daly

National Anthem today at CR

3 hours ago, chicken said:

Probably should be in non-football for the responses that will undoubtedly follow.

Personally, I am straight down the line. Don't care. I love we live in a democratic country with freedom of expression that allows people to voice their opposition to monarchy if that is their belief. We don't have to agree with it, but we can admire that people are able to do so without the repercussions of being bludgeoned by heavy handed thugs and sent to a gulag. 

Give it time….

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Yup, I saw that... it has gotten worse, admittedly. Still not being beaten to a pulp, dragged off and not seen for a decade whilst eating gruel and breaking rocks in a gulag though... I mean the Met even apologised. 

On 08/05/2023 at 20:21, cambridgeshire canary said:

Should be Rule Britania and we all know it. Ok, ok maybe Jerusalem..

Rule Brittania is about colonialism and slavery. 

Jerusalem is about Jesus visiting England. 

But the current anthem really shouldn't be used by English sports teams. It's a dirge and is highly unlikely to inspire anyone. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Rule Brittania is about colonialism and slavery. 

Jerusalem is about Jesus visiting England. 

But the current anthem really shouldn't be used by English sports teams. It's a dirge and is highly unlikely to inspire anyone. 

Yes, it is a dirge. I Vow to The My Country is a good tune and there are enough verses that don't have too much of a martial emphasis, and/or could be tinkered with.

• Thanks 1

Should bring back the 'Red Flag' and use it as the new national anthem....There'd be a few on here getting a matchstick twitch down their nether regions...

"The working class can kiss my a$$, I've got the foreman's job at last"....