dylanisabaddog

European Super League judgement day

3 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The Supreme Court is highly unlikely to move far from a European Court ruling. 

True in domestic matters, but when money is involved, alignment with FIFA/UEFA stance by the Football Association would probably be upheld

57 Minutes Ago....

UK 'will stop clubs from joining'

In February, the UK government announced it was introducing a regulatory body for English football that prevents clubs joining breakaway leagues like the ESL.

Based on results from a fan-led government review, the regulator will also implement a licensing system for all clubs from the Premier League down to the National League.

Today, the Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport, said it "stands by" its decision to create a new independent regulator for English football.

"We will shortly be bringing forward legislation that makes this a reality, and will stop clubs from joining any similar breakaway competitions in the future," a spokesperson said.

Manchester United were the first English club to respond to the ruling.

In a statement posted on its website, the club said: "Our position has not changed. We remain fully committed to participation in UEFA competitions, and to positive cooperation with UEFA, the Premier League, and fellow clubs through the ECA on the continued development of the European game."

12 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

They are allowed to - they are members of UEFA.

Why would UEFA have this exemption and not another Europe based football body ?

4 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

True in domestic matters, but when money is involved, alignment with FIFA/UEFA stance by the Football Association would probably be upheld

Sorry, I don't understand that. The Supreme Court here is highly unlikely to find differently to the European Court. 

6 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

57 Minutes Ago....

UK 'will stop clubs from joining'

In February, the UK government announced it was introducing a regulatory body for English football that prevents clubs joining breakaway leagues like the ESL.

Based on results from a fan-led government review, the regulator will also implement a licensing system for all clubs from the Premier League down to the National League.

Today, the Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport, said it "stands by" its decision to create a new independent regulator for English football.

"We will shortly be bringing forward legislation that makes this a reality, and will stop clubs from joining any similar breakaway competitions in the future," a spokesperson said.

Manchester United were the first English club to respond to the ruling.

In a statement posted on its website, the club said: "Our position has not changed. We remain fully committed to participation in UEFA competitions, and to positive cooperation with UEFA, the Premier League, and fellow clubs through the ECA on the continued development of the European game."

The government is also about to pass legislation that says Rwanda is a safe country. 

They can pass what legislation they want but it's a waste of time if it gets thrown out by the courts. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Sorry, I don't understand that. The Supreme Court here is highly unlikely to find differently to the European Court. 

Really? Well I think the opposite. I'd really like to know what the ECJ find so wrong in FIFA's and UEFA's stance on trying to protect their domestic leagues. I think the Supreme Court will uphold the view of the UK Government, The FA which is alignment with FIFA and UEFA. 

This is not like the PGA/LIV situation - its the National Game.

7 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The government is also about to pass legislation that says Rwanda is a safe country. 

They can pass what legislation they want but it's a waste of time if it gets thrown out by the courts. 

Who runs this country? 😉 🙂 

3 minutes ago, Keith Nott said:

Wrong. Anyways is a middle English word from the 13th century. Definitely not a typo. We love etymology down our pub. 

All the best,

Big Keith Nott

There are hundreds of words from the 13th century that have long since dropped out of usage. Was not the pedants revolt during the 13th century ? Mind you, that did have a justifiable cause. After reading numerous of your bizarre witterings they have something you appear not to have, least while on here. A purpose.

2 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Depends what you mean by 'run'. Who 'officiates' ? The judiciary, much as the ref at a football match.

3 minutes ago, RobJames said:

There are hundreds of words from the 13th century that have long since dropped out of usage. Was not the pedants revolt during the 13th century ? Mind you, that did have a justifiable cause. After reading numerous of your bizarre witterings they have something you appear not to have, least while on here. A purpose.

It's the peasants revolt. I'm sure another typo in your long quest to find purpose. 

I'm glad I'm here to help you. 

All the best 

Big Keith Nott 

Just now, Keith Nott said:

It's the peasants revolt. I'm sure another typo in your long quest to find purpose. 

