cambridgeshire canary

Paintings of the countryside.. Racist?

Aaah Telegraph, with this culture war **** stirring you really spoil us. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Herman said:

In fairness there wouldn’t be anything to report of the museum hadn’t said this rubbish in the first place. The left can’t really complain about the right reporting on idiotic things they themselves have said 

6 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

In fairness there wouldn’t be anything to report of the museum hadn’t said this rubbish in the first place. The left can’t really complain about the right reporting on idiotic things they themselves have said 

If the right wing ever visited cultural sites they would realise that they all tend to write a load of old waffle-bollox. It's what they do.😄

11 minutes ago, Herman said:

If the right wing ever visited cultural sites they would realise that they all tend to write a load of old waffle-bollox. It's what they do.😄

Such depth.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I saw a painting of a pig farm the other day and started screaming Rule Britania at the top of my lungs.. No idea what came over me!

when I was last in Kent, a light breeze went through a tree and the wind going through the leaves sounded a bit like 'sieg heil' being whispered by lots of people simultaneously.

Racist tree. Should be chopped down.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

when I was last in Kent, a light breeze went through a tree and the wind going through the leaves sounded a bit like 'sieg heil' being whispered by lots of people simultaneously.

Racist tree. Should be chopped down.

Such fantasy. Maybe you were drunk at the time. There are lots of pubs in Kent, but perhaps not as many as there are trees, but both coming in a wide variety of type.

Footnote: May I remind you that it was the airfields of Kent that stood firm against the Nazi onslaught in this country's time of need, and of the people of Kent who welcomed and accommodated the brave airmen from our homeland and further afield?

OR inform you of Kent Kindness supported by many ladies at my golf club (who have enrolled many of us men, including me, to render aid?)

https://kentkindness.org.uk/

You don't know what you're talking about in your anxiousness to pluck labels from shelves, or is it trees?

Edited by BroadstairsR

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

Has anyone read the whole article? Has anyone considered that this national clickbait by the Telegraph has been turned into Pink-Un clickbait by the OP?

Also, where in the article does it say the Fitzwilliam is "left"? Or, are they renowned for it? We know the Telegraph is right wing, but I've not, until now heard of the Fitzwilliam Museum, let alone know what their political leaning is. And, the opinion garnered in the article is highly likely to be just one person's. 

There really isn't a story of any substance here at all, just another small ingredient to add to the (foul tasting) cake of division.

Edited by Daz Sparks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Such fantasy. Maybe you were drunk at the time. There are lots of pubs in Kent, but perhaps not as many as there are trees, but both coming in a wide variety of type.

Nope. In fact, I’ve done some research on YouTube and all trees do it. Here’s another bunch of them. You can clearly hear the sort of s sounds in there. Surreptitious idolatry of hitler I tell you.

The Fitz is right. Nature is fascist.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Nope. In fact, I’ve done some research on YouTube and all trees do it. Here’s another bunch of them. You can clearly hear the sort of s sounds in there.

The Fitz is right. Nature is fascist.

How silly.

Have you read the footnote to the reply I gave?

Grow up!

Do some more research as well.

Edited by BroadstairsR

14 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

Has anyone read the whole article? Has anyone considered that this national clickbait by the Telegraph has been turned into Pink-Un clickbait by the OP?

Also, where in the article does it say the Fitzwilliam is "left"? Or, are they renowned for it? We know the Telegraph is right, but I've not, until now heard of the Fitzwilliam Museum, let alone know what their political leaning is. And, the opinion garnered in the article is highly likely to be just one person's. 

There really isn't a story of any substance here at all, just another small ingredient to add to the (foul tasting) cake of division.

I did read it thank you, this line from the museum stood out to me 

“Paintings showing rolling English hills or lush French fields reinforced loyalty and pride towards a homeland.”

“The darker side of evoking this nationalist feeling is the implication that only those with a historical tie to the land have a right to belong“

Implying that taking a bit of pride in your homeland means you automatically have a dislike and intolerance of foreigners seems to be the kind of thing stoking division rather than a paper doing a report on it 

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

How silly.

