Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Just stop oil..

12 minutes ago, Herman said:

Not knowing them personally I could be wide of the mark but maybe JSO also feel they have no other democratic way, having only one very small party with a similar viewpoint.

Herman - I can have sympathy with their views but just not their counterproductive means. It's a common trait among evangelical zealots that always make the perfect the enemy of the good. We are moving quite rapidly to decarbonize and use less oil already.  

Edited by Yellow Fever

I'd just ban them from ever using oil or an oil based product for the rest of their lives and see how they get on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Yellow Fever said:

Herman - I can have sympathy with their views but just not their counterproductive means. It's a common trait among evangelcal zealots that always make the perfect the enemy of the good. We are moving quite rapidly to decarbonize and use less oil already.  

I'm probably more on your side than theirs to be honest but what I baulk at is Fen's idea that protests should be police controlled and therefore sanitised, making any protest irrelevant and easily ignored.

1 minute ago, Herman said:

I'm probably more on your side than theirs to be honest but what I baulk at is Fen's idea that protests should be police controlled and therefore sanitised, making any protest irrelevant and easily ignored.

There is proportionality. I think I've said that before somewhere. If you have 1000 or 10,000 people in a march then yes you can close roads etc. or go slow for a while. Ten people I don't think so!

PC Plod usually (not always) gets it about right. Patience can wear thin though.

The guy at the snooker just to me looks a complete idiot  - but I suppose he brought JSO back into the news good or bad.

I tend to think you can get away with the odd non-harming  'spectacular' but don't make a habit of it.

25 minutes ago, Herman said:

Not knowing them personally I could be wide of the mark but maybe JSO also feel they have no other democratic way, having only one very small party with a similar viewpoint.

That’s even worse. If their view is a minority one then they have absolutely no right to damage the property of the majority in order to try and force through their point of view. They need to convince a majority their opinion is the correct one, not throw a tantrum and petulantly smash things because they’re not getting their own way 

6 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'm not stupid or selfish enough to own the sort of vehicle targeted 

How about if they’re protesting the use of child labour to mine the rare earth minerals used in ev batteries? Would your car be a fair target then?

14 minutes ago, Herman said:

By all means break the law if you think it improves exposure to your cause, however if you do you should expect to be punished and have to reimburse everybody for your actions? Why should all those people who have missed out on the evening session they paid to watch miss out just because you’ve thrown a tantrum and made a mess? And why should those that put on the tournament have to pay to replace the baize and lose out on television money because they now can’t hold the event?

Everyone has the right to protest, but not to cause harm or destroy property.......absolutely not.

I will just point out the irony of Just Stop Oil protestors, from the moment they get up to the clothes, the banners, the make up, any medical care, the watches, the transport.....everything they are using in daily life to protest against they are happy to use! Sorry but if they are that passionate then they need to never protest by using the byproducts of what they are protesting about! I bet those fighting for their life and receiving drugs are happy to have oil byproducts in all the equipment and medicine used....

Yes we need to change and the world is changing but by protesting these people are contributing to the oil problem with having plastic signs, plastic high vis  vests and I could go on and on.....it's funny how Oil Giants are more proactive in renewable movement than these protestors.

Without oil we wouldn't have a world we have now and technology would be decades behind, be thankful as bad as the challenges are now for the planet, the world would be a vastly poorer place without oil, you certainly wouldn't be on your mobile or tablet or computer chatting about on here!

• Like 1

Just to say, I'm working with companies involved in Aker's green tech and there's lots of others doing the same, with renewable tech such as tidal, wind farms, solar and heat source, then strides being made in hydrogen tech too, massive amounts of these big profits are being invested into a green future, but its taking time.

Home – Aker Carbon Capture

1 hour ago, Fen Canary said:

By all means break the law if you think it improves exposure to your cause, however if you do you should expect to be punished and have to reimburse everybody for your actions? Why should all those people who have missed out on the evening session they paid to watch miss out just because you’ve thrown a tantrum and made a mess? And why should those that put on the tournament have to pay to replace the baize and lose out on television money because they now can’t hold the event?

