Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

So according to Zoe we will make an appointment imminently

1 minute ago, The Real Buh said:

Has he ever done an interview we’re he doesn’t mention he’s not going to be here much longer?

That never sent a flag up to the board?

Tail wagging the Dog ! 

• Like 2

I think that some time ago Webber thought that there would be a queue of clubs after him. He did say at one time he wanted to work abroad.

Those days have well and truly gone.

He should now be of garden leave, not still having every say in recruiting , when clearly his heart is not in the job at hand.

He has been given too much of a free rein . As far as his wife still working here after he leave is beyond belief.  That would be a total conflict of interest to say the least.

3 minutes ago, Bradwell canary said:

I think that some time ago Webber thought that there would be a queue of clubs after him. He did say at one time he wanted to work abroad.

He should now be of garden leave, not still having every say in recruiting , when clearly his heart is not in the job at hand.

He has been given too much of a free rein . As far as his wife still working here after he leave is beyond belief.  That would be a total conflict of interest to say the least.

She worked here whilst Webber was at Huddersfield, I don't think anyone including you had a problem with it then?

47 minutes ago, hogesar said:

She worked here whilst Webber was at Huddersfield, I don't think anyone including you had a problem with it then?

At that time she wasn't part of a husband and wife team who had been handed de facto control of our club. Although personally I have no issue with her staying, he should be gone now or on gardening leave - there is no way he should be guiding the future of a club he is leaving rather than that task being given to his successor.

Surprise, surprise, though - no sign of any successor yet, which is very convenient indeed for Mr Webber who can pick and choose when he leaves (probably as soon as Leeds give him the job). 

It stinks.

2 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

At that time she wasn't part of a husband and wife team who had been handed de facto control of our club. Although personally I have no issue with her staying, he should be gone now or on gardening leave - there is no way he should be guiding the future of a club he is leaving rather than that task being given to his successor.

Surprise, surprise, though - no sign of any successor yet, which is very convenient indeed for Mr Webber who can pick and choose when he leaves (probably as soon as Leeds give him the job). 

It stinks.

He can also deliberately weaken us while preparing to move to a rival don’t forget that

1 hour ago, Bradwell canary said:

I don’t think there is a conflict of interest with her working here once he’s gone. 

There is, however, a conflict of interest if he has already agreed/lined up to join Leeds and is still overseeing our transfer businesses ahead of a season where they will be our direct competitors.

in fairness to Webber, who many will know I don’t like very much, I see no evidence based on our business so far of him downing tools or not focusing on recruiting what we need in this window. It will, however, be interesting to keep an eye on any signings Leeds make in this window and whether any were potential targets for us. 

20 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

He can also deliberately weaken us while preparing to move to a rival don’t forget that

Personally, I don't think he would do that, but the key thing is that it's naive and amateurish even to give him the opportunity. Since we are not talking about keeping something ticking over but a radical realignment of the club, out should mean out.

My personal take on this is that he is hanging around in the belief he has that he is special and no one else could do the job as well as he can.

I mean, look at the mess Brighton and Brentford are in because of the woeful inadequates they have in charge of recruitment rather than our resident genius.

Maybe....just maybe an' as them both bein' proppa professionals....Zoe an' Stu don't actually discuss work at home?.....(Chortle, chuckle an' Guffaw)....

27 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

We've made more early signings than, I think last time I checked, the rest of the entire division. So it doesn't seem to be a problem in terms of us actioning our long-term transfer plans.

Just now, hogesar said:

We've made more early signings than, I think last time I checked, the rest of the entire division. So it doesn't seem to be a problem in terms of us actioning our long-term transfer plans.

Are they the correct transfers? Are they being transferred to us competitively? Can we trust Webber to get us the best deal as and when we sell our players.

Given the situation there’s no way Webber can be trusted on a business level. It’s naïveté in the highest form and no other club would do it. It’s just more evidence of how we run as a club, in a sort of “muggish” fashion really.

I think Webbers wasted enough of our money at this point and should probably stop now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

IMO, this is not the point. If he made his decision that he was going to leave known in March, that gave us three months to get a new person in, who would then be part of the larger future vision of where the club should head, not be stuck with a strategy laid down by his predecessor. Webber in theory could have been part of this process, explaining the direction in which he believed the club should go, but any final decision on overall strategy and recruitment should have lain with his successor.

Let me say again that this is not about someone keeping things ticking over while a successor is agreed; it is about someone making key, radical decisions about the future which will affect the club for years to come. It's amateur, it's confusing, and it will probably mean that anyone with genuine vision will not take the post.

Edited by canarybubbles
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, canarybubbles said:

IMO, this is not the point. If he made his decision that he was going to leave known in March, that gave us three months to get a new person in, who would then be part of the larger future vision of where the club should head, not be stuck with a strategy laid down by his predecessor. Webber in theory could have been part of this process, explaining the direction in which he believed the club should go, but any final decision on overall strategy and recruitment should have lain with his successor.

