18 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

What is it with footballers and gambling? We even have one of our players being banned from horse betting.

Too much money, too much free time.

I do find it distasteful that instead of helping them, especially working in an industry rife with association and advertisements for gambling they just ban them.

• Like 2

So easy nowadays to get addicted sadly. Back in the day you had to physically go into a ladbrokes. Now there are thousands of bookies at your fingertips all offering free bets when you sign up. Talk sport have more gambling adverts than ever. I'd imagine the true level of the amount of addicts is kept well and truly brushed under the carpet. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

We even have one of our players being banned from horse betting.

He can bet, he's just banned from attending race meetings I thought?

As for why, betting is intwined across sport and the more expendable cash you have the more likely you'll have a flutter perhaps?  Few of my mates who rarely go out anymore just sit at home all night playing poker, and their other half is on the bingo, and kids are left to do as they please - just glad I've never been sucked in by it as it's a horrible addiction.

• Like 1

People have been betting and wagering for centuries. It's in our blood.

Betting on a potentially fixed outcome is a bit more serious though.

• Like 1

He clearly needs help and frankly can afford to get the best around.   It's clearly in newcastles interest to encourage him to and to give him the time needed to  the get support he needs

6 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

What is it with footballers and gambling? We even have one of our players being banned from horse betting.

eh ?

who ?

14 minutes ago, RobJames said:

eh ?

who ?

Ashley Barnes has been warned off all British racecourses for refusing to cooperate with an enquiry into an allegedly fixed race. I don't know why I bother to say allegedly because even I could clearly see a horse being deliberately held back. Quite how Barnes is alleged to be involved is uncertain. 

15 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Too much money, too much free time.

I do find it distasteful that instead of helping them, especially working in an industry rife with association and advertisements for gambling they just ban them.

I agree, better to help them, although sadly there does need to be an element of punishment to show people who don’t breathe rules that they aren’t being treated unfair.  A reduced punishment with 75% suspended on the basis that they go into a treatment programme would surely help.

35 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

I agree, better to help them, although sadly there does need to be an element of punishment to show people who don’t breathe rules that they aren’t being treated unfair.  A reduced punishment with 75% suspended on the basis that they go into a treatment programme would surely help.

That's an excellent suggestion. I'd even go as far as to say a short ban with the threat of a permanent ban. 

Obviously players shouldn't be allowed to bet on games involving their own team but It is somewhat two faced to take so much money from betting companies then bans players for betting. 

Advertising is the big issue and hopefully the next Government will do something about it. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yeah not quite right matey but still a bit fishy