Sign in to follow this  
A Load of Squit

Greta

12 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I knew nothing about this 'character' until the Twitter exchange yesterday. What an absolute a.rsehole of a human being.

Along with the likes of Lawrence Fox I see their names trending and automatically know they've been ******. I'm not sure what they get out of it other than infamy. Sad lives really.

• Like 2

An example of the specimen's odiousness:

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/andrew-tate-arrested-romania-human-trafficking-us-embassy/

In one YouTube video, Tate described himself as “absolutely a misogynist”.

He said: “I’m a realist and when you’re a realist you’re sexist. There’s no way you can be rooted in reality and not be sexist.”

In another clip he said: “I will state right now that I am absolutely sexist, I am absolutely a misogynist and I have f*** you money so I’ll say what I want. […] There is no way you can be rooted in reality and not be sexist.”

I'm looking forward to his tweets from a Romanian gaol. Perhaps he will let us know what a day in the life of a "realist" is like as the "b*itch" of a Romanian gangster.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Herman said:

Along with the likes of Lawrence Fox I see their names trending and automatically know they've been ******. I'm not sure what they get out of it other than infamy. Sad lives really.

Indeed! It's as if they took Wilde's ironic quip, "There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about" as a literal recommendation for notoriety.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I knew nothing about this 'character' until the Twitter exchange yesterday. What an absolute a.rsehole of a human being.

Worryingly ALOT of the lads at my school think he is the second coming of christ and his views are perfectly fine, he's just misunderstood. School is in a deprived area, working class lads and this is what they are exposed to online and think is brilliant. He's massively popular with teenage boys. VERY worrying.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Worryingly ALOT of the lads at my school think he is the second coming of christ and his views are perfectly fine, he's just misunderstood. School is in a deprived area, working class lads and this is what they are exposed to online and think is brilliant. He's massively popular with teenage boys. VERY worrying.

He's a one man case for why social media is a bad thing. Pre twitter/insta etc he's a total nobody.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kick it off said:

It's a natural extension of grievance-based identity politics that someone would rise to the top representing lower-educated, underprivileged, white working class kids who aren't perceived as being of interest to the left given how their challenges are ignored. Their exclusion from most progressive narratives has left this influential group open to persuasion by the right.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

It's a natural extension of grievance-based identity politics that someone would rise to the top representing lower-educated, underprivileged, white working class kids who aren't perceived as being of interest to the left given how their challenges are ignored. Their exclusion from most progressive narratives has left this influential group open to persuasion by the right.

Anyone playing RWNJ bingo can tick off this square.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Anyone playing RWNJ bingo can tick off this square.

It's always somebody else's fault. 

10 minutes ago, Herman said:

It's always somebody else's fault. 

Take it or leave it. Strikes me as a bit daft to be simultaneously worried about the influence of people like this and dismissive of why they command the influence they do though.

9 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Take it or leave it. Strikes me as a bit daft to be simultaneously worried about the influence of people like this and dismissive of why they command the influence they do though.

They offer easy answers to complex questions. That's all they do and always will. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Herman said:

They offer easy answers to complex questions. That's all they do and always will. 

And those with the easy answers will get elected again and again unless those who claim to have the right but complicated answers work hard to actually deliver for the whole population rather than focussing on fashionable minorities.

4 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

And those with the easy answers will get elected again and again unless those who claim to have the right but complicated answers work hard to actually deliver for the whole population rather than focussing on fashionable minorities.

Fashionable minorities like women? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

Fashionable minorities like women? 

Feminism isn't that fashionable though really, is it? In fact, feminism itself has been somewhat torn up and some feminists themselves have come under attack in favour of the more fashionable, and very fringe, issue of transgender rights.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

2 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

And your evidence for this is what? You're falling for the utterly disingenuous right-wing distraction tactic of claiming that those who raise issues about race equality (etc) must de facto be ignoring the claims of the white working class. It is nothing more than far right wing recruiting propaganda to pretend that there has to be some kind of war between the needs of various under privileged groups, that there is only so much social justice to go round, and that white under privileged kids aren't getting their fair share because middle class lefty do-gooders are only interested in ethnic minorities. There are huge numbers of groups campaigning on issues that affect white working class kids. For example, the many groups acting on poverty do not distinguish between the needs of the poor on any kind of racial or ethnic ground. When Marcus Rashford began his campaign for free school meals I don't remember him saying that white kids were to be excluded. When education charities enter schools to help children with reading or learning difficulties they do not exclude white kids from that help. 

The problem is not that the needs of white working class kids are being ignored. The problem is that they are being preyed upon by disgusting right wing racists who tell them that their impoverished situation is being caused by the attention given to other ethnic minorities. It is a (racist) divide and rule tactic used by the unscrupulous as old as civilisation itself: "It's not those in power who are responsible for your plight, it's that group over there who are stealing what is rightly yours". So Hitler blamed the Jews for the poverty of the German working class, and right wingers blame lefty do-gooders for the impoverishment of white working class kids in modern day Britain. Strange, because I've yet to meet a lefty do-gooder who doesn't want social justice for white working class kids as much as they want it for any other under privileged child of whatever identity.