It's amateur, it's confusing, and it will probably mean that anyone with genuine vision will not take the post.

Every day the club grows weaker and it’s the boards fault

12 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Are they the correct transfers? Are they being transferred to us competitively? Can we trust Webber to get us the best deal as and when we sell our players.

Given the situation there’s no way Webber can be trusted on a business level. It’s naïveté in the highest form and no other club would do it. It’s just more evidence of how we run as a club, in a sort of “muggish” fashion really.

I think Webbers wasted enough of our money at this point and should probably stop now.

10 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

It's amateur, it's confusing, and it will probably mean that anyone with genuine vision will not take the post.

I think you both seem to think Webber picks names out of a hat and thats who we sign.

In reality Wagner will have had regular meetings with Webber and with the entire recruiting department. The scouting network and scouts themselves will have been involved and we'll have been tracking some of the players we're looking to sign or have signed for over 6 months.

What we do know is the club wants a continuity of the culture already in place. You might not agree with it but Zoe was very clear about that. I would suggest that the majority of our first team signings are for instant first-team success at this point. They're not going to make us money by flogging them in a year. 

For me none of this is as amateur or confusing as is being made out. This happens in football all the time. The only difference is the fans are all aware that Webber is leaving, whereas when this has happened multiple times in the past just without fans knowing.

The biggest example recently is with the most sought after Sporting Director in recent times, Dan Ashworth at Brighton. Everyone and his dog knew in October he was going to be going to Newcastle, but he didn't actually leave until February ,after the January window had finished.

Now, Brighton are currently regarded as the go to club for clubs our size trying to achieve Premier League stability. If it's good enough for them it's probably ok for us.

Edited by hogesar
  • Like 2

Wonder if our Stu would've signed those players for Leeds that we've recently signed....if he was now settled at Leeds?....

Edited by Mello Yello

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I think you both seem to think Webber picks names out of a hat and thats who we sign.

In reality Wagner will have had regular meetings with Webber and with the entire recruiting department. The scouting network and scouts themselves will have been involved and we'll have been tracking some of the players we're looking to sign or have signed for over 6 months.

What we do know is the club wants a continuity of the culture already in place. You might not agree with it but Zoe was very clear about that. I would suggest that the majority of our first team signings are for instant first-team success at this point. They're not going to make us money by flogging them in a year. 

There isn't a culture in place. First there was Farkeball, then there was pragmatism, then there was deep pressing, and now there is getting experienced people in - all in less than two years. This is the shambles that any new SD will face when he eventually takes over.

Edited by canarybubbles

14 minutes ago, hogesar said:

For me none of this is as amateur or confusing as is being made out. This happens in football all the time. The only difference is the fans are all aware that Webber is leaving, whereas when this has happened multiple times in the past just without fans knowing.

The biggest example recently is with the most sought after Sporting Director in recent times, Dan Ashworth at Brighton. Everyone and his dog new in October he was going to be going to Newcastle, but he didn't actually leave until February ,after the January window had finished.

Now, Brighton are currently regarded as the go to club for clubs our size trying to achieve Premier League stability. If it's good enough for them it's probably ok for us.

The difference is Dan Ashworth didn’t resign and give a 12 month notice and then get linked to another club. People can be linked with whoever it’s not a problem and happens all the time But Stu has declared he’s leaving and continuing to work here. 

At that point he simply can’t be involved in making significant decisions about the club, that just can’t happen. The link to a league rival makes that point perfectly clear.

it exposes the club massively, surely that’s not a hard point to understand.

10 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

There isn't a culture in place. First there was Farkeball, then there was pragmatism, then there was deep pressing, and now there is getting experienced people in - all in less than two years. This is the shambles that any new SD will face when he eventually takes over.

I think you're misplacing the club culture to a playing philosophy. The Sporting Director role is wider than that and what Zoe was referring to. 

3 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

The difference is Dan Ashworth didn’t resign and give a 12 month notice and then get linked to another club. People can be linked with whoever it’s not a problem and happens all the time But Stu has declared he’s leaving and continuing to work here. 

At that point he simply can’t be involved in making significant decisions about the club, that just can’t happen. The link to a league rival makes that point perfectly clear.

it exposes the club massively, surely that’s not a hard point to understand.

I get what you're saying but where's the difference? Ashworth knew he was going to Newcastle in October, the whole footballing world knew he was going to Newcastle in October yet he oversaw Brighton's January window in their best Premier League season? 

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I get what you're saying but where's the difference? Ashworth knew he was going to Newcastle in October, the whole footballing world knew he was going to Newcastle in October yet he oversaw Brighton's January window in their best Premier League season? 

