Sign in to follow this  
Canary73

RIP Parky

He was certainly the best of the chat show hosts. Wogan often wanted to talk more about himself. But Parky just let them all ramble on and let us make our own minds up. Apart from that fcuking Emu.

Taken from a pretty amusing book called Is It Just Me Or Is Everything Sh*t?

Here is a slice of classic Parky.

Parkinson: You really are rather good, aren't you?
Asinine Celebrity: Yes, that's right, haha!
Parkinson: Marvellous. So, when did you realise you were so great?
Asinine Celebrity: Not really sure. Probably about the time of a tedious childhood anecdote.
Parkinson: Marvellous. Would you like to come round my house and have some drinks?
Asinine Celebrity: Yes please. By the way, I just want to say that you're looking so good. Parky. It's Parky, everyone, look! Doesn't he look great? I can't believe I'm here! With Parky! On Parky!
Parkinson: Marvellous. I'm from Yorkshire, you know.

Just listening to Billy Connolly talking about the joke that launched him to stardom on his first appearance on Parkinson.  He admitted that a Scottish football fan had told him the joke a week before in Valencia. Connolly admitted that he must owe the unknown man a small fortune. 

I must say, he was another one of a long line of celebs who, when I heard they had died, I thought they had died years ago. I read his autobiography and remember being amused about his cricket anecdotes.

13 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Opened the batting at Barnsley CC with Dickie Bird. Kept Boycott out of the Barnsley team for a while.

I now have a vision of Parky opening for England and  Boycott hosting a chat show ...😱

RIP 

The last event Parkinson attended was Dickie Bird's 90th birthday party :

https://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2023-08-17/dickie-bird-tells-of-final-goodbyes-on-day-michael-parkinson-died

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't have guessed that the thing we had in common was like me Michael Parkinson was a member of the Anti-Nazi League. 

Edited by A Load of Squit
  • Like 1