One of those players who never fulfilled their potential, or reached their peak and it was lower than expected.

I think I'd put Raheem Sterling in that category too. I'm not sure what Grealish brings to a team either - he's quite good at falling over.

11 hours ago, Six Pack said:

Should have got him in !

Can afford him - as one of our Dads Army recruits

I've changed my opinion a bit on Jesse Lingaard.

He was demonised in the media as being greedy and there were claims he'd priced himself out of various moves, with no strong evidence that this was true, for example David Moyes or Steven Gerrard never said publicly that his wage demands were too high.

He could clearly have got more than ÂŁ17500 a week, Luton would probably have given him more than that for this season, but he's gone to South Korea because its the eSports capital of the world and he's massively into eSports and has his own eSports team.

So it sounds very much to me like he just needed a move to excite him, admittedly because he's already stinking rich, but it runs contrary to the media portrayal of somebody who was asking for six figure salaries, that's been completely ****-****'d now, the tabloids just need to create pariahs. 

8 hours ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

One of those players who never fulfilled their potential, or reached their peak and it was lower than expected.

I think I'd put Raheem Sterling in that category too. I'm not sure what Grealish brings to a team either - he's quite good at falling over.

Bit harsh on Sterling, isn't it? The Chelsea move hasn't really worked out, but he was a top player at his peak. 

• Like 1

Is

5 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Bit harsh on Sterling, isn't it? The Chelsea move hasn't really worked out, but he was a top player at his peak. 

Agreed, and I think he has been good for Southgate and England as well. Has he now been permanently excluded from the international scene? Probably correct now, but I thought his initial exclusion was premature.

Now there is a player I wouldn't mind seeing in the yellow and green, but at 29 he still has a few lucrative years in him, and he is another one who has repeatedly chased the dosh (Brendan Rodgers mentioned his excessive demands to stay at Liverpool) and that would be as unlikely as Michael Wynn-Jones jogging around the Carrow Road pitch is his yellow and green polka dot thong when City achieve promotion again this season, in any case. 

Lingard? Not at all!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

Poor old Sterling, never did forfill his potential after all he's only played for Liverpool and Man City at the very height of English football for an entire decade, only played more than 80 times for England, won footballer of the year, won the premier league four times, won the league cup five times and won the FA cup.. He's done nothing with his career!

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Poor old Sterling, never did forfill his potential after all he's only played for Liverpool and Man City at the very height of English football for an entire decade, only played more than 80 times for England, won footballer of the year, won the premier league four times, won the league cup five times and won the FA cup.. He's done nothing with his career!

Agreed was also Englands best player at the Euro.

It’s also interesting that Man Utd have issues selling players. There are rumours that the wages Utd paid at huge even by Premier league standards. Lingard was there for 10 years it’s likely the guy is worth 10s of millions of pounds having that sort of cash will do things to do I would imagine.

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Ah, but what have the Romans ever done for us?

Sterling has been very successful, and been in very successful teams, but for me he has always been a bit disappointing. All too often he seems to dribble his way into a good position, only for his cross to hit the first defender and be wasted.

Now I am not equating Huckerby with Sterling. but whenever Hucks got the ball I was excited to see what would happen, whereas when Sterling gets the ball I think "Oh well, that's that attack wasted."

There was a time when Jesse Lingard looked like he was going to be a great player, but he seemed to lack the hunger. Maybe that's what having so much money when you are young does to you - it sates you.