I'm glad I'm here to help you. 

All the best 

Big Keith Nott 

I honestly enquired as to what EUFA was? Thought at first it was 'cynicism' (and well placed too) or that the ESL had actually copyrighted "European Union Football Association" - but no, a typo !! quelle surprise. There will be a Pink-Un uprising...we'll call it the Pedants Revolt - there are enough of us I'm sure.

• Haha 1

Just now, shefcanary said:

Stop being naughty. You'll start another Brexit thread if you're not careful. 

Like it or not, the courts have regularly told the government that it can't break the law. This will be another one of those occasions. All football clubs are corporate entities entitled to ply their trade. The governing bodies of sports are pretty much powerless I'm afraid. What has happened in golf proves that.

I dislike it but I'm afraid there's little we can do. The only people who can stop it are the fans of the clubs concerned. I know Spurs have been running a focus group with their supporters ever since the last ruling and I would guess the other clubs have done similar. If those fans just lose fixtures against the bottom 10 are they going to be bothered?  We shall see but there is no doubt our top clubs are heavily involved in this and must think they will get their fans on board. 

Just now, dylanisabaddog said:

Stop being naughty.

Guilty as charged! I'll stand in the corner.

But yeah, its the fans that'll sort it! They either want it or they don't, can see London clubs fans maybe not as opposed to the idea as the Northern based ones.

5 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

I honestly enquired as to what EUFA was? Thought at first it was 'cynicism' (and well placed too) or that the ESL had actually copyrighted "European Union Football Association" - but no, a typo !! quelle surprise. There will be a Pink-Un uprising...we'll call it the Pedants Revolt - there are enough of us I'm sure.

I am now searching the terms and conditions of joining this forum for where it says you need a purpose to post here. 

Would be grateful for @RobJames help to find it.

Maybe it's in the EUFA rules? 

Viva la Pedants! We will rise and bring about the new world order! 

All the best

Pedant Keith Nott

Edited by Keith Nott

6 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Guilty as charged! I'll stand in the corner.

But yeah, its the fans that'll sort it! They either want it or they don't, can see London clubs fans maybe not as opposed to the idea as the Northern based ones.

Londoners have Eurostar after all on their doorstep unlike the 'northern club fans' who have direct flights to Spain, Germany and Italy on Emirates/Etihad/Qatar.

HS2 will only reach Birmingham eventually - so big clubs like Villa and Brom and Wolves will all be clamoring to join the ESL.

Edited by Foxy2600
😁
  • Like 1

I know 3 Spurs season ticket holders. They are going nuts and two have enquired about season tickets at Leyton Orient. 

The third lives next door and has asked me to get him a Huddersfield ticket so he can see what it's like. That won't end well. 

1 minute ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I know 3 Spurs season ticket holders. They are going nuts and two have enquired about season tickets at Leyton Orient. 

The third lives next door and has asked me to get him a Huddersfield ticket so he can see what it's like. That won't end well. 

Exactly this

24 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

Really? Well I think the opposite. I'd really like to know what the ECJ find so wrong in FIFA's and UEFA's stance on trying to protect their domestic leagues. I think the Supreme Court will uphold the view of the UK Government, The FA which is alignment with FIFA and UEFA. 

This is not like the PGA/LIV situation - its the National Game.

"trying to protect their domestic leagues"

Ah yes, just like the Kray twins were trying to uphold the law in the jolly old Eastend, I suppose.

Just now, RobJames said:

"trying to protect their domestic leagues"

Ah yes, just like the Kray twins were trying to uphold the law in the jolly old Eastend, I suppose.

Well I did qualify it with 'when money is involved'. If one was to replace Champions League and Europa League where would UEFA's revenue stream come from??

2 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

Well I did qualify it with 'when money is involved'. If one was to replace Champions League and Europa League where would UEFA's revenue stream come from??

