BroadstairsR

Australian mass killing.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Everyone could read your original post and then subsequent post about the Barbican and London Bridge and consider the point you were making. There was no subterfuge or veiled language. You also stated "Culprit" with a colon after then "draw your own conclusions".

To now state you didn't is plain dishonesty. Don't bother to  make some further catty remark about getting your dictionary out. Everyone can see and read for themselves.

The world is full of problems without people like you stoking more division and playing on peoples' emotions. 

Then everybody could read that I repeatedly stated from the outset that we will need to know more about the 'culprit' and his motives before actually jumping to conclusions. That my initial reaction was to consider that the incident was religiously motivated because of events in the past is not plain dishonesty.

'Seek and ye shall find.'

I'll ignore your greatly over-stated last sentence for your sake.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Then everybody could read that I repeatedly stated from the outset that we will need to know more about the 'culprit' and his motives before actually jumping to conclusions.

'Seek and ye shall find.'

I'll ignore your greatly over-stated last sentence for your sake.

I'll freely admit that I assumed it was a terrorist attack at the outset. It seemed likely. Apparently it wasn't. Fair dos. Doesn't do anything to negate the long list of similar incidents globally that have been.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I'll freely admit that I assumed it was a terrorist attack at the outset. It seemed likely. Apparently it wasn't. Fair dos. Doesn't do anything to negate the long list of similar incidents globally that have been.

At last some agenda free good sense on the matter is posted. Apparently we are "stoking division though."

Even a selected Twitter response is now involved. I ask you?

Give up, old chap. It's not worth it.

Edited by BroadstairsR

8 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

At last some agenda free good sense on the matter is posted. Apparently we are "stoking division though."

Even a selected Twitter response is now involved. I ask you?

Give up, old chap. It's not worth it.

Agenda free good sense = someone who agrees with you.

It was very obvious what you were saying you daft racist.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, king canary said:

How was it obvious to you that it wasn't a terrorist attack?

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, king canary said:

Oh! So now I'm "a daft racist." 

If only you knew?

Nice to see the insults have started. What's new?

Addition: 

Perhaps being a 'daft racist' is the reason I have been, at the instigation of middle-class ladies who play golf at my club, involved (just twice) in this scheme.

Have you been involved in anything similar?

Have you even seen a boat people landing?

Perhaps you should. You might find it more rewarding than hurling well-worn insults on a football forum.

Edited by BroadstairsR

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Well this thread is a bit of an eye opener isn't it?

The attacker, named Joel Cauchi, from the radical islamic hotspot of Toowoomba Queensland.

The fact some of you saw an olive skinned man who'd commited murder and immediately jumped to debating Muslim crime statistics should maybe give you pause for some self examination.

Or maybe it shows how common Islamic terrorism of this nature is that people automatically assumed this one had the same motive? It’s a sad state of affairs that we’re all surprised it wasn’t an IS type event 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Don't put them on the spot like that. How unfair of you. You'll probably get insults now. It's started with me.

8 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Because there have been enough incidents like this in the world that aren't terrorist attacks.

I'm sure you won't believe me but my honest first thought on seeing the picture was 'looks italian.' There are lots of Italian Australians. Also, he looks, from that blurry photo, to be wearing a dark green Australian cricket top. I'm yet to see terrorists going on the rampage wearing the country in questions sports teams. 

So based on this my first thought was 'mad guy with a knife.'

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Oh! So now I'm "a daft racist." 

If only you knew?

Yes, you're a daft racist. 

If you don't want to be called that don't make daft racist posts. Most seem to manage.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Oh! So now I'm "a daft racist" again. 

If only you knew?

Addition: 

Perhaps being a 'daft racist' is the reason I have been, at the instigation of middle-class ladies who play golf at my club, involved (just twice) in this scheme.

Have you been involved in anything similar?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/24/the-welcome-party-how-a-secret-group-of-kent-residents-is-helping-small-boat-refugees

Perhaps you should. You might find it more rewarding than hurling well-worn insults on a football forum.

Edited by BroadstairsR

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Because there have been enough incidents like this in the world that aren't terrorist attacks.

I'm sure you won't believe me but my honest first thought on seeing the picture was 'looks italian.' There are lots of Italian Australians. Also, he looks, from that blurry photo, to be wearing a dark green Australian cricket top. I'm yet to see terrorists going on the rampage wearing the country in questions sports teams. 

I believe you and very good answer. Genuinely hadn't considered the cricket top.

He was wearing  an Australian rugby league top , which should have given everyone pause for thought.

eng_pl_AUSTRALIA-RUGBY-ARL-CLASSIC-SHIRT-L-20385_1.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Exactly my first thought, as I'd said on the thread that my conclusion was that we were dealing with an absolute tuna melt. Saw an olive-skinned guy with a knife and thought "this could be anyone, Australia's incredibly mixed". And when I think of terrorist attacks in that part of the world, the first one that springs to my mind is the fundamentalist headbanger who ran amok in Christchurch.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Quite agree KC. 

