Sign in to follow this  
rock bus

Has a manager ever been sacked at half time?

Genuinely interested if anyone knows if it has happened in a professional game?

Honestly if I was Webber or Delia id have gone down and sacked him and ask one of the coaching team to take charge of the second half

Yes, Martin Jol at Spurs in 2007.

There's a rumour that Wagner has already resigned and will leave when his 12-month rolling contract comes up for renewal in January.  Doubtless the players are aware of it.  True or not, it would explain a lot.

Edited by benchwarmer

23 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

There's a rumour that Wagner has already resigned and will leave when his 12-month rolling contract is due for renewal in January.  Doubtless the players are aware of it.  True or not, it would explain a lot.

12month ROLLING contracts don’t end…..that’s the point the 12 month keeps rolling on

Just now, rock bus said:

12month ROLLING contracts don’t end…..that’s the point the 12 month keeps rolling on

I used to think that too, but apparently it's not that simple.

25 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

There's a rumour that Wagner has already resigned and will leave when his 12-month rolling contract comes up for renewal in January.  Doubtless the players are aware of it.  True or not, it would explain a lot.

Shocking yet not surprising. More limbo. No one at the club who seemingly cares 

5 minutes ago, S_81 said:

Shocking yet not surprising. More limbo. No one at the club who seemingly cares 

No one at the club can afford to pay him off early, is the problem.  Maybe the same applies to Webber.

Edited by benchwarmer

25 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

No one at the club can afford to pay him off early, is the problem.  Maybe the same applies to Webber.

Even if we can't fire Webber we can and should put him on gardening leave 

I vaguely recall Alex Neil going to the dressing room at half time before he had taken over.  Compare that with the  Knapper taking a holiday. 

4 minutes ago, FCC said:

I vaguely recall Alex Neil going to the dressing room at half time before he had taken over.  Compare that with the  Knapper taking a holiday. 

Yep, he was watching from the stands and joined dugout in second half and we came back to win.

oh for those days again….indeed I’d take him back at the moment. At least he has some passion and knows a bit about how to,an age a squad

1 hour ago, benchwarmer said:

My understanding of rolling contracts is that if the manager is sacked at any point they are contractually entiltled to a pay-off of the length of that contract. It makes no difference when the contact end. In this case we'd have to pay Wagner a full years wages in compensation whever he goes so it may as well be tomorrow.

Maybe that's wrong ?

Edited by ......and Smith must score.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, First Wazzock said:

...and to think we sacked Farke after an away win in the Prem...

We sacked Dean Smith when we were in the top 6.. We are now 18th.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary