Sign in to follow this  
Ulfotto

Tzolis

Looks like he still likes taking pens.

Scored the winning penalty last night in the German cup. A paneka as well.

Given the club total lack of ideas at the moment and wouldn’t be surprised if Knapper is seeing if we can get him back.

13 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

Given the club total lack of ideas at the moment and wouldn’t be surprised if Knapper is seeing if we can get him back.

Have you been under a rock for the last 48 hours 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

Wouldn't have thought so. He's on a season long loan with option to buy isn't he?

He seems to be enjoying life in Germany and has pretty much said he doesn't like being in England. Can't see him coming back.

He simply didn't like it here, didn't settle.

It will never work out for him here, best we can hope for is that his impressive form in Bundlesliga II might mean that a Bundesliga I side might be tempted to part with a few million for his services, which is an improvement on where we were in the summer when it didn't feel like we could pay somebody to take him away.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Wouldn't have thought so. He's on a season long loan with option to buy isn't he?

I have no idea at all what football finances are like in Germany, but wonder if they'd need to seal promotion in order to have the budget to make that happen? I can't imagine the gulf in finances between the tiers is anywhere near as wide as it is in our country, but you would expect it would still be significant if getting a slice of the top tier TV rights and filling the stadium when they play the big clubs.

They have to finish top 2 for automatic, but if they finish 3rd they play the team in 16th, if the team in 3rd win the game they get promoted, if the team in 16th win the game they get relegated.

4 points off 2nd and 4 points off 3rd so in with a shout of both.

1 hour ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

No evidence for this, more likely he didn't fit the Smith and Wagner profiles of what they wanted. Good player in there given a chance.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigFish said:

No evidence for this, more likely he didn't fit the Smith and Wagner profiles of what they wanted. Good player in there given a chance.

"The Bundesliga is my big goal, I want to go there 100%"

"Unfortunately in England I didn't have that good feeling"

Seems to be evidence enough to me that he wants to stay in Germany and didn't enjoy it in England?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

That's nothing to do with us as a club, or playing in this country, it's to do with how he was treated.

He was so badly managed it's embarrassing, and on top of that so many fans seemed to dislike him too, i can't believe the level of dislike from some.

He could be one of our better assets today if we didn't balls it up.  How Springett and PP were here ahead of him i'll never know.  But i was saying all this last season and throughout this pre-season, not even worth discuss now as damage is done.

But reading comments that he never liked it here are just so mis-informed, and a weak excuse ignoring our mismanagement of the lad.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

That's nothing to do with us as a club, or playing in this country, it's to do with how he was treated.

He was so badly managed it's embarrassing, and on top of that so many fans seemed to dislike him too, i can't believe the level of dislike from some.

He could be one of our better assets today if we didn't balls it up.  How Springett and PP were here ahead of him i'll never know.  But i was saying all this last season and throughout this pre-season, not even worth discuss now as damage is done.

But reading comments that he never liked it here are just so mis-informed, and a weak excuse ignoring our mismanagement of the lad.

Perhaps.

I don't doubt he has talent, he can certainly finish at the least.

But he lacks the pace needed for a lot of tactical systems, particularly dynamic counting attacking football which is probably the type that we'd need to adopt to have any chance of staying up in the top tier should we ever get there again.

I don't doubt that he could do well at this level in the right team, I just don't see how he fits into any system that has been employed by any of our last 3 managers, including Farke. It always felt like an odd signing. 

2 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

But he lacks the pace needed for a lot of tactical systems, particularly dynamic counting attacking football which is probably the type that we'd need to adopt to have any chance of staying up in the top tier should we ever get there again.

Agree, when we signed him and Farke talked about his speed I could never see it.  But perhaps he's deceiving, it's like Pukki isn't a quick player yet when you see him again in highlights he's running ahead of players like PP and Onel.

And someone like Hanley looks a bit of a plodder, then you find out he's one of the quickest in training.

It's hard to call, I think his size makes him a real obstacle on the ball and i've always loved those larger, lower center of gravity players - like Rooney, Maradonna etc.  And that's where I can see him being a real big threat in the coming years, and why i'm so gutted we didn't put belief into the lad and build around him.   He has great vision, ball control and just one of those players who seem natural with the weight of the ball.

As I see it, the only way we could've got the best out of him, was to lay him behind the front line and give him freedom to move in that space and pull strings.  And it takes a lot of balls to do that really, so appreciate how and why things have happened - but this should've been known when we bought him into the club - hence why I go back to it being really poor management.

The thought of Sarge up top, Rowe and Sainz either side, Tzolis tucked in behind would be immense in my head, I just feel really sad it could never be a possibility.  Made worse when watching us lump the ball up to Barnes who's man handling the defence in the hope that we'll get a freekick.

32 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

"The Bundesliga is my big goal, I want to go there 100%"

"Unfortunately in England I didn't have that good feeling"

Seems to be evidence enough to me that he wants to stay in Germany and didn't enjoy it in England?

1 minute ago, Google Bot said:

@Google Bot nails it, although I think he could be rehabilitated.

4 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

I’ve lost track, Is he still on loan or have we sold him,  if so how much ? 

On loan with agreement to buy based on certain targets - I think they're more associated with them getting promoted than personal to him though?

Price was apparently not far off what we paid.