It seems some are more interested in their own agenda than waiting for the facts to emerge (despite the NSW police asking people not to speculate). It's more reminiscent to me of the Adams Mendes case in the UK recently.

It seems some people really can't but help themselves but to jump in both feet and to look foolish.

Condolences to all the victims and be pleased of the gun control laws both here and in Oz. In the states these 'shooter' incidents are regularly so much worse.

Like you and the missile in October that hit the hospital in Gaza that you insisted must have been Israeli in spite of their protests that it wasn't them, where you turned out to be wrong you mean?

6 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Like you and the missile in October that hit the hospital in Gaza that you insisted must have been Israeli in spite of their protests that it wasn't them, where you turned out to be wrong you mean?

No, not the same at all. I can't recall how strongly I thought on the basis of probability it was Israel at the time (all those threads have long been deleted) but clearly the simplest kindest explanation was accidental Israeli fire - they were (and it seems still are) after all shooting and targeting apparently at almost anything.     

Is that the old case where everybody thought it was at first Israel - but then Hamas with the images of a 'falling' Hamas rocket - which later turned out to be of the wrong event - some edited Israeli audio of Hamas acknowledging a misfire - and then the difficult to disprove and at first overlooked doppler sound recorded with the impact (French research I believe) from a known camera position that rather pointed it back to something 'coming in' hard and fast from the Israeli positions going 'over' the camera .....

As I recall it was all left a bit up in the air inconclusive as other events rather overtook things and no proper forensic analysis of the impact site could be done. There was also no imagery of the Hamas misfire. Anyway - the West was happy or convenient -  take your pick - to give then Israel the benefit of the doubt which they have of course long since squandered.

Anyway - I've given far too much time to this than you deserve. If a few grossly ignorant people are smarting from being so foolish to apportion blame with zero or even circumstantial evidence to support some 'political' agenda as opposed to the more prosaic and common local nutter then more fool them.

Oh - list of mass shootings in the US 2024 - is it 3 dead, 30 injured in last 3 days....

I guess they are just not newsworthy. 

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

No, not the same at all. I can't recall how strongly I thought on the basis of probability it was Israel at the time (all those threads have long been deleted) but clearly the simplest kindest explanation was accidental Israeli fire - they were (and it seems still are) after all shooting and targeting apparently at almost anything.     

Is that the old case where everybody thought it was at first Israel - but then Hamas with the images of a 'falling' Hamas rocket - which later turned out to be of the wrong event - some edited Israeli audio of Hamas acknowledging a misfire - and then the difficult to disprove and at first overlooked doppler sound recorded with the impact (French research I believe) from a known camera position that rather pointed it back to something 'coming in' hard and fast from the Israeli positions going 'over' the camera .....

As I recall it was all left a bit up in the air inconclusive as other events rather overtook things and no proper forensic analysis of the impact site could be done. There was also no imagery of the Hamas misfire. Anyway - the West was happy or convenient -  take your pick - to give then Israel the benefit of the doubt which they have of course long since squandered.

Anyway - I've given far too much time to this than you deserve. If a few grossly ignorant people are smarting from being so foolish to apportion blame with zero or even circumstantial evidence to support some 'political' agenda as opposed to the more prosaic and common local nutter then more fool them.

Oh - list of mass shootings in the US 2024 - is it 3 dead, 30 injured in last 3 days....

I guess they are just not newsworthy. 

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting

Fortunately, I remember very well. The consensus was that 'there was no reason to disbelieve Hamas' and you were scraping up every possible scrap to establish it was definitely the Israelis regardless that the IDF insisted it wasn't theirs.

And according to Human Rights Watch, it was in all likelihood a misfired Palestinian rocket, as the Israelis claimed.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2023/11/26/gaza-findings-october-17-al-ahli-hospital-explosion

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Fortunately, I remember very well. The consensus was that 'there was no reason to disbelieve Hamas' and you were scraping up every possible scrap to establish it was definitely the Israelis regardless that the IDF insisted it wasn't theirs.

And according to Human Rights Watch, it was in all likelihood a misfired Palestinian rocket, as the Israelis claimed.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2023/11/26/gaza-findings-october-17-al-ahli-hospital-explosion

The only person who unquestioningly believes everything the Israeli's spout is you. You might just as well be a spin doctor working for them. You have zero credibility left on this subject.

Truth is always the first casualty of any war hence anything from any of the belligerents needs to be taken with a large dose of salt.

