Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

Worthy on Sutton - spot the inconsistency in this statement!

from WOTB:

"We won''t be signing Chris Sutton - that is the end of the matter," said Worthington. "Chris Sutton has been an excellent player, not only for this club, but for other clubs.

"But as far as I''m concerned it''s dead, it''s finished. And people have had their answer many times on that one. If we can find that player, the likes of Chris Sutton, then we''d love to bring him into the club."

WORTHY OUT

So because hes so determined and commited to us, he should be signed?

Hmm, maybe Hughes should stay here forever to? He dont have ability but hey, he shows determination.

The part omitted from Worthy''s statement, is where he gives his reasons!Chris Sutton is too old and has had too many injury problems - as far as Worthy is concerned - this doesn''t mean that there is any inconsistency in looking for a player of  ''the likes of Chris Sutton'', only without the age and/or injury handicaps.

Yeah, but why are we not even talking to him to find out his wage demands?  perhaps Pay as you play like Solskier and Jeffers??  Or even trialing him to see what he has got??  The opportunity to sign an ex premiership striker in the mould we require should not be sniffed at.  If it wasnt for the fact he wants to move back to Norfolk we wouldnt have a chance of signing him anyway as birmingham would pick him up.

I think Sutton would be a fantastic signing he loves the club and Norfolk and is still a quality player yes he is a bit injury prone but i would say that him Earnie, Hucks, Leon and Croft would get us out of this league again this season. 

[ip]

The ovation Sutton would get would be fantastic he still has 2 or 3 years left playing at top level and could then always play at Centre half where he is just as good.  He is only 2 years older than Howard and is proven and free and is comitted what on earth are we waiting for some rubbish lower league over priced player, lets do what we can to get out of fizzy league and if that means Sutton and Ince well lets do it we have plenty of younger lads who would come on leaps and bounds with these guys beside them.....

The Sutton ''Pay-as-you-Play'' deal is a no lose situation. This negates Worthingtons fears of a potential injury occuring, but our board, i.e Delia doesn''t want to know.

She would rather build a chapel. Great. Just great...

Surely, even a pay-as-you-play involves some form of contract?Taking on Chris Sutton could leave the pot short of wages for further signings - we don''t even know how little he''d accept (maybe Worthy does?), Birmingham will only talk to him if he accepts a decent wage cut (according to their web reports).

[quote user="Fat Barman"]Surely, even a pay-as-you-play involves some form of contract?
Taking on Chris Sutton could leave the pot short of wages for further signings - we don''t even know how little he''d accept (maybe Worthy does?), Birmingham will only talk to him if he accepts a decent wage cut (according to their web reports).
[/quote]

I Understand where you are coming from, but why havent we even invited him for a trial? He is Chris Sutton and is only 33, so has at least one good season in him?  he would certainly be an improvement on Peter Thorne, and can also play midfield and Defense?

Oh well, it isnt going to happen anyway.....

Why does everyone keep going on about this?

Especially seeing as how most are missing the key fact - Our main 2

strikers are Earnie & Leon. Thorne is a sub at best, so why make

out that he''s the first name on the team sheet?

Sutton is past it, and would only encourage us to play endless long balls towards him.

Keep up the firm stance Worthy and leave Sutton well alone.

The point is we haven''t even asked or spoken to him about it which has been confirmed by both Worthington and Sutton. Given our need for a target man and his availability and desire to play for us this is criminal

Paul, imagine if we trialed him and didn''t sign him up. Even if there were perfectly legitimate reasons for not offering him a contract, both Worthy and the Board would be slated from all sides.

Still, wouldn''t make too much of a change, would it?!

Really though - either we sign him, or we don''t. In an ideal world a trial would be perfect, but in this case I think it would make more problems than it solves.

I''d love to see him back for football reasons. But even if he took a 50% pay cut he would still be the highest earner at the club. And he ain''t going to take a 50% pay cut!