Sign in to follow this  
Ulf Ottosson

Huckerby's God Complex

Is anyone else getting bored of Hucks constant statements to the press. Me thinks he''s started to think he''s bigger than the club I found his comments about how if he wanted to get Worthy sacked last year he could have very offensive, now his comments on transfers and his comments about retiring if Norwich don''t offer him a new contract talk about black mailing the club. I''d like to see an interview with another member of the squad.

I think he may have gone from Best in Club to Bigger than the Club.

Completely the opposite actually. I think it is a good thing that we actually have one of our senior players coming out and talking a lot of sense in the press and I have agreed with much of what he has said. I think you are right - he has realised that he can do it because wothington''s standing with the fans is so poor that if Worthy dropped hucks and they had a fall out there would only  be one winner. As for him saying he could have got worthy sacked he didn''t actually say that (more that things could have got worse if he had not backed him) but even if he had said it its true so I don''t see why its so offensive.

Ulf,

I take it that from your comments that you think he goes to the press to make these statements.

That just doesn''t happen. Players get interviewed by the media because the media want an opinion and a story. They ask questions and players give answers to those questions. He is one of our most senior and well known players and therfore an ideal interviewee from the perspective of a reporter.

End of story. That''s it I''m afraid, no smoke or fire here.

[quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]

Is anyone else getting bored of Hucks constant statements to the press. Me thinks he''s started to think he''s bigger than the club I found his comments about how if he wanted to get Worthy sacked last year he could have very offensive, now his comments on transfers and his comments about retiring if Norwich don''t offer him a new contract talk about black mailing the club. I''d like to see an interview with another member of the squad.

[/quote]

Did you actually READ  what Hucks had to say ?  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Much of the vitriol from last season''s failed campaign still remains and Huckerby is desperate to get off to a good start come August 5 at Elland Road to dispel the anger - the first five games are make or break.

“All I can say is give us a go. It''s not just the gaffer, it''s all of us. Give us a go to try and put things right, if not then things will have to be changed. Let''s not beat around the bush - if things don''t improve then all of us might be looking elsewhere. Just give us a chance to turn it around and if it does not work then changes will have to be made as that''s how it happens in the world.”

Under-pressure manager Nigel Worthington has the full backing of his star player, but Huckerby admits there were times last season when things got a little bit fraught.

Huckerby added: “I think that if I had turned away and not backed the manager then it could have snowballed even further out of control. There are times when players are not happy with the manager all of the time. There were certainly times like when I didn''t play against Ipswich that I wasn''t happy. It was the biggest game of the season live on TV.

“At the time I wasn''t happy but we are in a professional sport and sometimes that happens. It''s not the first time and might not be the last. I''ve never fallen out with a manager that I have got to know over a number of years like Nigel.

“I don''t think he should have taken as much stick as he did, to be honest. It''s got to go down to the players. He picks the team and buys the players and has a massive contribution in that sense, but it''s the players, if they are good enough, who should be able to do what he is asking.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apart from the FACT that  he`s only made a FEW  interviews , and these would have been at the bequest of the press  anyway !     I think your remark that  he`s got a God complex  is pretty insulting ......  maybe if he was norwegian   you`d be clapping your hands at everything he says , eh ?    

In his interviews  he was just saying it like it is ,   he sits in the dressing room at every match .......  therefore  knows what is going on  first hand  ,  not playing guessing games  like posters have to do !    and sticking up for the manager  , and having a go at the players  , takes a certain amount of courage ...........  

As for him blackmailing the club !!   its so out of character as to be ludicrous !   all he said was that if the club decided  not to renew his contract  he would retire , whats wrong with that ?   there comes a time in every footballers career  when  he knows its time to call it a day  ,  and I just can`t see this club   refusing to renew  his contract   until that time arrives ... can you ?

I see these interviews  coming  with the tacit approval of the manager  !   whether this is a good thing I don`t know  .....  but if this IS the case  , then that would  be making him a captain  in all but name ?   I happen to think he SHOULD be the captain  !    certainly he`s  an excellent role model   to the academy lads  ..........

[quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]

[/quote]

He speaks from the heart because he cares so much about our club - we are extremely lucky to have him.

Mark .Y.

Where did he say he could have got him sacked?

No I''m not bored with his comments I think he has his feet firmly on the ground and is sympathetic to the frustration us fans are feeling.

Keep them coming Hucks, you are our God!!!

Sorry Ulf, I think you''re very wrong on this. Hucks loves this club and that''s good enough for me. Amongst today''s money grabbers, its refreshing to have a player like him at our club.

The only worry I have is that Worthy will have a spiteful fit, a la Bently, and drop him, making us all suffer. And of course the small matter of Hucks being the star of Norwich, whereas Worthy isn''t!.

I''d like to join this Hucks-lovin'' band wagon!

I like the interviews with Hucks - in terms of his honesty and spin-free comments, he''s almost the Anti-Nige.

At no time has he been arrogant or suggested that he is bigger than this club, he just says it as he sees it.  He''s right in suggesting that if the senior players didn''t back Worthy last season then things may have turned out differently for the manager, and he''s even said that he feels sorry for the fans that no signings have been made, whilst also stating that Worthy and co. are actually trying - so in effect he''s backed both sides of the argument!

Keep ''em coming, I say...

How is saying he will retire blackmailing the club?  What he is saying is that if the City don''t want him he will hang up his boots.  He''s not asking for more money!  He is not saying that if City don''t give him what he wants he will walk out and join another club for free - that would be blackmail.

As people have said - he has been asked questions.  He has not prepared press statements and called a conference.

Anyone else want to join the Hucks-lovin''band wagon?

Is so sign here [:)]

He is empowered by retirement and will probably give Worthy a Zidane in his last appearence.

Hucks is clearly after something, probably another job.

I agree, Hucks is doing no harm and his press statements are hardly "constant"I would have thought he''s approached by journalists rather than them approaching him, and its refreshing to hear a player eloquently speaking their mind.Maybe he does know he''s highly regarded enough to get away with it. So what? Its not like hes saying anything divisive or controversial. All I know is that if every professional at the club took their job as seriously as Hucks appears to take his, we''d have been Champions last year.

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]I do not think Hucks thinks he is bigger than the club, he knows it is safe to make the statements he is because even NW would not be stupid enough to drop him the way things are at the moment.[/quote]

I don''t recall Hucks saying anything that would make NW want to drop him.  I suppose it depends how people interpret it.

Well dare I say anything against Hucks but I think the statment “I think that if I had turned away and not backed the manager then it could have snowballed even further out of control" is not admittance he could have got him the sack then I don''t know what is - read between the lines people!

And the Headline "Huckerby baffled by lack of signing" - well could you imagine the furore if someone like Rooney said this about Man U - reading this you could say he criticised the board and manager for failing to supply funds and sign players. He has also criticised the current team by stating they are not good enough as he cannot understand why new players haven''t been brought in.

All I say is some of the things he said border on abusing his position as fans favourite and personally I''d have liked to have heard from different members of the team the captain for instance or the player of the season.