Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Coventry

It was with much relief that the mid season transfer window closed without very much wailing and gnashing of teeth from those of a yellow persuasion. It at least gives us a chance to salvage something from a season that just a few weeks ago appeared to be heading for the dustbin. The improved weather lifted the spirits and there were enough patches of blue in the sky this morning to mend a pair of sailors trousers, although it did cloud up a bit as kick off time approached.

Unlike so many games this season that started in a cagey manner, this one was quite lively from early doors. Collins in the Coventry net was soon called into action when Fassnacht sent a cross into the box and the visitors had to step up to bundle the ball away. Then Sargent had a shot blocked before the visitors sprung away down to our end but nobody could get on the end of a low cross.

The teams looked evenly matched with some nice quick passing from both sides and it looked like City might go in front when Kenny found Sargent in space but he couldn't get enough on it to trouble Collins. The City striker was looking a real handful but it was a bit worrying when he took a knock and went quiet for a while. Thankfully he appeared to shake it off after a few minutes. You couldn't complain about the quality as City strung together some sweeping moves but unfortunately they couldn't quite knit it together in the final third and the pace of the game dropped for a while as O'hare and the dangerous Sakamoto began to pull some strings.

Sara found an opening on the half hour after Nunez had nicked the ball but his shot was easily saved by the well placed Coventry keeper. City were having the bulk of possession but the visitors looked dangerous on the break and Gunn had to beat way a shot from his near post as Coventry exerted pressure down their left side. Most of the visitors opportunities came from the home side giving the ball away, an old failing I know but very frustrating that we can't eliminate this from our game.

At the half I thought it was fairly encouraging but we needed to keep a lid on O'hare in the second half but oh deary me, did that thought come back to haunt me. Coventry set off with some purpose and before City had settled they hustled into a one nil lead. Stacey's throw made it difficult for Kenny and that man O'hare seemed to squirm between defenders in the box before finishing low into the far corner. It seemed to flatten us for a few minutes and it might have got worse as City looked ragged and defensive dithering allowed Wright to find space ten yards out. Somehow Gunn got a foot on it to deflect the goalbound shot away.

Wagner stirred things up just before the hour mark with Barnes and Hernandez coming on for Nunez and Fassnacht and it paid dividends almost immediately. Barnes combined with Sara on the left and when the cross came in he hit it sweetly enough but it deflected up off a defender and fell nicely for Sargent to smash the ball past Collins to level things up. The crowd now got into it again as City put together some decent moves and Sainz began to become more involved. Stacey might have done better than blaze a cross into the crowd when well placed but it was City exerting the pressure now.

With twenty minutes left a superb ball from Kennt appeared to put Sargent through on goal but a Scything tackle from behind brought him down just outside the area. Kitching couldn't have been surprised when Ref, Gavin Ward produced a straight red to the delight of the crowd. Sara's free kick looked on target but was a few inches too high and clipped the bar with the keeper beaten.

To their credit the visitors didn't sit back and when Palmer came on he spurred Coventry forward and was only denied a goal by a fine diving save from Gunn. The home side came back again and Hernandez seemed anxious to get his name on the score sheet but was wasteful when well set. It felt like a goal would come however and with six minutes left it was Barnes who combined with McCallum, who had just replaced Gianoullis, Sainz flicked the ball on to Barnes who trapped it on the edge of the Coventry box before laying it perfectly for Sainz to whip a shot round Collins into the far corner of the net. The boy is definetly a special talent.

The home side saw it through comfortably enough and it was good to hear the crowd singing again. Have we finally started to knit things together again? only time will tell but its nice to have something to cling on to as the second half of the season winds down. With players back to fitness perhaps we still have something to fight for.

Lots of decent performances today but Sarge my MOM. He always looks like theres a goal in him.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 15

I give Saint MoM as he was a real live wire, and was continuously 'getting stuck in'. Nunez was a bit lack lustre, but Gunn....awesome, again.

Nevermind Rowe, there will be plenty knocking on the door for Angus after the Euro cup thing.

Yep all to play for. Down to Loftus Road next W/E and a chance to shove it up their 'Rs'

12 minutes ago, Myra Hawtree said:

Sainz also my MOM.  Continually chasing and so calm on the ball with another great goal.

Yes, it wasn't an easy choice. 

• Like 1

Several good performances yesterday, Sainz for his goal and being a constant threat, McLean for his consistency in driving the team forward, Gunn for making crucial saves, Sargent for scoring and lasting 90 minutes and finally Barnes for reminding us why he was bought. On the flip side Fassnacht was anonymous and offers very little, Giannoulis should never start ahead of McCallum and Sara is currently a shadow of the player we know he is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DraytonBoy said:

Several good performances yesterday, Sainz for his goal and being a constant threat, McLean for his consistency in driving the team forward, Gunn for making crucial saves, Sargent for scoring and lasting 90 minutes and finally Barnes for reminding us why he was bought. On the flip side Fassnacht was anonymous and offers very little, Giannoulis should never start ahead of McCallum and Sara is currently a shadow of the player we know he is.

I can agree with you about Fassnacht and Giannoulis, but whilst we have seen Sara better than yesterday, he was still a meaningful presence and only just missed the free kick.

• Like 1

Great and accurate summary as usual! Stand out players Sainz, the Sarg, Gunn (saved us 2 if not 3 points) and the CBs. We seriously need to address the inconsistency of Stacey, he can be great in one moment and awful the next. Maybe Fisher is still to light weight and raw - so think we need to strengthen the RB position in the summer and Stacey needs some concentration training.

Great report as always Ricardo. I agree with Sargent MoM. Rowe, Sainz and Sara are all talents but there’s something talismanic about Sargent. I genuinely fear the day he moves on more than any other current player.

17 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

Agree there were some great individual performances yesterday from the guys you’ve picked out. Barnes literally changed the game.

I disagree on Fassnacht personally. In that first half he was getting in some really good positions, playing more freely he was coming central to link play and at one point popped up on the other side with Sainz. He faded in the second half though. He’s an enigma, there’s a talented and experienced pro there, but he’s definitely not a winger and we aren’t getting the most out of him.

I agree 101% that "Giannoulis should never start ahead of McCallum"

Delia will sell Rowe, Sargent, Sainz and Sara.

We are not a football club. Only here to sell.