All underprivileged kids deserve social justice. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Herman said:

To be fair to LYB - I don't think he is arguing in favour of them, just saying that if the issues of this group are never addressed by political discourse then they are a fertile breeding ground for alternative viewpoints. He's not wrong in that regard.

The problem here is conflating it with left and right wings of politics. These are communities (at least in my area - Nottinghamshire) that were largely left behind by Thatcher shutting the mines and everybody since then on both sides of the fence has totally ignored.

That's why you get so much traction in these areas for UKIP, and idiots like Lee Anderson and his ilk. They aren't interested in Westminster, they're interested in people who look like them, and sound like them and tell them what they want to hear, because there is a fundamnetal distrust of all politicians who have done FA for these communities for more than a generation. Dennis Skinner is another example on the other side of the divide - demographics of his constituency were almost identical to Lee Anderson's and about 10/15 miles separated geographically - people in these communities aren't interested in political nuances and intricacies of policy,.... it's not about left and right, its about communities being left behind and looking for personalities rather than policies.

Andrew Tate and his popularity in these communities is a symptom of a wider malaise, and LYB was righ in that respect. Blaming it on the left and identity politics, when the Tories have been in charge for the vast majority of the last 40 years is where his argument falls down.

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Feminism isn't that fashionable though really, is it? In fact, feminism itself has been somewhat torn up and some feminists themselves have come under attack in favour of the more fashionable, and very fringe, issue of transgender rights.

This is not about feminism. This is about misogyny and extreme sexism. Maybe ask why teenage boys are attracted to people like Tate. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, horsefly said:

And your evidence for this is what? You're falling for the utterly disingenuous right-wing distraction tactic of claiming that those who raise issues about race equality (etc) must de facto be ignoring the claims of the white working class. It is nothing more than far right wing recruiting propaganda to pretend that there has to be some kind of war between the needs of various under privileged groups, that there is only so much social justice to go round, and that white under privileged kids aren't getting their fair share because middle class lefty do-gooders are only interested in ethnic minorities. There are huge numbers of groups campaigning on issues that affect white working class kids. For example, the many groups acting on poverty do not distinguish between the needs of the poor on any kind of racial or ethnic ground. When Marcus Rashford began his campaign for free school meals I don't remember him saying that white kids were to be excluded. When education charities enter schools to help children with reading or learning difficulties they do not exclude white kids from that help. 

The problem is not that the needs of white working class kids are being ignored. The problem is that they are being preyed upon by disgusting right wing racists who tell them that their impoverished situation is being caused by the attention given to other ethnic minorities. It is a (racist) divide and rule tactic used by the unscrupulous as old as civilisation itself: "It's not those in power who are responsible for your plight, it's that group over there who are stealing what is rightly yours". So Hitler blamed the Jews for the poverty of the German working class, and right wingers blame lefty do-gooders for the impoverishment of white working class kids in modern day Britain. Strange, because I've yet to meet a lefty do-gooder who doesn't want social justice for white working class kids as much as they want it for any other under privileged child of whatever identity.

You're bang on here, the problem is the poverty of so many of our communities, and their insular nature which comes from decades of abandonment. This is what is being exploited by the far right, and I totally agree about the obfuscation and subterfuge employed to turn it into a dividing mechanism for society. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, horsefly said:

This, in spades. The next government, whoever it is, would do well to underpin social policy on the above. 

Very insightful Horsefly, I can only imagine those disagreeing with it, are also rather fond of old Vlad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Summa summarum, the powers that be depend on turning enough people to kick/focus down rather than up.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

This, in spades. The next government, whoever it is, would do well to underpin social policy on the above. 

Very insightful Horsefly, I can only imagine those disagreeing with it, are also rather fond of old Vlad.

The people who support Vlad love the sort of denial on display here that leaves them such big sections of the population to exploit.

I'm clearly wrong. The left is clearly representing the underprivileged white working class fantastically and they're all on board. KIO must be mistaken about the kids at his school.

1 minute ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

The people who support Vlad love the sort of denial on display here that leaves them such big sections of the population to exploit.

I'm clearly wrong. The left is clearly representing the underprivileged white working class fantastically and they're all on board. KIO must be mistaken about the kids at his school.

Not sure I get this? I will qualify this by saying I haven't read that many of your posts TBH, so maybe you can enlighten me to what it is that you are wrong about? NO SARC btw.

What I will add though, is that any government will have to engage the young from all backgrounds. Far too many are sucked in by the likes of Tate and others, and to them, their word is gospel.

7 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Those kids at a school have grown up with Tory governments, I expect if you ask them they won't tell you it's the left's fault, they'll tell you it's those in charge.

You're the one blaming the left.

3 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Those kids at a school have grown up with Tory governments, I expect if you ask them they won't tell you it's the left's fault, they'll tell you it's those in charge.

You're the one blaming the left.

You do realise that my observation was a response to KIOs observation that underprivileged white kids were buying these sort of narratives over progressive ideas? Most other kids outside this group also grew up under Tory governments, but they're mostly on board with progressive narratives. If you've got a better explanation for why this group stands out in contrast to the rest of this age group then go for it.