cambridgeshire canary

Meanwhile in Birmingham

16 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Dear oh dear

No real surprise there, our corrupt Tory government will spend whatever they think it takes to keep Andy Street as mayor there, as he's one of the few electoral assets they still have.

20 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Dear oh dear

Why did you edit the original post, what part of the Muslims are taking over and this is what the future looks like did you not want people to read?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

No real surprise there, our corrupt Tory government will spend whatever they think it takes to keep Andy Street as mayor there, as he's one of the few electoral assets they still have.

He's also a ULEZ advocate but his name isn't Khan so the right wing press don't mention that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Why did you edit the original post, what part of the Muslims are taking over and this is what the future looks like did you not want people to read?

Because this country has hate speech laws which have very sadly been misued and I don't fancy a copper knocking on my door calling me a naughty boy😉

That and my comment was about current growth trends in the terms of minorities and majorites in Birmingham if you compare current child having percentages among the current classes combined with past statstical increases in certain races and relgiions and decreases in others and not the Uk or world as a whole.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

26 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Because this country has hate speech laws which have very sadly been misued and I don't fancy a copper knocking on my door calling me a naughty boy😉

That and my comment was about current growth trends in the terms of minorities and majorites in Birmingham if you compare current child having percentages among the current classes combined with past statstical increases in certain races and relgiions and decreases in others and not the Uk or world as a whole.

Complete b0ll0x.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

People of Muslim heritage make up about 6% of the UK population. What percentage of those do you know to be supportive of fundamentalist Islamic ideology? Not a good look to be fuelling the sort of racist scaremongering in the OP. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_the_United_Kingdom

5 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

He's also a ULEZ advocate but his name isn't Khan so the right wing press don't mention that.

That’s correct, living in Birmingham I was shocked to see Tories rounding on Khan, but not mentioning Street.

On 27/08/2023 at 15:41, horsefly said:

People of Muslim heritage make up about 6% of the UK population. What percentage of those do you know to be supportive of fundamentalist Islamic ideology? Not a good look to be fuelling the sort of racist scaremongering in the OP. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_the_United_Kingdom

Exactly. You’d be justifiably upset if someone started arguing a blanket “white people are racist”. So don’t paint all Muslims with an extremism brush.

• Like 2

The grant for the mosque has been stopped as a result of the video.

The chap in the video is Shaykh Zakaullah Saleem, the head Imam and head of education at the Green Lane mosque, presumably a figure many there look to for moral guidance, He was simply explaining in a calm and matter-of-fact way the prescribed punishment for 'zina', the term for illicit sexual relations, which is still a legally prescribed punishment in some countries.

Sudan ordered this on a 20-year old woman last year, although a retrial was ordered by a higher court after international outcry over the sentence. The practise constitutes a form of torture under international law.

https://www.civicus.org/index.php/media-resources/news/6048-sudan-woman-at-risk-of-death-by-stoning

This is not an ordinary layman. It's a person who many people actively look to for moral guidance on what's right and wrong who heads an establishment that was to receive two million pounds of taxpayer's money for youth work. This looks to me like a textbook example of the sort of indoctrination that inspires young Muslims to become radicalised against the society in which they have grown up. His speech strikes me as completely legitimate grounds to be alarmed by the fact it is being normalised, especially bearing in mind the fact that a government body was happy to promote this with government funding until the backlash to this video.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

The grant for the mosque has been stopped as a result of the video.

The chap in the video is Shaykh Zakaullah Saleem, the head Imam and head of education at the Green Lane mosque, presumably a figure many there look to for moral guidance, He was simply explaining in a calm and matter-of-fact way the prescribed punishment for 'zina', the term for illicit sexual relations, which is still a legally prescribed punishment in some countries.

Sudan ordered this on a 20-year old woman last year, although a retrial was ordered by a higher court after international outcry over the sentence. The practise constitutes a form of torture under international law.

https://www.civicus.org/index.php/media-resources/news/6048-sudan-woman-at-risk-of-death-by-stoning

This is not an ordinary layman. It's a person who many people actively look to for moral guidance on what's right and wrong who heads an establishment that was to receive two million pounds of taxpayer's money for youth work. This looks to me like a textbook example of the sort of indoctrination that inspires young Muslims to become radicalised against the society in which they have grown up. His speech strikes me as completely legitimate grounds to be alarmed by the fact it is being normalised, especially bearing in mind the fact that a government body was happy to promote this with government funding until the backlash to this video.

I’m not sure I see the problem here. Unless you expect the public body who were to give the grant to be able to see into the future, it seems a reasonable way to behave. The mosque appeared to be worthy of a grant, as given (I imagine) to various other organisations related to many different religions. Circumstances changed which made the grant unwise so the public body retracted it. There may have been a failure to do proper due diligence, but that’s a different point to what you’ve said in your post.

Unless you also believe all Muslims are extremists, so local and national government shouldn’t engage with them at all?

25 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I’m not sure I see the problem here.

31 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

There may have been a failure to do proper due diligence.

There was a failure of due diligence towards a mosque that has been at the centre of controversy in the past, having been criticised by Maajid Nawaz' anti-extremist Quilliam foundation for allegedly hosting extremist speakers and also featured in the 2010 Channel 4 documentary Unerdocver Mosque, which exposed extremist preaching in UK mosques, featuring Green Lane.

Nobody has said anything about 'all Muslims'. Mosques are community focal points that openly influence the outlooks of many people; they are potentially ideal bases for radicalisation to terrorism and have been shown to have done exactly that in some cases.

The guy in the video is an esteemed and respected member of the UK's Muslim community. What he's preaching here, in a UK mosque, is fundamentalism advocating  torture as justice. I'm astounded you don't see a problem there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I'm astounded you don't see a problem there.

Just to be absolutely clear here, as it appears I need to be. I don’t see a problem with what happened with the grant, which is what your post started with.

8 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Just to be absolutely clear here, as it appears I need to be. I don’t see a problem with what happened with the grant, which is what your post started with.

I understood that, which is why I went on to mention controversy about this particular mosque and what was preached there in the past. Even in light of that, it was deemed appropriate to hand money to this organisation for youth activities. How?

Poor Clifford. Genius. Listen to his words. "Not the one in Alabam" (note.)

Words and melody combined. 

I share his luv for Brum.

Edited by BroadstairsR