Sign in to follow this  
East Rider

Captain Kenny

Kenny McClean has (in my opinion) turned from a decent club midfielder into a superb captain on the pitch for us this season, just when we needed it and long may it continue. Watching yesterday, he was again directing the game, speaking continually to team members and leading through an example of effort and commitment.

His promotion to captain has certainly coincided with an upturn in performance from both himself and the team. 

Great effort Captain Kenny, keep up the good work.

I’ve been quite a critic of Kenny in the past but this season he has been very good and yesterday was excellent 

4 hours ago, East Rider said:

Kenny McClean has (in my opinion) turned from a decent club midfielder into a superb captain on the pitch for us this season, just when we needed it and long may it continue. Watching yesterday, he was again directing the game, speaking continually to team members and leading through an example of effort and commitment.

His promotion to captain has certainly coincided with an upturn in performance from both himself and the team. 

Great effort Captain Kenny, keep up the good work.

Maybe all that 'pointing' he was constantly getting criticised for from some quarters was actually evidence of excellent game management and leadership skills after all. Who'd have thought it, eh?

It's brilliant to see him finally getting the recognition he deserves from all but the most stubborn of critics (that's in no way directed at you, OP). He seems to have stepped up another gear in his new deeper-lying role; Wagner is certainly getting the very best out of him, and long may it continue.

Growing, learning, improving and leading by example... reminds me a bit of how Farke got Tettey to step up a level or two towards the end of his career. Kenny will leave here as a club legend, as Alex did before him.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

Maybe all that 'pointing' he was constantly getting criticised for from some quarters was actually evidence of excellent game management and leadership skills after all. Who'd have thought it, eh?

Actually he isn't pointing as much any more. He now has a word in other players shell-likes! Giving him the captaincy seems to have matured him, the extra responsibility has somehow made him a more all round midfielder, a team player at last.

27 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Actually he isn't pointing as much any more. He now has a word in other players shell-likes! Giving him the captaincy seems to have matured him, the extra responsibility has somehow made him a more all round midfielder, a team player at last.

Nah. He still points. It's just you're struggling to insult him for it because it's impossible to not see the impact he's having.

I do think captaincy suits him, but that's been the case with him for the past few years. The main difference is its now not only him trying to organise, he has help from both Duffy and Barnes and Stacey.

21 minutes ago, hogesar said:

The main difference is its now not only him trying to organise, he has help from both Duffy and Barnes and Stacey.

Spot on. He certainly does still point and direct things as do the others. In any case it's working well for now

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Nah. He still points. It's just you're struggling to insult him for it because it's impossible to not see the impact he's having.

I do think captaincy suits him, but that's been the case with him for the past few years. The main difference is its now not only him trying to organise, he has help from both Duffy and Barnes and Stacey.

Oh Hoggy, i agree he still points, but not as much. And when he does now it is with a definite purpose rather than passing the buck as in past seasons. He has matured at long last.

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

Oh Hoggy, i agree he still points, but not as much. And when he does now it is with a definite purpose rather than passing the buck as in past seasons. He has matured at long last.

No. He hasn't at 30 something years old suddenly completely changed his entire personality and behaviour. You just want to think that to validate all your previously unfair criticism 😇

Hoggy…

It’s been a magical and mystical transformation. Imagine King Kenny not entering the stadium through the players tunnel but down the steps to the stage almost as if he’s on Stars In Their Eyes. “Tonight I’m going to be the Pink Un poster boy…

This week anyway…

• Haha 1