I think they know they are breaking the law and will face criminal sanctions. Some are even actively hoping for a jail sentence. 

3 hours ago, ricardo said:

I'd just ban them from ever using oil or an oil based product for the rest of their lives and see how they get on.

What about Essential Oils?

13 hours ago, ricardo said:

That's what they want.

A stop to issuing new fossil fuel licenses and a world where we are not depedent on fuels that are damaging the environment.

I'm sure where there is an alternative they are using that product but like the rest of us sometimes there is no choice and there should be.

• Thanks 1

It's a private event on private premises disrupted with an unwelcome intrustion and vandalism.

You hear the phrase 'it's a free country' banded around a lot in support of this sort of protest, but I wonder if people would be so supportive if that was extended to wandering in to their living room and throwing orange powder over the sofa and carpets.

They're p*ssy protestors. Let's target something proper. Let's target Downing Street - or maybe China - or airports, or perhaps the 1% richest and their streets. 

Let's not make ordinary people think you're a bunch of tw*ts. I could get behind one of the above.

8 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Whilst I respect these people (not the way they're going about it. As much as I love Snooker, it's still very much a minority sport) for their protests, a few people protesting, here and there, will do very little. It'll do nothing, in fact. 

The richest 1% bag nearly twice as much wealth as the rest of the world put together.

With that in mind, human beings have murdered Earth through greed.

There's no other word for it.

If the Earth's wealth was distributed evenly, this world could be Eden. But instead, there's people being homeless, there's people dying through hunger and through droughts and disease, etc.

And because of climate change, thr next few generations of Human Beings are screwed.

This world has been made into a hell by the wealthy few.

If the majority had any brains they would band together and crush the establishment. But they don't.

I'll care more about the environment and the earth when all the rich and powerful who are telling us to stop doing this and to stop doing that give up on flying everywhere in their private jets and living in their mansions

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

8 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Whilst I respect these people (not the way they're going about it. As much as I love Snooker, it's still very much a minority sport) for their protests, a few people protesting, here and there, will do very little. It'll do nothing, in fact. 

The richest 1% bag nearly twice as much wealth as the rest of the world put together.

With that in mind, human beings have murdered Earth through greed.

There's no other word for it.

If the Earth's wealth was distributed evenly, this world could be Eden. But instead, there's people being homeless, there's people dying through hunger and through droughts and disease, etc.

And because of climate change, thr next few generations of Human Beings are screwed.

This world has been made into a hell by the wealthy few.

If the majority had any brains they would band together and crush the establishment. But they don't.

Indeed, but while we have 8.5 billion and rising population with technology you'll never have this Eden you talk off. It's not just the richest its everyone including you who no doubt still massively contribute to global warming, buying and using lots of hydrocarbon based products and contributing to the 1% wealthy by buying and using their products including TV programs, buying iphone, using bing, microsoft etc....... Unfotunately its the nature of humanity and those protesting aren't contributing anything, everyone knows what's needed, I've been involved in carbon capture projects, there's a brilliant company cleaning up plastic from the oceans founded by a young man who is making a difference and lots more going on.....if they really want to protest and do something more proactive to gain a better image then get out cleaning plastic from the beaches and other positive eco based protests, not disrupting traffic causing more carbon and potential problems for every normal person.#

The only way to change the situation globally is that every single person cuts back on energy use, goes greener and does there bit....I bet most protestors don't even do this.

31 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Rip out all the cryo chambers, Logan's Run for the over 70s and stop all science for 50 years. Should fix it.

Well KG science is moving towards much longer life span, even areas looking to reverse aging, can you imagine adding 70 years to a lifespan so people live to over 140, given that 70 years ago there were only around 3 billion on this planet! 

32 minutes ago, Indy said:

Well KG science is moving towards much longer life span, even areas looking to reverse aging, can you imagine adding 70 years to a lifespan so people live to over 140, given that 70 years ago there were only around 3 billion on this planet! 

Exactly. 

2 hours ago, Indy said:

Only for people who can afford it.

49 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Only for people who can afford it.

Very true, I'll be long gone.... 🤣