Sign in to follow this  
RobJames

Another good game

Had this been a few months back, and down to ten men, we would have seen goals aplenty shipped. We didn't we kept it to the one goal.

Of course, this has upset the anti-club types on here. Webber is gone so he cannot be blamed. But disliking the club allows them to attack Wagner. His tactics today were so awful that...... we errr, ......only conceded the one goal. Football is as much about what you do, as stopping what they do. Spot on with the latter today. And towards the end it was the WBA keeper wasting time and the two WBA commentators getting nervous.

Wagner certainly has the players motivated, as the result and display showed. I see a massive improvement in quite a few players. That is what will count in the second half of the season as we mount a promotion challenge. Having the ability to do it and the drive to achieve it.

It should be fun and a huge improvement on where we were in the autumn. Roll on Millwall.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I think Wagner and the players (well, aside from one) did very well today in the circumstances. Clearly the plan was to keep it tight and nick one late on, which was the right thing to do. We did ride our luck and West Brom missed several good chances, but we also threatened from set pieces late in the game and could've grabbed a point another day. 

As I said in another thread, I've been critical of Wagner on many occasions this season, but certainly not today. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It's clear to see we benefitted from having experience in the team second half and could have nicked a point. Despite losing the team should take a lot of encouragement from that game.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, RobJames said:

Had this been a few months back, and down to ten men, we would have seen goals aplenty shipped. We didn't we kept it to the one goal.

Of course, this has upset the anti-club types on here. Webber is gone so he cannot be blamed. But disliking the club allows them to attack Wagner. His tactics today were so awful that...... we errr, ......only conceded the one goal. Football is as much about what you do, as stopping what they do. Spot on with the latter today. And towards the end it was the WBA keeper wasting time and the two WBA commentators getting nervous.

Wagner certainly has the players motivated, as the result and display showed. I see a massive improvement in quite a few players. That is what will count in the second half of the season as we mount a promotion challenge. Having the ability to do it and the drive to achieve it.

It should be fun and a huge improvement on where we were in the autumn. Roll on Millwall.

What exactly is anti club about holding them to a higher standard than you clearly do? Are you happy losing games? If so then other than not losing by too many what exactly was good about it?

If you watched the same game I did we wear under heavy pressure for a majority of the time while we had 11 men. When we went down to 10 Wagner sacrificed any hope of attacking intent by bringing on defenders and parking the bus to keep it at 1. We did not exert anywhere near the level of pressure on the ball I would like to see higher up the pitch with 11 men. Our left back sauntered around the pitch like a Sunday league game, barely breaking sweat to try and recover or get back into position for how the side is set up without the ball. 

13 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

What exactly is anti club about holding them to a higher standard than you clearly do? Are you happy losing games? If so then other than not losing by too many what exactly was good about it?

If you watched the same game I did we wear under heavy pressure for a majority of the time while we had 11 men. When we went down to 10 Wagner sacrificed any hope of attacking intent by bringing on defenders and parking the bus to keep it at 1. We did not exert anywhere near the level of pressure on the ball I would like to see higher up the pitch with 11 men. Our left back sauntered around the pitch like a Sunday league game, barely breaking sweat to try and recover or get back into position for how the side is set up without the ball. 

Certain agree with the comment about the left back, Macallum is getting off lightly on this board tonight, he had an absolute shocker and was terrible in getting back and doing his main job which is defending the left side - his only saving grace was some great long throws into the box

1 minute ago, Helsinki canary said:

Certain agree with the comment about the left back, Macallum is getting off lightly on this board tonight, he had an absolute shocker and was terrible in getting back and doing his main job which is defending the left side - his only saving grace was some great long throws into the box

Easy to point fingers at McCallum, but I thought the difference in covering between Sainz and Rowe was quite stark today.

That was a shocker we didn’t match them in any department. The way they passed through our defence was embarrassing. If that is the standard that we have to put up with we are in for a long time in this division. I thought Knapper said his teams would play on the front foot even with eleven on the pitch we were defending after a couple of minutes.

Watched todays game on my phone, because pictionary got in the way. Didn't watch it all in detail, but it's crazy how inconsistent McCallum is based on the forum today. 

Away vs Ipswich - shocking first half decent second

Home vs Huddersfield - played unreal, I was loving his confidence, ability on the ball & winning in the air, physicality. 

Away today - ****e by the sounds of things & very similar to his first half at ipswich. Possibly struggles without the home fans? 

5 minutes ago, Ian said:

Easy to point fingers at McCallum, but I thought the difference in covering between Sainz and Rowe was quite stark today.

Sainz and Rowe aren’t in the squad for their defensive capabilities though are they. Had we had more attacking intent I feel that’s a moot point as they would be doing what they are paid for and not getting called out for poor defensive cover. 

24 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

We were starting to get a handle on them about the time the wonderful, completely infallible referee very wisely and judiciously sent Sainz off and ended the game.

Just now, JamieNorfolk said:

Watched todays game on my phone, because pictionary got in the way. Didn't watch it all in detail, but it's crazy how inconsistent McCallum is based on the forum today. 

Away vs Ipswich - shocking first half decent second

Home vs Huddersfield - played unreal, I was loving his confidence, ability on the ball & winning in the air, physicality. 

Away today - ****e by the sounds of things & very similar to his first half at ipswich. Possibly struggles without the home fans? 

I think McCallums form is just indicative of this Norwich side. They turn up in games in fits and starts but they have not consistency or identity. I feel this is due to having quality players who will show their talent in flashes even in a poor set up but a set up that isn’t really getting the best from anyone in it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

We were starting to get a handle on them about the time the wonderful, completely infallible referee very wisely and judiciously sent Sainz off and ended the game.

We did have some attacks but I wouldn’t class it as getting a handle on it but I see where you’re coming from. It was a harsh sending off but the lad has been daft by giving him a choice to make. If I was their manager I would be introducing fines for players sent off or booked for dissent. There is a way to talk to refs without dissent being involved or waving an imaginary card. He will learn he’s barely been in the side 5 mins so we can’t be too tough on young Sainz. 

I actually think we have a really honest group of players there are no bad apples and all are prepared to roll their sleeves up. 

There was nothing to learn today about the manager or the players we played with ten men for 60 minutes and we stayed in the game and might have nicked a point. Which is the correct game plan it’s not particularly sexy but it’s the correct one stay in the game.

• Like 1