Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Queen statue revealed

Nicely done. Harry Kane and Ronaldo are looking on with jealousy.

Shouldn’t this be in the too dull for conversation thread?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Shouldn’t this be in the too dull for conversation thread?

Tend to agree. Don't really think public statues (I know there are few of footballers/managers but they fall into a different class) should be erected to anybody until at least 50 years after their death and they become simply historical figures far removed from everyday experiences or politics.

The statue(s) of Maggie are case in point. Still a divisive figure. 

36 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Tend to agree. Don't really think public statues (I know there are few of footballers/managers but they fall into a different class) should be erected to anybody until at least 50 years after their death and they become simply historical figures far removed from everyday experiences or politics.

The statue(s) of Maggie are case in point. Still a divisive figure. 

Our longest reigning (and incredibly popular) monarch is a slightly different ball game to a football manager or divisive politician though. If you wait until 50 years after somebody’s death before unveiling a statue its lost all meaning by that point 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

Our longest reigning (and incredibly popular) monarch is a slightly different ball game to a football manager or divisive politician though. If you wait until 50 years after somebody’s death before unveiling a statue its lost all meaning by that point 

I think you rather make the case... the statue seems to be for you for the short term!

4 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I think you rather make the case... the statue seems to be for you for the short term!

Not really, once it’s there it becomes a landmark, a reference point to something from our past. However it has to still have meaning when first erected for that to be the case, otherwise it’s simply a hunk of rock 

3 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

Not really, once it’s there it becomes a landmark, a reference point to something from our past. However it has to still have meaning when first erected for that to be the case, otherwise it’s simply a hunk of rock 

Because for many people it doesn't have much meaning - sort of backward looking. I haven't a problem with monarchists wishing to celebrate her life but for me its just 'meh' and does nothing to support the idea of monarchy - indeed will ask more questions of it.  

4 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Because for many people it doesn't have much meaning - sort of backward looking. I haven't a problem with monarchists wishing to celebrate her life but for me its just 'meh' and does nothing to support the idea of monarchy - indeed will ask more questions of it.  

You’re in the minority though, a majority is still in favour of the monarchy so I think a statue dedicated to the late queen is perfectly acceptable 

14 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

You’re in the minority though, a majority is still in favour of the monarchy so I think a statue dedicated to the late queen is perfectly acceptable 

No worries - I just find it sycophantic from a bygone age.

Royal family is a soap opera today.

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yeah, let's get rid of 1000 years of tradition and history so we can get President Boris and Sunak wearing Beige suits.

At least they are elected. Here’s a better option - axe them all and put the homeless in all of their stately homes. The royals are freeloading parasites they we need to be rid of. 

18 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yeah, let's get rid of 1000 years of tradition and history so we can get President Boris and Sunak wearing Beige suits.

But it's not is it?

Most of what you see is Victorian invention! Pomp and ceremony.

By all means have a much smaller less deferential monarchy. 21st century style not 19th.

3 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

It's a great statue; the corgis around the base are a nice touch.

That's quite fair. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fen Canary said:

In the 18-24 age bracket, support at 37 percent… and on that sliding scale until you get to over 80 per cent support in the over 65 age bracket.

Pretty clear that in a couple of decades the majority will be against it.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/863893/support-for-the-monarchy-in-britain-by-age/

25 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

The idea of a president boris or sunak is certainly a more compelling pro-monarchy argument than tradition!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Aggy said:

In the 18-24 age bracket, support at 37 percent… and on that sliding scale until you get to over 80 per cent support in the over 65 age bracket.

Pretty clear that in a couple of decades the majority will be against it.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/863893/support-for-the-monarchy-in-britain-by-age/

The idea of a president boris or sunak is certainly a more compelling pro-monarchy argument than tradition!

Even if your assumption is correct, that young people's attitudes won't change, what does that have to do with now? Prince William's personal popularity is good. How do you know that the kids of those in the 18-24 bracket won't reject the attitudes of their parents and see the monarchy more positively?

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

Nothing wrong with that statue, it's tastefully done.

Posted (edited)

What I'd far rather see in Norwich at least is an imposing statue of a red haired lady in a chariot with blades on the wheels - perhaps on a marble arch!

Yes the Victorian representation of Britannia  - otherwise known as Boddica - about to burn London to the ground 😉

In Norfolk we don't make enough of our local heroes - Boddica and Nelson too.

Edited by Yellow Fever

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Herman said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68882308

Well done all. Fully deserved. 😉

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/apr/24/royals-william-kate-camilla-honours-monarchy-archaic

"The honours in themselves are absurd, and make the mythical Ruritania look like a beacon of modernity"

Couldn't agree more. Hilarious stuff.

Order of the Potty.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Wâš“

Yep that sums the royals up nicely.

Edited by Canary73