont know if the same is true for Sutton but we could always give him a medical / trial to find out,

Thorne was dreadful last season. When he did eventually get paired up with Earnie it was like the two had never even met.

just wondering how much sutton would want each week to play for norwich? seeing as this has not been discussed i would like to know how blah knows it would take up the wages of 2 players.

3 inches difference does not constitute ''similar height''. Also Sutton has basically been playing consistently higher class football. 

What we are missing is a target man, not a goalscorer. Earnie does that bit!

The disappointmnet with Thorne last year was that he seldom seamed to provide the flicks and passes that Earnie could make anything of. IMO Suttons great strength has never been his goalscoring but he has always been an intelegent player. I remember his first game for Birmingham where MOTD choose to highlight his contribution: terrific passes, dummies and bringing other players into the game. He did not score.

For me there is just no comparison. On last years evidence Thorne did not produce, hopefully this year things will be different, but I for one can''t see it happening.

[quote]just wondering how much sutton would want each week to play for norwich? seeing as this has not been discussed i would like to know how blah knows it would take up the wages of 2 players.
[/quote]

He''s been playing in the premiership and the Scottish Premier League.  Also there was a piece in the EEN which said that if he took a 50% pay cut, he would still be the highest wage earner at NCFC.

FFS,

This post was not about how much Sutton would want in wages, if you

want to bang on about that, either go start your own thread, or hijack

someone elses...

i think the rumour that  league one brighton  were interested  in thorne  at the end of last season  says it all.  sutton, meanwhile is a class act and the missing piece in our front line jigsaw, just like ewan he can adeptly hold the ball up and unlike ewan has a greater skill and capacity to link play up and put other players in, just like he did at celtic with larrson etc.  just imagine sutty interplaying with hucks/crofty to put earnie in on goal, and also putting through balls/knockdowns for earnie to run onto to - earnie needs balls he can run onto and use his pace, not balls that are hoofed upto him. for me, mckenzie is 100% positive attitude and never say die, but i doubt he will get more than 9-12 goals this season, and he doesn''t compare with suttons football ability to set others up.

Well said, Indy.  This board is quickly becoming a breeding ground for the Chris Sutton Fan Club.  See my "SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP" thread.

It''s like the whole board has become a broken record, I''ve seen the same arguments go in circles, and yet I still don''t see Chris Sutton parading in a 2006/7 NCFC shirt, as some on these boards seem to think would happen if they mentioned his name enough.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]i think the rumour that  league

one brighton  were interested  in thorne  at the end of

last season  says it all.  .[/quote]

Errr...No, I don''t think it does. Brighton have been desperately trying

to find a striker to hit 15+ goals a season, since the day Zamora left

for Spurs. Thorne has a proven track record, so would have made a good

signing for Brighton tbh.

As for this ''Sutton is a class act'' waffle. When was he last truly a

class act? It wasn''t last season for Brum - he was awful. It wasn''t up

in Scotland, as my local pub side could beat half the teams up there.

It certainly wasn''t at Chelsea following his big 10 million pound move

(1 goal in 28 games is hardly showing ''class''). It''s when he was with

Blackburn 7 years ago that he could be termed a ''class act''.

Seeing as how Thorne played the provider to Earnie so many times for

Cardiff, i''m amazed at how short sighted many fans are about the

possibility of these two getting a great link up established again.

But I guess that giving a guy returning from injury only 10 starts is a

fair indication of how he''ll play this year when fully fit...

Don''t talk such rot.

Clown Out

Maybe someone should take you up on your name and eject you from the forums?

Thorne has already averaged over 13 goals a season at this level so don''t come on here talking crap,

You want to have no faith in him as a player - fine, but at least use some common sense to not post suich refutable shite.