Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Danny Batth, Sunderlands player of the season

The best defender they have ever seen they said. Saved their season they said. They all love him they say.

So uh, why does Wagner hate him? Why do we have to suffer with Gibson every single match?

And yes, I'm posting this now as an anti jinx so we keep a clean sheet and Gibson scores a hatrick 😉

Gibson is left footed and gives the defence balance. If we had two right footers against Dirty's front four, we'd get mullered. More concern about the midfield and attack. That's where our problem is today.

Just now, Hucks6 said:

Well why have we signed him then

I imagine he's wondering the same thing. Only thing we know is that Sunderland wanted to keep him but wage demands were too high so we buy him, stick him on super high wages and..

Stick him on the bench

Does increasingly seem like a very strange decision to sign him to just let him rot on the bench, we could have just plonked warner there if we were never going to change the defence up. 

• Like 2

And yet Warner and Batth could be an inspirational pairing and really sure up our keaky defence but yet Gibson keeps his place despite his errors

Here's hoping the new manager sees a change is needed 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

This can’t be the same Batth who most wrote off and said was crap when we signed him, surely?  I must be mistaken.

You are, that batth was free-standing not built-in like our one. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Gibson is left footed and gives the defence balance. If we had two right footers against Dirty's front four, we'd get mullered. More concern about the midfield and attack. That's where our problem is today.

I think that's overstated at times. Sure, it's an advantage to have a left-footed player at centre back in a back four, but all of the best partnerships in Premier League history have had two right-footers. You'd have to go a long way down the list until you find a right-left combo, unless I'm missing an obvious example.

4 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I think that's overstated at times. Sure, it's an advantage to have a left-footed player at centre back in a back four, but all of the best partnerships in Premier League history have had two right-footers. You'd have to go a long way down the list until you find a right-left combo, unless I'm missing an obvious example.

Agreed. And when the left footer uses it so poorly the ‘benefit’ is void anyhow 

4 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I don’t want Sunderland's player of the season.

Are we not better than that Webber?

I would if it's Jack Clarke. Lads a talent.