Sign in to follow this  
Nick Freeman

Tony Powell Documentary

Hey everyone,

A film crew is making a documentary about Tony Powell, a Norwich defender from the 1970s who has been living in America since retirement. They are bringing Tony back to Norwich for the first time in 40 years for a reunion with his family and friends.

The film crew are coming out to Norwich with Tony the week leading up to the April 20th match against Bristol City, and are looking to speak with supporters who remember this time. They'd love to get a group of fans together to relive some fond memories of the John Bond era and potentially meet up with Tony Powell. 

They have the full support of the club who are helping them with arrangements. If you are interested in participating, send an email out to:

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Nick Freeman said:
Hey everyone,

A film crew is making a documentary about Tony Powell, a Norwich defender from the 1970s who has been living in America since retirement. They are bringing Tony back to Norwich for the first time in 40 years for a reunion with his family and friends.

The film crew are coming out to Norwich with Tony the week leading up to the April 20th match against Bristol City, and are looking to speak with supporters who remember this time. They'd love to get a group of fans together to relive some fond memories of the John Bond era and potentially meet up with Tony Powell. 

They have the full support of the club who are helping them with arrangements. If you are interested in participating, send an email out to:

That should be fun as allegedly he has led an ‘ interesting’ life in the States.

1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

That should be fun as allegedly he has led an ‘ interesting’ life in the States.

Which of course is why they're making the 'documentary' about him. 

13 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

Tony Powell - has hair was like Farrar Fawcett's wasn't it ?

No that was Todd Cantwell.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

No that was Todd Cantwell.

If Powell had lipstick on even Lee Majors would has been confused !

18 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

Tony Powell - has hair was like Farrar Fawcett's wasn't it ?

Real men loved having a perm in the 70s.

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Real men loved having a perm in the 70s.

Yes you're right. I remember the likes of Suggest, Reeves & Neighbour appearing with curly hear as well - but didn't look natural. 

2 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

Yes you're right. I remember the likes of Suggest, Reeves & Neighbour appearing with curly hear as well - but didn't look natural. 

Kevin Keegan’s was cool. 

I remember him well, part of my early years supporting City, stalwart of the team, and reliable; but for me part of a Norwich tradition of playing relatively unconvincing central defenders in the top kier if I’m honest. Happy to revisit his contribution. 

Anyone interested in participating in the documentary? Or any ideas on what might be interesting to capture in Norwich while the production team is in town next week? Eccentric fans, interesting memorabilia, etc. Anyone with memories of Tony Powell would be great

10 hours ago, Six Pack said:

Predictive text

Suggest it was Suggett

1 hour ago, Nick Freeman said:

Anyone interested in participating in the documentary? Or any ideas on what might be interesting to capture in Norwich while the production team is in town next week? Eccentric fans, interesting memorabilia, etc. Anyone with memories of Tony Powell would be great

Tbh, Tony Powell wasn't one of the more charismatic members of the squad. from memory he got on with his job in a quiet and competent manner. You could try getting in touch with his team mates as there were a fair few characters in that squad.

8 hours ago, daly said:

Predictive text

Suggest it was Suggett

Yes I meant Suggett. 

I must say - that was a pretty good team in the mid 70s. Our 2nd stint in the old first division. Stayed there many seasons, beat top team in those days  Liverpool most seasons and also set the record for the most draws in the top flight - 23 draws - think it's still a record. Tony Powell was part of the that team which included the likes of Keelan, Sullivan, Suggett, Paddon, Martin Peters, Boyer, Macdougall, Forbes, Stringer, Neighbour, David Jones, Reeves, Viv Busby, John Ryan, McGuire and many others not all mentioned.

They should contact Dave Stringer to setup a documentary about the team of that era.  

14 hours ago, Corbs1 said:

I remember him well, part of my early years supporting City, stalwart of the team, and reliable; but for me part of a Norwich tradition of playing relatively unconvincing central defenders in the top kier if I’m honest. Happy to revisit his contribution. 

Let me know if you'd be interested in participating in the documentary! Feel free to reach me at nick@brickhead.co

12 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

Yes I meant Suggett. 

I must say - that was a pretty good team in the mid 70s. Our 2nd stint in the old first division. Stayed there many seasons, beat top team in those days  Liverpool most seasons and also set the record for the most draws in the top flight - 23 draws - think it's still a record. Tony Powell was part of the that team which included the likes of Keelan, Sullivan, Suggett, Paddon, Martin Peters, Boyer, Macdougall, Forbes, Stringer, Neighbour, David Jones, Reeves, Viv Busby, John Ryan, McGuire and many others not all mentioned.

They should contact Dave Stringer to setup a documentary about the team of that era.  

If you're local to Norwich, we'd love to have you participate in this documentary. Shoot me an email at nick@brickhead.co and would be happy to set up a call

8 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Tbh, Tony Powell wasn't one of the more charismatic members of the squad. from memory he got on with his job in a quiet and competent manner. You could try getting in touch with his team mates as there were a fair few characters in that squad.

We've included Mick McGuire, John Ryan and Kevin Bond in the documentary as well. Would love to hear from some fans such as yourself to help paint the picture of this team! Please email me at nick@brickhead.co if you're interested in participating or know anyone who might be.