cambridgeshire canary

Barnes to be fit for playoff final

Sara has been put in that 10 position a few times and can definitely make a difference there. Although I feel like he's looked better when played wider. 

Rowe hasn't been used in that position as far as memory serves? So I imagine he'd go back to the wing and Sara would play behind Sarge. 

It is difficult to know whether the forced inclusion of Rowe for Barnes will be for the better or the worse in the play-offs.

Rowe's comeback hasn't, as yet, proven to be as impactful as Sargent's was, but the potential is there.

It's most certainly a chalk and cheese situation. 

DW will have some re-thinking to do, and I would hope that doesn't include Fassnacht as a starter.

3 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

DW will have some re-thinking to do, and I would hope that doesn't include Fassnacht as a starter.

I'm actually of the opinion that Fassnacht could be the most natural replacement in that Barnes position. He's got a great touch, intelligent, knows where to be in the box and isn't very fast. I think he'd certainly have a better time of it than playing out wide.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

I'm actually of the opinion that Fassnacht could be the most natural replacement in that Barnes position. He's got a great touch, intelligent, knows where to be in the box and isn't very fast. I think he'd certainly have a better time of it than playing out wide.

Also has the advantage that he and Sara can swap positions,  which worked well against Swansea, with Sara scoring his goal from the ten and setting up Sargent from the right. Gives us a fluidity that we don't have with Barnes starting.

Personally I like the idea of trying Rowe at ten, but don't see he has the stamina to play it in the pressing way that Wagner demands of that position. I'd start with Sainz, Fass and Sara behind Sargent,  with Rowe on the bench. 

• Like 1

On 03/05/2024 at 08:33, BroadstairsR said:

It is difficult to know whether the forced inclusion of Rowe for Barnes will be for the better or the worse in the play-offs.

Rowe's comeback hasn't, as yet, proven to be as impactful as Sargent's was, but the potential is there.

It's most certainly a chalk and cheese situation. 

Who says Rowe is replacing Barnes? Just watch as Hugejdonk and Sargent are side by side today with Sara and Rowe on the wings..

Of course this probably won't happen but hey, it may

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

Agree with this, and Fassnacht's shown some very clever flicks and one-touch lay-offs that, if the team-mates are in sync, are precisely the kind of thing that can unhinge well-organised defences. Not to mention, he's always good value for turning up at the back stick if anything's sent in from wide.

EDIT: Rowe at 10 would mean playing it as the classic "free role" behind the striker. Could certainly get the best of Rowe, but not sure it fits the team structure very well as we need a guy there who's a good presser. Agree that it should be, from left to right, Sainz, Fassnacht, Sara. 

Sara should really be allowed to come off the right flank now in the "Buendia" position. He's not a number 10.

Edited by TheGunnShow

22 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

EDIT: Rowe at 10 would mean playing it as the classic "free role" behind the striker. Could certainly get the best of Rowe, but not sure it fits the team structure very well as we need a guy there who's a good presser. Agree that it should be, from left to right, Sainz, Fassnacht, Sara. 

Sara should really be allowed to come off the right flank now in the "Buendia" position. He's not a number 10.

Yeah, agree with this. Broke my heart a bit to watch Sara pressing in the ten role last week. Seemed like such a waste of his energy. Obviously he can play there, because he's ace. But on balance, coming in off the right is surely his best position.

24 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Agree with this, and Fassnacht's shown some very clever flicks and one-touch lay-offs that, if the team-mates are in sync, are precisely the kind of thing that can unhinge well-organised defences. Not to mention, he's always good value for turning up at the back stick if anything's sent in from wide.

Yeah. Fassnacht is pretty underrated if you ask me. Thought he had a good game last weekend.

3 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Yeah. Fassnacht is pretty underrated if you ask me. Thought he had a good game last weekend.

He doesn't always look effective but he does manage to get in the right positions and he scores goals. 

Posted (edited)

Wonder where people are with Barnes now?

Not really sure what he does when he plays ...and yet we seem to miss him when he's not there?!

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary
  • Like 1

With no Barnes, or a credible no.10, Sargent was a spare part today. 

Thought our entire midfield looked off. Hopefully out of the system now for a more important match next week.