"True in domestic matters, but when money is involved, alignment with FIFA/UEFA stance by the Football Association would probably be upheld "

Which infers there was some form of corruption rather than it being a ruling on how the law related to that matter. You are not putting up a coherent argument, just stumbling from one misunderstanding to another

It should be obvious UEFA will try to defend their position. Whether that position is correct morally or legally is debatable in the former and wrong in the latter. Therir action is not about trying to defend national leagues, either. It is purely about self interest.

The question is whether those clubs in favour of this have their club's long term self interest at heat. I suspect not. I would venture it is more about trousering as much as possible, and to hell with what happens later.

Football is free 

That's the message they're using. 

Interesting that Bayern Munich has just said an emphatic "no" 

This is all very peculiar. Did they really go into this without one of the biggest clubs in Europe? 

Man Utd have been much more measured in their response. They remain committed to English football. Boll**ks

1 minute ago, RobJames said:

"True in domestic matters, but when money is involved, alignment with FIFA/UEFA stance by the Football Association would probably be upheld "

Which infers there was some form of corruption rather than it being a ruling on how the law related to that matter. You are not putting up a coherent argument, just stumbling from one misunderstanding to another

It should be obvious UEFA will try to defend their position. Whether that position is correct morally or legally is debatable in the former and wrong in the latter. Therir action is not about trying to defend national leagues, either. It is purely about self interest.

The question is whether those clubs in favour of this have their club's long term self interest at heat. I suspect not. I would venture it is more about trousering as much as possible, and to hell with what happens later.

OK - I'm easy with your opinion of my persona. Couldn't care less on this 3rd rate Football Forum TBH.

And there you said it.... It is purely about self-interest. And the fans agree with their position, well at least I think they do? Dunno, NCFC are not really likely to go into Europe this century, whether ECL/EL or even as a ESL participant. I hold on to the memory of 19th October 1993. I doubt it will be repeated.

30 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Football is free 

That's the message they're using. 

Interesting that Bayern Munich has just said an emphatic "no" 

This is all very peculiar. Did they really go into this without one of the biggest clubs in Europe? 

Man Utd have been much more measured in their response. They remain committed to English football. Boll**ks

As it stands Man Utd might not qualify. They are sh*te! 😉

54 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

OK - I'm easy with your opinion of my persona. Couldn't care less on this 3rd rate Football Forum TBH.

With all of the recent discussion on new forums and what would happen should this one close, I'm curious, what are the first and second rate forums we can discuss Norwich on?

31 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

With all of the recent discussion on new forums and what would happen should this one close, I'm curious, what are the first and second rate forums we can discuss Norwich on?

Well obviously TWTD - currently, the Canaries are commanding at least 5 different threads 

5 hours ago, AJ said:

The only thing super about us is our defence having the stability of soup

A quite thin soup at that.

6 hours ago, shefcanary said:

I struggle with this ruling. I think I need a barrister to help me here, or some brighter legal minds on here?

I thought all FIFA / EPL did was to say, sure go ahead and start your own league, but when you do you forfeit the right to play in our competitions. Is this court now saying the big clubs can have their cake and eat it? What would be the benefit of the big clubs staying in their respective domestic leagues? The only issue I think is that their players could no longer represent their countries in FIFA & UEFA competitions, which would lose them a degree of marketing of their players and thus their new competition. But as with golf and PGA v LIV, all that would happen is the big clubs would just introduce their own World and European Cup, if that is the way it goes. Eventually their financial might would drive FIFA and UEFA back to the negotiating table (as with golf), but at least our domestic competitions would be operating on a more level playing field, albeit with a less marketable product, but hopefully with more fun and challenge.

Nope, totally confused by the ruling.

Guessing, it is quite simple. UEFA/FIFA thought they had the power to prevent clubs, officials & players entering/creating competitions outside governing bodies jurisdiction or sanction them for doing so. The UEFA/FIFA position was really quite extreme and it is not surprising that it was rejected. It is similarly unlikely that the UK government could frame legislation to prevent them from doing so either.

So they can't stop them. but they could make it very difficult.