Sign in to follow this  
pete

High five penalty error

Its like the bowler in cricket running out the batter when they wander over the crease prior to delivery.

Not being seen as in the 'spirit' of the game but perfectly legitimate and in the rules.

Same here. It's handball. I'd want the penalty if it was us. If we'd given it away, the anger would be directed at the careless defender, not the ref-you cannot or should not be selective with the games rules, especially when any so-called spirit and sense of fair play evaporated from the game years ago.

Remember when we scored at Reading after the ball rebounded to Mulryne off the refs back? The Reading players and supporters went ballistic. But the ref was/is "in play", to disallow the goal would be ignoring the rules. Ditto the goal for, I think, Sunderland at Liverpool, that was assisted by a beach ball on the pitch. 

Here, the defender handled the ball. So penalty. Accidental? Doesn't matter. VAR gives plenty of penalties for 'accidental' handball now anyway.

Ref here was right.

1 hour ago, Old Shuck said:

Its like the bowler in cricket running out the batter when they wander over the crease prior to delivery.

Not being seen as in the 'spirit' of the game but perfectly legitimate and in the rules.

Same here. It's handball. I'd want the penalty if it was us. If we'd given it away, the anger would be directed at the careless defender, not the ref-you cannot or should not be selective with the games rules, especially when any so-called spirit and sense of fair play evaporated from the game years ago.

Remember when we scored at Reading after the ball rebounded to Mulryne off the refs back? The Reading players and supporters went ballistic. But the ref was/is "in play", to disallow the goal would be ignoring the rules. Ditto the goal for, I think, Sunderland at Liverpool, that was assisted by a beach ball on the pitch. 

Here, the defender handled the ball. So penalty. Accidental? Doesn't matter. VAR gives plenty of penalties for 'accidental' handball now anyway.

Ref here was right.

Technically, that one shouldn't have stood. If the ball hits an object that shouldn't be on the pitch, the play should be stopped and restarted with a drop ball. 

• Like 1

This is where football has gone bananas, mid 80’s when I played at Anglian Combo Level, penalties were only awarded for goal scoring opportunities, any other infringement which was not deemed a direct goal scoring opportunity was given as an indirect free kick inside the area! This is a case in point, technically hand ball, they need to bring back indirect free kicks for all these penalty area infringements but not direct goal scoring chances! 

The sort of scenario refs probably have nightmares about. Attacking team could have intentionally missed the penalty if they were being really sporting, seeing as how there was literally no advantage gained by the opposition for that handball.

55 minutes ago, Indy said:

This is where football has gone bananas, mid 80’s when I played at Anglian Combo Level, penalties were only awarded for goal scoring opportunities, any other infringement which was not deemed a direct goal scoring opportunity was given as an indirect free kick inside the area! This is a case in point, technically hand ball, they need to bring back indirect free kicks for all these penalty area infringements but not direct goal scoring chances! 

That wouldn't be a bad idea. The gravity of the reward/punishment for an infringement that leads to a penalty is so high it's ridiculous; far higher than anything in any other sport. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Indy said:

For as long as I’ve been watching or playing football, offences that carry a direct free kick punishment have always been a penalty if committed inside the penalty area, regardless of whether there was a direct scoring chance.

8 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

For as long as I’ve been watching or playing football, offences that carry a direct free kick punishment have always been a penalty if committed inside the penalty area, regardless of whether there was a direct scoring chance.

Nope I’m afraid I’m not sure your right, there was many indirect free kicks inside the box, the recent changes that mean indirect free kicks don’t apply anymore! When did that change? The ref used to indicate an indirect free kick by raising one arm if remember correctly?

Edited by Indy

30 minutes ago, Indy said:

Nope I’m afraid I’m not sure your right, there was many indirect free kicks inside the box, the recent changes that mean indirect free kicks don’t apply anymore! When did that change? The ref used to indicate an indirect free kick by raising one arm if remember correctly?

I’m not saying there didn’t used to be indirect free kicks, I’m saying that a direct free kick offence that occurred in the penalty area always resulted in a penalty even if there wasn’t a scoring opportunity.

And they certainly haven’t got rid of indirect free kicks yet.

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct#:~:text=2.-,Indirect Free Kick,s) or other verbal offences

• Like 1