Sign in to follow this  
Ulfotto

Dylan Thompson

6 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/23842322.norwich-city-transfer-news-dylan-thompson-spurs-trial/

Another youngster rejects us in favour of Spurs. Seem similar to Matos a bit worrying if we pour money into the academy only to see players bought before they reach the first team.

Absolutely nothing unusual here.

Young players move around within the Academy system all the time, but the lack of media reporting hides it.

Barden, Gunn, Aarons, Tomkinson, Springett, Idah, Omobamidele, Brooke, Eze, Reindorf, St Paul, Stewart, Watt, Welch, Ansen, Giller, McCabe, Pinyoun, Renecke, Roberts & Fields are just some of those who have moved to (or away from) NCFC as kids.

11 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Shows how intrinsically linked the success of the first team is with the success of the academy, or the ‘model.’ 

Brentford ditched their academy because they were fed up with losing young talent. 

I suspect the real reason for Brentford ditching their Academy was so that Benham could funnel all his spare cash into their wage-fuelled promotion.

And now that they need to keep within FFP Brentford are planning to re-open their Academy.

4 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:

I suspect the real reason for Brentford ditching their Academy was so that Benham could funnel all his spare cash into their wage-fuelled promotion.

And now that they need to keep within FFP Brentford are planning to re-open their Academy.

Not true. 

And the reason they are looking to start an academy again, is because they are an established EPL side - thus enabling them to keep the talent they nurture! Which backs up my point.

4 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Not true. 

And the reason they are looking to start an academy again, is because they are an established EPL side - thus enabling them to keep the talent they nurture! Which backs up my point.

"...an established EPL side"    Don't make me laugh. They are in their third season.

Having a B team makes zero difference to losing talent to bigger clubs.

Brentford wanted it both ways; they didn't want to fund an Academy but were happy to recruit youngsters from other (small) clubs that were part of the Academy system.

And now the PL (& UEFA) have called their bluff by making it mandatory to have an Academy set-up  https://www.brentfordfc.com/en/news/article/brentford-to-open-academy

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:

"...an established EPL side"    Don't make me laugh. They are in their third season.

Having a B team makes zero difference to losing talent to bigger clubs.

Brentford wanted it both ways; they didn't want to fund an Academy but were happy to recruit youngsters from other (small) clubs that were part of the Academy system.

And now the PL (& UEFA) have called their bluff by making it mandatory to have an Academy set-up  https://www.brentfordfc.com/en/news/article/brentford-to-open-academy

How did they want it both ways? Economically having an academy wasn’t working for them. So they established a b team and picked up youngsters from clubs around them deemed not good enough and discarded. Shrewd move when your neighbours are Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, West Ham etc…

Obviously Brentford can do no wrong but not running any team apart from a first team I would imagine would save an absolute fortune in terms of staff costs and maintenance costs. 

Works both ways though, plenty of our best youngsters came to us as teenagers from all sorts of clubs bigger and smaller than us. The transfer game is far far different for youth compared to senior players.

15 hours ago, NewNestCarrow said:

Their financial statements do not bear this up - they spent nearly half as much as us on wages in their first season in the EPL. 

• Like 2

Adegboyega, Fisher and several of our under 21's (Kamara and Aboh from memory) were courted by bigger clubs but came here because they could see a faster route to high level first team football. Some will take the bait, that's just the way it is. Our under 21's are in the best shape for years and that's not an accident. 

4 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Their financial statements do not bear this up - they spent nearly half as much as us on wages in their first season in the EPL. 

I specifically said promotion, achieved by regularly spending over 150% of their income on wages

It is clear that closing their Academy offered a (short-term) financial benefit to Brentford. T

39 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:

I specifically said promotion, achieved by regularly spending over 150% of their income on wages

It is clear that closing their Academy offered a (short-term) financial benefit to Brentford. T

Very true I’m surprised that there more key metrics have emerged in football yet. A good one would be as you say Wage to Turnover ratio. I would also be interested in a total football budget to include any costs which relate to football to include back room staff analysts etc… Like retail companies are measured on like for like sales or insurance companies on a combined ratio.

If there is one position for which we are exceptionally well stocked, it's quality young keepers.