However, even the report you have so kindly tagged notes 'balance of probability' and calls for a full investigation required. It's far from conclusive.  It's pretty damming generally on both the Israelis and Hamas. Clearly, whatever really happened there was not a conventional munition and may well have been the Hamas rocket misfire. That's actually about as much as anybody actually knows - the videos are not helpful.

The Doppler effect recording however remains awkward from any scientific perspective to explain other than an incoming object not from 'Gaza'. Perhaps the misfired rocket did a U turn?

Anyway this is nothing to do with Australia and the leaping to conclusions there in the complete absence of evidence.

Just now, Yellow Fever said:

The only person who unquestioningly believes everything the Israeli's spout is you. You might just as well be a spin doctor working for them. You have zero credibility left on this subject.

Truth is always the first casualty of any war hence anything from any of the belligerents needs to be taken with a large dose of salt.

However, even the report you have so kindly tagged notes 'balance of probability' and calls for a full investigation required. It's far from conclusive.  It's pretty damming generally on both the Israelis and Hamas. Clearly, whatever really happened there was not a conventional munition and may well have been the Hamas rocket misfire. That's actually about as much as anybody actually knows - the videos are not helpful.

The Doppler effect recording however remains awkward from any scientific perspective to explain other than an incoming object not from 'Gaza'. Perhaps the misfired rocket did a U turn?

Anyway this is nothing to do with Australia and the leaping to conclusions there in the complete absence of evidence.

Whereas you unquestioningly believe everything Hamas spouts judging by that episode. Hey ho.

5 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Whereas you unquestioningly believe everything Hamas spouts judging by that episode. Hey ho.

Arh yes - I knew we'd get there eventually - anybody who questions the veracity of your/Israels version of events or even just asks them to stack up with basic physics and the evidence must be pro-Hamas by default or some such nonsense. Oddly the world isn't binary. Both sides are lying to you for their own ends.

You just don't have the wit to realize it. 

Good Night.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Arh yes - I knew we'd get there eventually - anybody who questions the veracity of your/Israels version of events or even just asks them to stack up with basic physics and the evidence must be pro-Hamas by default or some such nonsense. Oddly the world isn't binary. Both sides are lying to you for their own ends.

You just don't have the wit to realize it. 

Good Night.

Well no. I remember it well because it followed not long after a lecture from Well B back about what could be believed. Over that event, there were two accounts: The Israeli and the Hamas one. You chose to believe the Hamas one before there was any evidence. That's fact and you doubled down against me suggesting reserving judgement that Israel might be telling the truth. And you were since shown to be most likely wrong. Which is exactly the behaviour you're getting so high and mighty about here.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, king canary said:

And still this daft racist waits for some sort of responses (anything) to the simple questions I put to you regarding on-site assistance for boat people when they come ashore.

Might I remind you?

"Have you been involved in anything similar?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/24/the-welcome-party-how-a-secret-group-of-kent-residents-is-helping-small-boat-refugees

I will add another:

Have you ever contributed in any way towards assisting these people?

No response, and I will take it as a total negative, which suggests that this canary fan who enjoys hurling simplistic insults on an anonymous internet forum might just be a daft hypocrite. 

Edited by BroadstairsR

10 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

And still this daft racist waits for some sort of responses (anything) to the simple questions I put to you regarding on-site assistance for boat people when they come ashore.

Might I remind you?

"Have you been involved in anything similar?

I will add another:

Have you ever contributed in any way towards assisting these people?

No response, and I will take it as a total negative, which suggests that this canary fan who enjoys hurling simplistic insults on an anonymous internet forum might just be a daft hypocrite. 

Apologies for not living on the forum and waiting on your beck and call your highness.

The charity work you do sounds very noble, well done for doing it. It doesn't though act as a trump card you can play if accused of predjudice.

'Daft racist' was probably a bit strong on my part, I'll admit. However my initial post suggests those who leapt to the conclusion you clearly had leapt to should probably pause for thought and I stand by that. 

2 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Seems like some jumped the gun 24 hours too soon

Oh, has ethnicity and motivation of the first attacker magically changed?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Oh, has ethnicity and motivation of the first attacker magically changed?

That was yesterday's news, brother.  We move on. 

54 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

That was yesterday's news, brother.  We move on. 

Glad to see you're saying the quiet part out loud- basically 'I don't care if I can't blame a muslim.'

• Like 2

4 hours ago, king canary said:

Apologies for not living on the forum and waiting on your beck and call your highness.

The charity work you do sounds very noble, well done for doing it. It doesn't though act as a trump card you can play if accused of predjudice.

'Daft racist' was probably a bit strong on my part, I'll admit. However my initial post suggests those who leapt to the conclusion you clearly had leapt to should probably pause for thought and I stand by that. 

People can think what they like - it's then promulgating such a view it in the absence of any supporting data that is troubling. Most of us wait and see and modify our initial views accordingly.