Sign in to follow this  
GodlyOtsemobor

Baltimore bridge.

2 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

How!? Surely there's big questions got to be asked of whoever was in charge of that boat? 

I heard an engineer say that when this bridge was built cargo ships were smaller and the design reflected that. He said more modern bridges are design to have buffers on the supports to protect them.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/mar/26/baltimore-key-bridge-collapse-visual-guide

The ship’s crew reported losing power and issued a mayday call moments before the crash took down the bridge, enabling authorities to limit vehicle traffic on the span,

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Seems it was Indians.

I think you have to call them Native Americans these days. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Seems it was Indians.

I presume you mean that the Singapore-registered ship had an Indian crew.  Not sure that has a lot to do with anything, particularly as it was a local pilot who was navigating the vessel down the river.

Edited by Naturalcynic

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Seems it was Indians.

This is Webberesque.

The vessel was dead: there were no electronics and - crucially - no engine power. They were adrift but powerless to stop what was happening.

Multiple alarms rang out as the crew ran unsuccessful tests in a desperate attempt to fix the issue and regain power.

A local pilot onboard the vessel frantically gave orders, telling the crew to steer the rudder hard to port and drop anchor to keep it from drifting starboard.

While an emergency generator is believed to have kicked in, the ship never regained the use of its engines.

The pilots were left with no choice. Shortly before 01:30 (05:30 GMT), they issued a mayday call warning authorities that a collision was imminent.

Edited by A Load of Squit

12 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Absolute whomper-stomper of a comment from a politician saying diversity training was part of the problem. I mean, I'd have thought the reason the bridge came down was because a big soddin' boat hit it.

DEI to blame for Baltimore bridge collapse, Utah Rep. Phil Lyman claims - Axios Salt Lake City

Indoctrination with and implementation of DE&I in the workplace may be a requirement both here and in the US, but I agree it’s rather difficult to see how that caused a ship to lose power and hit a bridge.

5 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Indoctrination with and implementation of DE&I in the workplace may be a requirement both here and in the US, but I agree it’s rather difficult to see how that caused a ship to lose power and hit a bridge.

I'd like to get the phone number of that politician's osteopath. My back could use a stretch like that.

2 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Absolute whomper-stomper of a comment from a politician saying diversity training was part of the problem. I mean, I'd have thought the reason the bridge came down was because a big soddin' boat hit it.

DEI to blame for Baltimore bridge collapse, Utah Rep. Phil Lyman claims - Axios Salt Lake City

I think the answer is in the story

A local pilot onboard the vessel frantically gave orders, telling the crew to steer the rudder hard to port and drop anchor to keep it from drifting starboard.

If they are using pilots to drive boats instead of planes they could get easily confused. There is no big steering wheel on a plane for starters

6 hours ago, If wed kept Howie.. said:

ANY bridge is coming down after getting a main support hit by 100,000t at 8 knots

Not a well built British bridge. Only foreign ones. 😉

• Haha 1