Sign in to follow this  
Harry53

Luton Deserve A Shot At The PL

2 hours ago, ZLF said:

Personally, i want Luton to win, I still bear a Coventry grudge

I just find Coventry a really boring club, Luton all the way for me too!

15 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Again, for balance, They also didn't have 4 first team players out injured, including both CBs during the run-in.

14 hours ago, S_81 said:

Oh give it up man, we’ve hired a dud. And our CBs are duds too. We need better on both counts. Sadly no sign of it 

15 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

One game, Robins and Coventry didn't lose against anyone other playoff side.

It could've been us. I'm certain Robins would have bailed for us, but we've a moron making the big decisions. 

I think @Google Bot does make a good point though. There's parts of Wagners management i've not liked regardless of injuries, but Coventry fans will say the same about Robins..

When Robins had a similar level of injuries to key players as we did - which for them was the start of the season - they were bottom of the league in October and lost 3-0 to a Dean Smith Norwich.

On 17/05/2023 at 14:35, ron obvious said:

I watched the game last night. Unfortunately.

Words fail me. Well almost. Luton were abysmal. I doubt they strung two passes together all night. It was a tangle of arms, legs, teeth, hair ... they were well organised , but showed as much footballing ability as league 1 club at best. Second goal was good, excellent cross & bags of commitment for the header. That was it.

If you think that's good to watch, want to see that at Carrow Road, then you're welcome, but include me out. 

Please understand I would love Norwich to demonstrate the same level of desire, athleticism & organisation as Luton. But I WANT TO WATCH FOOTBALL & that wasn't it. 

Also if anybody thinks that a team with that skill set would succeed in the PL ... well I just think they're deluded.

So our slow tempo, giving the opposition loads of time and space, poor tackling, non existant crossing, c rap corners that don't beat the 1st defender, ridiculous playing out from the back when the ball doesn't leave our goal area which leaves the defender with the ball closed down and blocked into a corner, seemingly clueless when going over the half way line, giving a League 1 standard striker a 5 year deal and general lack of team spirit and understanding is better?

In 1998 we had Neil (loads hate him but hes been a decent manager at Norwich sized clubs!) )Warnock up for a job interview after getting rid of MIke Walker. He was told by a Director " I don't think our fans would like your style of play" to which Colin replied - "whats that, winning?!"

Norwich fans and the club itself have to get out of this mindset!

I think Luton would have more of a go than we have in our last two pityful seasons in the Premier!

Edited by kingsway

7 hours ago, hogesar said:

I think @Google Bot does make a good point though. There's parts of Wagners management i've not liked regardless of injuries, but Coventry fans will say the same about Robins..

When Robins had a similar level of injuries to key players as we did - which for them was the start of the season - they were bottom of the league in October and lost 3-0 to a Dean Smith Norwich.

Wasn't that more to do with the fact that they had to play 6 of the first 7 games away, and had played 2 or 3 games less than every team?

7 hours ago, Google Bot said:

I just find Coventry a really boring club, Luton all the way for me too!

I think Coventry’s recent Wembley experiences may be key. Completely different team now but Robins knows how to set up a team to handle a Wembley experience. Luton are favourites but I wouldn’t back them at 11/8 over 90 minutes. 

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I think Coventry’s recent Wembley experiences may be key. Completely different team now but Robins knows how to set up a team to handle a Wembley experience.

I even find Robins boring as hell though, everything about them is just ordinary to me.   But many others would say that about us, just one of those things I guess.  Whereas when I look at Luton I have a very strong willingness for them to do well, they seem to have that character and magic about them which attracts a neutral.

That said, I grew up with Coventry around the top flight, so it's not so surprising to see them around this position now - for me they're not a small club coming up against the odds, they should be bumping around similar positions to us.

8 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I even find Robins boring as hell though, everything about them is just ordinary to me.   But many others would say that about us, just one of those things I guess.  Whereas when I look at Luton I have a very strong willingness for them to do well, they seem to have that character and magic about them which attracts a neutral.

That said, I grew up with Coventry around the top flight, so it's not so surprising to see them around this position now - for me they're not a small club coming up against the odds, they should be bumping around similar positions to us.

I get you when you hear Robins talk, very monotone indeed. That said he’s doing a superb job there. Winning promotion without a home ground was a great achievement in League one. To now get to this next level when your most expensive player cost £1m is impressive. 

1 hour ago, kingsway said:

So our slow tempo, giving the opposition loads of time and space, poor tackling, non existant crossing, c rap corners that don't beat the 1st defender, ridiculous playing out from the back when the ball doesn't leave our goal area which leaves the defender with the ball closed down and blocked into a corner, seemingly clueless when going over the half way line, giving a League 1 standard striker a 5 year deal and general lack of team spirit and understanding is better?

In 1998 we had Neil (loads hate him but hes been a decent manager at Norwich sized clubs!) )Warnock up for a job interview after getting rid of MIke Walker. He was told by a Director " I don't think our fans would like your style of play" to which Colin replied - "whats that, winning?!"

Norwich fans and the club itself have to get out of this mindset!

I think Luton would have more of a go than we have in our last two pityful seasons in the Premier!

Where did I say we'd performed well? I said I'd love to see their level of commitment, defensive organisation & energy in our players. 

But, above all, I want to watch football with some skill,  trickery, passes threaded through the eye of a needle, some moments of invention & magic. And that wasn't it. It was the pub version of Pulisball.

1 hour ago, ron obvious said:

Where did I say we'd performed well? I said I'd love to see their level of commitment, defensive organisation & energy in our players. 

But, above all, I want to watch football with some skill,  trickery, passes threaded through the eye of a needle, some moments of invention & magic. And that wasn't it. It was the pub version of Pulisball.

Where did I say we'd performed well?

Lutons style of play is more effective at getting wins than what ours is, fact not opinion!

I found watching Luton refreshing the other night refreshing! - The desire, closing down, non stop press, energy, superb corners, attacking the oppositions goal etc and all from players you've haven't heard of other than Carlton Morris is a wonderful achievement!

A tinpot club with a low budget outperforming Norwich says it all about the season we've had!

Edited by kingsway
  • Thanks 1

They and Coventry certainly prove that in the Champs money is not everything.

These teams display a togetherness that we have not seen here since Farke left.

Their combined spend is probably less than 50% of ours.

Lambert and Farke never had much to spend, yet achieved more than any of us thought possible.

8 minutes ago, Bradwell canary said:

They and Coventry certainly prove that in the Champs money is not everything.

These teams display a togetherness that we have not seen here since Farke left.

Their combined spend is probably less than 50% of ours.

Lambert and Farke never had much to spend, yet achieved more than any of us thought possible.

Far less than 50% - Coventry squad cost less than £2m in total.  Can't imagine Luton's was much more.

2 hours ago, Davidlingfield said:

Far less than 50% - Coventry squad cost less than £2m in total.  Can't imagine Luton's was much more.

They spent a reported £2m on Carlton morris but all about net spend for Luton