He was still a member of staff under contract and not under any notice conditions? This is not hard to understand.

If you take your line of thinking you can just say “everyone’s going to work for someone else one day so can’t be trusted”

Webbers made it clear he’s going in the next 12 months (absolute sham we’d accept this) and we are happy for him to be linked to a league rival and still continue to make astute decisions for us? That’s a very different situation, exposes the club massively and generally makes the club look like a soft touch (again)

none of this is remotely good for Norwich City football club but I think some fans are happy for the club to be exposed if it means those that don’t like Webber “don’t get their way” 

2 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

He was still a member of staff under contract and not under any notice conditions? This is not hard to understand.

If you take your line of thinking you can just say “everyone’s going to work for someone else one day so can’t be trusted”

Webbers made it clear he’s going in the next 12 months (absolute sham we’d accept this) and we are happy for him to be linked to a league rival and still continue to make astute decisions for us? That’s a very different situation, exposes the club massively and generally makes the club look like a soft touch (again)

none of this is remotely good for Norwich City football club but I think some fans are happy for the club to be exposed if it means those that don’t like Webber “don’t get their way” 

But the reality is Ashworth made it clear he was going to Newcastle in October. But he still continued to make decisions for Brighton. Just because the fans weren't told he was definitely off it was clear to everyone around the club that he would be. And Newcastle were a definite league rival.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

But the reality is Ashworth made it clear he was going to Newcastle in October. But he still continued to make decisions for Brighton. Just because the fans weren't told he was definitely off it was clear to everyone around the club that he would be. And Newcastle were a definite league rival.

Did he resign or give any public indication he’d resign?

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yes, Brighton even let him speak with Newcastle in December, just before an important January window:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/dec/20/newcastle-to-talk-with-brighton-dan-ashworth-over-director-of-football-job

That’s a totally different situation and you know it. Allowing someone to talk to a potential new employer but still remain under contract with no resignation conditions is in no way the same as someone saying they will definitively be gone in 12 months or sooner and being heavily linked with a league rival.

This allows him to make poor decisions for us and leave for them whenever he likes. One is a respectful relationship with an employee allowing them to speak to someone and one is a man with an undeserved ego playing games with the future of our club.

Only Norwich would allow this exposure to take place and the fact some fans are behind it is… actually not shocking at all. It’s a question of IQ really.

Edited by The Real Buh

1 minute ago, The Real Buh said:

That’s a totally different situation and you know it. Allowing someone to talk to a potential new employer but still remain under contract with no resignation conditions is in no way the same as someone saying they will definitively be gone in 12 months or sooner and being heavily linked with a league rival.

This allows him to make poor decisions for us and leave for them whenever he likes. One is a respectful relationship with an employee allowing them to speak to someone and one is a man with an undeserved ego playing games with the future of our club.

Only Norwich would allow this exposure to take place and the fact some fans are behind it is… actually not shocking at all. It’s a question of IQ really.

The situation is different but how is the end result any different?

Ashworth is still employed at Brighton despite obviously going to Newcastle in the coming months.

Webber is still employed at Norwich despite obviously going to Leeds in the coming months (allegedly)

Both have the same scope to still make decisions. Both can get those decisions right or wrong.

The difference is your determination to find a problem with it, which is admirable but don't trick yourself into thinking you're some intellectual genius because there's posters on here who can't spell their own name who've been making the point you have.

• Like 1

Just now, hogesar said:

The situation is different but how is the end result any different?

Ashworth is still employed at Brighton despite obviously going to Newcastle in the coming months.

Webber is still employed at Norwich despite obviously going to Leeds in the coming months (allegedly)

Both have the same scope to still make decisions. Both can get those decisions right or wrong.

The difference is your determination to find a problem with it, which is admirable but don't trick yourself into thinking you're some intellectual genius because there's posters on here who can't spell their own name who've been making the point you have.

Ashworth is an eminently successful sporting director looking to potentially move to a club recently flush in cash. This is a respectful situation.

Webber, despite early successes, is a failure leaving us in a worse position than when he started who is leaving under a cloud.

The fact this 12 month situation has been allowed to continue is evidence of a club and management structure in total disarray.

Lets face it, people who support Webber have room temperature number IQs who don’t care if the club is exposed financially or if it’s standing within the footballing community is weakened. That’s just facts.

10 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

Wonder if our Stu would've signed those players for Leeds that we've recently signed....if he was now settled at Leeds?....

You cant be that Stupid.  

On 27/06/2023 at 19:04, glory.win or die. said:

Did we hire recruitment experts to advise us on the best recruitment experts to hire

I think we go with the wisdom of crowds and just do a poll on the Pink Un forum.

On 28/06/2023 at 10:30, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

I have no experience or expertise in this field…

You’re in the right place. The Pink Un forum is clearly your spiritual home.

• Haha 1