Have you read my footnote to the reply I gave.

Grow up!

Do some more research.

Oh dear. Someone got out of bed on the wrong side this morning!

Assuming you got out of bed.

1 minute ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Oh dear. Someone got out of bed on the wrong side this morning!

Assuming you got out of bed.

Just go away. You're clearly just an ignorant irritant who spouts nonsense. 

Just now, BroadstairsR said:

Just go away. You're clearly just an ignorant irritant who spouts nonsense. 

Oh wow. You’re so touchy about this! I’m thinking you must write the art commentaries at the Fitz!

Oh wow. You’re so touchy about this! I’m thinking you must write the art commentaries at the Fitz!

Just reacting to crass stupidity, nothing to do with touchiness, I assure you.

2 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

I did read it thank you, this line from the museum stood out to me 

No, thank you.

3 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

Implying that taking a bit of pride in your homeland means you automatically have a dislike and intolerance of foreigners seems to be the kind of thing stoking division rather than a paper doing a report on it 

Respectfully, I disagree. I refer to my earlier point, this story centres around one museum and quite possibly one person's opinion, the Telegraph is a national publication, and has published this in a vein that is intended to provoke the exact debate we are having.

I still see it as an insignificant non-story. Historical paintings are just that, a part of history, and personally, such paintings evoke next no to feelings of anything in me, positive or negative. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Just reacting to crass stupidity, nothing to do with touchiness, I assure you.

A bit of light-hearted and obvious parody of a daft story fully intended to be frivolous as you doubtless are aware.

The story is accurate and the Fitz art commentary does suggest these things, even going as far as to say it makes the countryside less accessible for minorities. Why does the story about the Fitz being ridiculed upset you? Do you agree with the notion?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daz Sparks said:

No, thank you.

Respectfully, I disagree. I refer to my earlier point, this story centres around one museum and quite possibly one person's opinion, the Telegraph is a national publication, and has published this in a vein that is intended to provoke the exact debate we are having.

I still see it as an insignificant non-story. Historical paintings are just that, a part of history, and personally, such paintings evoke next no to feelings of anything in me, positive or negative. 

The Fitzwilliam is a one of the biggest museums round my way, to me them telling visitors that taking pride in the natural landscape of your country is akin to hating foreigners is a big story and one worthy of debate. To me it’s a nonsense opinion based on nothing, and it’s wrong for a major institution such as museum to print it as fact.

Why is it anytime a story if this nature comes out that makes what passes for the modem left look ridiculous, it’s suddenly deemed to be not worthy of debate. Rather than defend their position they simply seek to shut the conversation down? 

A bit of light-hearted and obvious parody of a daft story fully intended to be frivolous as you doubtless are aware.

The story is accurate and the Fitz art commentary does suggest these things, even going as far as to say it makes the countryside less accessible for minorities. Why does the story about the Fitz being ridiculed upset you? 

No, nothing to do with Fritz or whatever it stands for, just your less than frivolous and even less funny comments about Kent that "upset" me. If that's how you wish to label my reaction?

Got it?

Like I said, irritant. Isn't there a spray or something that can get rid of you?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

No, nothing to do with Fritz or whatever it stands for, just your less than frivolous and even less funny comments about Kent that "upset" me. If that's how you wish to label my reaction?

Got it?

Like I said, irritant. Isn't there a spray or something that can get rid of you?

I apologise to trees in Kent for my disgraceful slander of your inclusive values. I know that none of you are racist or secretly support Hitler.

is that better?

4 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I apologise to trees in Kent for my disgraceful slander of your inclusive values. I know that none of you are racist.

is that better?

Fail.

