Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Don't often make after match threads these days, but....

.....that was shambolic. Pedestrian for most of the game, midfield slow and then when going forwards, a lack of movement and support - particularly for Stacey, often isolated on the right. Leaving out Nunez and bringing forwards Mclean for Gibson was a predictably negative move by the manager - it stifled us totally. Fassnacht doesn't seem to do that much, Barnes is not the player Burnley had - but he should be - and that is down to the way he is being asked to play.

They were passionate and worked hard, but that isn't enough. Quality is what is needed - and we left it on the bench until the last twenty five minutes, by which time Millwall had the initiative and weren't going to let it go, using their usual sh*thouse way of upsetting the opposition - which we fell for hook line and sinker. 

Where has the pass and move gone?  Where are the triangles of passing that bamboozle opposition players? Rowe seems to be the only one who is up for that kind of play, the rest of them wait too long on the ball too often. Slow, slow, slow - and it happens every game - and we still get suckered into giving cheap goals away.

Rowe is our Buendia. Leave him out and we look toothless, as we were tonight. 

So we have Southampton next. Good luck with that one.....let's hope for a bit more quality on show on Monday. If we have Sargent and Rowe in from the start, we might have a chance, but after tonight, where will the confidence level be? Missed opportunity for three points tonight, hardly a shot on goal. Pretty useless really.

• Like 6

Just now, lake district canary said:

Barnes is not the player Burnley had - but he should be - and that is down to the way he is being asked to play.

If Barnes was still the player he was 4 years ago Burnley would have offered him a new deal.

They knew he didn't have enough left in the tank to do anything useful in the Premier League. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

.....that was shambolic. Pedestrian for most of the game, midfield slow and then when going forwards, a lack of movement and support - particularly for Stacey, often isolated on the right. Leaving out Nunez and bringing forwards Mclean for Gibson was a predictably negative move by the manager - it stifled us totally. Fassnacht doesn't seem to do that much, Barnes is not the player Burnley had - but he should be - and that is down to the way he is being asked to play.

They were passionate and worked hard, but that isn't enough. Quality is what is needed - and we left it on the bench until the last twenty five minutes, by which time Millwall had the initiative and weren't going to let it go, using their usual sh*thouse way of upsetting the opposition - which we fell for hook line and sinker. 

Where has the pass and move gone?  Where are the triangles of passing that bamboozle opposition players? Rowe seems to be the only one who is up for that kind of play, the rest of them wait too long on the ball too often. Slow, slow, slow - and it happens every game - and we still get suckered into giving cheap goals away.

So we have Southampton next. Good luck with that one.....let's hope for a bit more quality on show on Monday. If we have Sargent and Rowe in from the start, we might have a chance, but after tonight, where will the confidence level be? Missed opportunity for three points tonight, hardly a shot on goal. Pretty useless really.

Agree with most of that, except for your comment about Barnes. He is a superannuated thug, nothing more.

As you said, 'which we fell for hook line and sinker'. But I thought that was the main reason we bought Barnes, to be an intelligent sh/ithouser, so that we weren't naive. The truth is his legs have gone and he is getting increasingly and desperately more thuggish to try to make up for that fact.

He is supposed to be a role model for our young players. I hope to God he isn't.

• Like 3

The conclusion that you failed to reach is David Wagner should be sacked 

• Like 2

Just now, S_81 said:

I agree with that. I wanted him to succeed because he seems a genuinely nice guy, but I'm 100% sure he should go now.

That starting line-up was incredibly over-thought. In terms of formation, it changed something that was working quite nicely. In terms of overall strategy, it  lessened our chance of winning a game that we stood a good chance of winning, presumably to rest people for a game which we are much more likely to lose.

Personally, today is my final straw. He has to go.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

I agree with that. I wanted him to succeed because he seems a genuinely nice guy, but I'm 100% sure he should go now.

That starting line-up was incredibly over-thought. In terms of formation, it changed something that was working quite nicely. In terms of overall strategy, it  lessened our chance of winning a game that we stood a good chance of winning, presumably to rest people for a game which we are much more likely to lose.

Every single result in the recent upturn in results was lucky, given the performance, and given the consistent madness of his substitutions. He’s been incredibly lucky that those results have kept him in the job. But he cannot help demonstrate once more just how bad a manager he is. He simply must be sacked before the window opens. 

1 minute ago, S_81 said:

Every single result in the recent upturn in results was lucky, given the performance, and given the consistent madness of his substitutions. He’s been incredibly lucky that those results have kept him in the job. But he cannot help demonstrate once more just how bad a manager he is. He simply must be sacked before the window opens. 

Ironically, I'd say his substitutions were OK today (except for Placheta). But that is only because he made such a terrible decision about the starting line-up.

20 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Agree with most of that, except for your comment about Barnes. He is a superannuated thug, nothing more.

As you said, 'which we fell for hook line and sinker'. But I thought that was the main reason we bought Barnes, to be an intelligent sh/ithouser, so that we weren't naive. The truth is his legs have gone and he is getting increasingly and desperately more thuggish to try to make up for that fact.

He is supposed to be a role model for our young players. I hope to God he isn't.

If you think he's a Sunday League thug with shot legs now, imagine what he's going to be like towards the end of his lucrative two year contract. Stuck with **** like that.

1 hour ago, S_81 said:

That’s just rubbish.  It’s perfectly reasonable to want him gone - you can argue performances haven’t been good enough often enough, team selection has been inconsistent, etc etc but it is utterly ridiculous to claim every single decent result as ‘lucky’. That is just dumb.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

This is probably your best post ever Lakey. And I wish you hadn't needed to make it. But ...

Edited by shefcanary
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

That’s just rubbish.  It’s perfectly reasonable to want him gone - you can argue performances haven’t been good enough often enough, team selection has been inconsistent, etc etc but it is utterly ridiculous to claim every single decent result as ‘lucky’. That is just dumb.

I’ll give him Hudds and Shef Wed - where we looked better than two of the worst teams in the league - but QPR, Bristol City, Cardiff, Preston, Ipswich - were all lucky results and we could well have lost any or all of them. 

9 hours ago, S_81 said:

Can’t disagree with that, but people have to realise that until delia and Michael’s influence is over, nothing will change.

9 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

But Delia says he should stay and will not be hounded out by the fans like Webber. That being the case, then Delia should go as well, even more than Wagner.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

Can’t disagree with that, but people have to realise that until delia and Michael’s influence is over, nothing will change.

That’s the key but has been for a good while now. 

4 hours ago, S_81 said:

I’ll give him Hudds and Shef Wed - where we looked better than two of the worst teams in the league - but QPR, Bristol City, Cardiff, Preston, Ipswich - were all lucky results and we could well have lost any or all of them. 

Utter garbage.  With supporters like you who needs binner fans.  To claim we were lucky not to lose v Preston is really the most ludicrous thing you’ve ever posted and it’s a pretty long list of negative ‘support’.

Edited by Branston Pickle

8 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Utter garbage.  With supporters like you who needs binner fans.  To claim we were lucky not to lose v Preston is really the most ludicrous thing you’ve ever posted and it’s a pretty long list of negative ‘support’.

The issue here is the standards that the likes of you are willing to accept and even be happy with. It’s a large part of why we are where we are. Defending poor performance and rubbish management. Diving upon anyone with the guts to stand up and say it’s not good enough. “Binner blah blah blah”. Keep clapping as we continue to fall backwards. But you won’t get me to. Because I expect better for my club and from those who are employed in senior positions by it. Wagner needs to be gone and you need to pipe down. 

• Like 1