Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Worse signings than Rashica, Sargent and Tzolis

39 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Guys, guys! You were supposed to name other clubs worse signings!

Andy Marshall to Ipswich town?

7 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Guys, guys! You were supposed to name other clubs worse signings!

That’s the worst and most depressing part, I don’t think you can - collectively.

I’m sure you can grant us the odd single signing here and there, but can anyone name 3 signings made in one transfer window, all for in and around the buying club’s record for transfer fees, all performing that poorly individually? I guess Man United have spent some high fees (relatively to their size) on players of late who have been pretty disastrous. Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo promised so much but the team regressed massively last season (yes I know Ronaldo did well individually). That doesn’t make me feel any better though tbh.

I’m also doubtful of the RST signings’ abilities in the level below (not just because of yesterday but because of how little they offered in the PL), I worry that the business will look even worse come the end of this season.… holding out hope that Tzolis will come good in his loan as Rashica and Sargent won’t be afforded time or new signing ££££ selection preferences this season; potentially falling down the pecking order once Sara and Dowell are fit if they can’t get going (Cantwell moved to the left).

If money has previously been pissed up the wall then that last window was money projectile sharted from a great height.

5 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

That’s the worst and most depressing part, I don’t think you can - collectively.

I’m sure you can grant us the odd single signing here and there, but can anyone name 3 signings made in one transfer window, all for in and around the buying club’s record for transfer fees, all performing that poorly individually? I guess Man United have spent some high fees (relatively to their size) on players of late who have been pretty disastrous. Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo promised so much but the team regressed massively last season (yes I know Ronaldo did well individually). That doesn’t make me feel any better though tbh.

I’m also doubtful of the RST signings’ abilities in the level below (not just because of yesterday but because of how little they offered in the PL), I worry that the business will look even worse come the end of this season.… holding out hope that Tzolis will come good in his loan as Rashica and Sargent won’t be afforded time or new signing ££££ selection preferences this season; potentially falling down the pecking order once Sara and Dowell are fit if they can’t get going (Cantwell moved to the left).

If money has previously been pissed up the wall then that last window was money projectile sharted from a great height.

It would be an intersting question to pose on other clubs' forums.

Who would you name as your worst ever signing? 

Have you ever signed 3 players at relative great expense for your club who have been abject failures - all three of them.

When you think about it, the sad fact is that basically every player the club have signed for £5M plus has flopped. We did recoup the money for both Brady and Pritchard and Gibson and Giannoulis are still potentially decent. But the rest of the list makes sorry reading. Perhaps we should stick to youth prospects and rejects from second tier foreign leagues? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Yellow Wal said:

Unfortunately Rashica Sargent and Tzolis are the types of 'tools' that Smith was given to work with.

True - and you can attribute some of the blame for that to the 'God' Farke who had the final 'Yes / No' decision on them and hyped up the boy Tzolis to high heaven! 

5 hours ago, Petriix said:

When you think about it, the sad fact is that basically every player the club have signed for £5M plus has flopped. We did recoup the money for both Brady and Pritchard and Gibson and Giannoulis are still potentially decent. But the rest of the list makes sorry reading. Perhaps we should stick to youth prospects and rejects from second tier foreign leagues? 

Suppose you could argue that we've only ever really been in a position to spend that kind of money when we've been in the top flight, and therefore these signings are attempts to bridge the gulf in class with players other top flight clubs arent interested in, so they are much more 'priced-in' to fail, than when we make cheaper signings where the stakes arent so high

Van wolfsvinkel was a bit like Billy Gilmour in that he was never going to suit our style of play under Hughton. Mind you if Snodgrass hadn't taken that Penalty off him who knows ....