I luvs to walk down our winding narrow country lanes and hear the birds chirping and singing, the wind whistling through the branches of the trees....and smiling as I pass a gated entrance to a field that has an old fridge freezer, smashed plasma TV, some large bits of old kitchen cupboards sink and worktops, cracked ceramic tiles and a large healthy pile of blue asbestos ceremoniously and cleverly deposited to deter undesirables accessing private land ...Fly tipping is certainly a British institution....Then to see afar in yonder field to witness someone's 'he's only havin' a bit o' fun' crazed and rampant bloodied jawed family dog harrying sheep and ripping into their lambs.....This green and pleasant land....We are so very blessed and fortunate....Who wants to live in a concrete jungle of a City...eh?....

10 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

I luvs to walk down our winding narrow country lanes and hear the birds chirping and singing, the wind whistling through the branches of the trees....and smiling as I pass a gated entrance to a field that has an old fridge freezer, smashed plasma TV, some large bits of old kitchen cupboards sink and worktops, cracked ceramic tiles and a large healthy pile of blue asbestos ceremoniously and cleverly deposited to deter undesirables accessing private land ...Fly tipping is certainly a British institution....Then to see afar in yonder field to witness someone's 'he's only havin' a bit o' fun' crazed and rampant bloodied jawed family dog harrying sheep and ripping into their lambs.....This green and pleasant land....We are so very blessed and fortunate....Who wants to live in a concrete jungle of a City...eh?....

Gypsy site round your way I’m guessing? 

21 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Fail.

Oh come on.  I know the truth sometimes hurts, but don’t shoot the messenger.  And not all trees set out with the deliberate intention of inciting far-right hatred.  After all, when walking close to a weeping willow recently its newly formed leaves rustling in the breeze were definitely hissing “Tory scum”, or at least that’s how it sounded to me.  Incidentally, is Angela Rayner related to a weeping willow?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

The Fitzwilliam is a one of the biggest museums round my way, to me them telling visitors that taking pride in the natural landscape of your country is akin to hating foreigners is a big story and one worthy of debate. To me it’s a nonsense opinion based on nothing, and it’s wrong for a major institution such as museum to print it as fact.

Why is it anytime a story if this nature comes out that makes what passes for the modem left look ridiculous, it’s suddenly deemed to be not worthy of debate. Rather than defend their position they simply seek to shut the conversation down? 

In reality, I don't think we are that far apart on this subject. The concept that landscape painting from 200 years ago can evoke deep feelings among most people is ridiculous, the concept that it's a view representative of anyone other than the authors is going in a similar direction.

I'm quite obviously not trying to shut down debate, as we appear to be having one now. The point that seems more contentious seems to be the Telegraph's motives for publishing. Which I'm happy stick with my assertion it's motivated by the politics of division, and I am also happy to engage in civilised conversation with you about.

10 hours ago, Herman said:

I think the source of this story is the Fitzwilliam Museum.  The Telegraph on whom you have fixed your sights are merely the messenger

3 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

I think the source of this story is the Fitzwilliam Museum.  The Telegraph on whom you have fixed your sights are merely the messenger

1 hour ago, Daz Sparks said:

Also, where in the article does it say the Fitzwilliam is "left"? Or, are they renowned for it? We know the Telegraph is right wing, but I've not, until now heard of the Fitzwilliam Museum, let alone know what their political leaning is. And, the opinion garnered in the article is highly likely to be just one person's. 

I think Daz explains it perfectly. 

6 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

In reality, I don't think we are that far apart on this subject. The concept that landscape painting from 200 years ago can evoke deep feelings among most people is ridiculous, the concept that it's a view representative of anyone other than the authors is going in a similar direction.

I'm quite obviously not trying to shut down debate, as we appear to be having one now. The point that seems more contentious seems to be the Telegraph's motives for publishing. Which I'm happy stick with my assertion it's motivated by the politics of division, and I am also happy to engage in civilised conversation with you about.

Ultimately they know that people will become annoyed at the museum posting this nonsense, it will help them attract eyeballs and thus more advertising money. They’re simply printing things that are of interest to their readership. It’s no different to the Guardian banging on about Brexit or what a racist hellhole Britain is every other day, just two sides of the same depressing coin 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daz Sparks said:

No, thank you.

Pretty much agree with you Daz, but what on earth triggered the museum to make these nutty comments in the first place ?