Sign in to follow this  
Well b back

Simon Hooper

20 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

What's Haaland gonna do when his looks go?

Look like his dad, I guess.

2 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/13022691/ref-watch-simon-hooper-technically-did-nothing-wrong-over-man-city-call-vs-tottenham-says-dermot-gallagher

I watched it live and I wasn't sure what all the fuss was. Still not sure.

Grealish had a defender on him with two others on his heels plus he was around 35 years from goal. It's not like he was 10 yards from goal with only the keeper to beat.

Also, it was Jack Grealish. He's not exactly R9. He would've dwelled on the ball and either be fouled or be tackled

That was my thought as well. We'll never know if he would have scored or not, but the way the Man city players were acting was like he had an open goal tap in. The Spurs defender was moving rapidly and looked like he caught up easily to Grealish.

• Like 1

Hooper's mistake is a handy diversion from the fact that Man City conceded three goals at home against seriously understrength opposition.

Edited by benchwarmer

13 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Just another to add to Hooper’s long list of **** ups, it amazes me how he keeps his job 

VAR sees to that. They look after their own.

Many better referees are being denied promotions because so many of the **** ups are covered up.

If there was no VAR the cream would rise to the top instead of being held down, the current bunch of referees would show their true value and ability.

On 03/12/2023 at 20:03, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Just watched along with the Sky pundits and they are 100% of the view he has got it wrong. Grealish isn’t off side . He plays advantage , then blows when Grealish is through. 
Looks like unmitigated panic to me . Hooper should never be at this level and wouldn’t be if there wasn’t a dearth of decent refs on the Prem. He has been sacked down to the chumps twice for whole seasons, sacked again after the Wolves debacle and will now likely get sacked again. 
He just isn’t up to it . 

How many more times ? 

https://x.com/bbcsport/status/1734822961968730381?s=46&t=U-aOGGVI9O-Dy7RzwC_hmA

one day the penny will drop with Simon. 

Go and find something you are good at . 

• Like 1

I’ve just read this: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/dec/12/attack-on-referee-sums-up-turkeys-toxic-attitude-towards-officials?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other and I thought of this thread. What happened in Turkey and criticism of the standard of Hooper’s refereeing are not equivalent obviously, but they all seem to me to be part of  culture where something isn’t working.

Hooper isn’t great at his job, but he is human and even the best referees will make mistakes. What’s the answer? I don’t know but it clearly isn’t VAR. Time to look at rugby again? Even there it seems players are starting to show less respect than in the past.

33 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I’ve just read this: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/dec/12/attack-on-referee-sums-up-turkeys-toxic-attitude-towards-officials?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other and I thought of this thread. What happened in Turkey and criticism of the standard of Hooper’s refereeing are not equivalent obviously, but they all seem to me to be part of  culture where something isn’t working.

Hooper isn’t great at his job, but he is human and even the best referees will make mistakes. What’s the answer? I don’t know but it clearly isn’t VAR. Time to look at rugby again? Even there it seems players are starting to show less respect than in the past.

Ref was assaulted at kids grassroots in Norfolk this weekend.

• Sad 1