Sign in to follow this  
GodlyOtsemobor

Ins and outs..

1 hour ago, Ken Hairy said:

Gibson won't go, and easily good enough for this level, however will need improving on should we get back up. 

Charlie Cresswell on his way on loan from Leeds. Omo  Hanley, gibbo, Cresswell and Tompkinson for CH. That'll do for me. 3 at back or 4 we will be covered

Leeds want regular game time for Cresswell so I can't see him being at CR next season just to provide cover for Hanley and Gibson.

1 minute ago, DraytonBoy said:

Leeds want regular game time for Cresswell so I can't see him being at CR next season just to provide cover for Hanley and Gibson.

I think it would be more like cover for Hanley and Omobamidele.

I think we're probably OK with Hanley, Omobamidele and Gibson as our main centre backs with Zimmermann as backup, unless Smith wants to use three at the back on occasion which would see us needing another body.

1 hour ago, Ken Hairy said:

Gibson won't go, and easily good enough for this level, however will need improving on should we get back up. 

Apply that same logic to McLean, Dowell, Sargent, Lees-Melou, Giannoulis and Hayden and it’s going to be a very expensive next summer if we get promoted.    Not a sustainable approach in my opinion but seems like they are ploughing on regardless.   Time for youth!

4 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Apply that same logic to McLean, Dowell, Sargent, Lees-Melou, Giannoulis and Hayden and it’s going to be a very expensive next summer if we get promoted.    Not a sustainable approach in my opinion but seems like they are ploughing on regardless.   Time for youth!

I think that's always the case with the top Championship clubs. Generally speaking, they will have a very good squad for this division but would need to improve half the first XI upon promotion.

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I think that's always the case with the top Championship clubs. Generally speaking, they will have a very good squad for this division but would need to improve half the first XI upon promotion.

There are glaring differences however…. other clubs generally splash lots more cash and try to sign players who can hit the ground running!   

6 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Also, we wouldn't need to replace Hayden. He has played over half of Newcastles matches in the Premier League since he arrived there, which of course they've stayed up in.

Dowell, Sargent and Lees Melou all have the opportunity to improve due to age / getting used to English football. Whilst likely it isn't guaranteed that they all NEED replacing.

Staying up the first season normally means having one or two genuine Premier League quality players, some top championship players who over-perform, a coach who gets a bit extra out of his side and a huge slice of luck. No one comes into the Prem typically with a squad full of Premier League quality players.

Edited by hogesar
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

According to Wikipedia, he's 1.9m, though, so that'll have Smith creaming himself.

Ok, here's what I would do if I were Norwich. Note this is entirely fantasy football, although are players I think could be realistic. 

Ins
Hayden
Creative, athletic CM - Jacob Ramsey on loan from Villa. This is ambitious, to say the least. However, Villa have a wealth of talent in midfield and they may jump at the chance to see one of their biggest talents go out on loan. I can see Premier League sides being interested, but in Dean Smith we may have a trump card. If this is too ambitious, I would also be in for Carney Chukwuemeka who I think would provide huge entertainment not only on the field but on canary call afterwards, but has been the sort of energetic, dynamic midfielder in England U19s that we have lacked. 
Winger - Another loan to buy, this time El Ghazi from Aston Villa. Played a key role in Dean Smith's resurgence of Villa in the Championship, contributing 12 goal contributions that season. I think he'd be a good replacement for Rashica. Again, some might consider this ambitious, but I would disagree. He did very little for Everton in the Premier League, is not exactly pulling up trees and may accept a drop in level to get his career back on track. 

I would actually keep Hugill, Sinani and McCallum in the squad. 

Outs - these are less fantasy and more what I think will happen. 
Onel
Cantwell
Placheta
Tzolis
Rashica
Aarons
Rowe (loan)

Leaving, for me, our squad as;

GK - Krul, Gunn, McGovern
DR - Byram, Mumba
DL - Dimi, McCallum
DC - Hanley, Omo, Gibson, Zimmermann (further cover provided by Byram and Sorenson)
DM - Hayden, Sorenson
MC - PLM, Chukwuemeka/Ramsey, McLean, Liam Gibbs brought up into the squad to bring competition
Wide: El Ghazi, Dowell, Sinani, Springett (Sargent also can play here)
Str: Pukki, Idah, Sargent, Hugill 

Team:

Krul
Byram Hanley Omo Dimi
Hayden
PLM Ramsey
El Ghazi          Dowell
Pukki 

or 

Gunn

Byram Hanley Omo Dimi 

Hayden Ramsey

El Ghazi               Dowell

Idah Pukki 

or (my preference)

Krul 

Byram Hanley Omo

El Ghazi (wing back)  Ramsey Hayden Dimi (wing back)

Sargent Pukki Idah 

Edited by Terminally Yellow

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Also, we wouldn't need to replace Hayden. He has played over half of Newcastles matches in the Premier League since he arrived there, which of course they've stayed up in.

Dowell, Sargent and Lees Melou all have the opportunity to improve due to age / getting used to English football. Whilst likely it isn't guaranteed that they all NEED replacing.

Staying up the first season normally means having one or two genuine Premier League quality players, some top championship players who over-perform, a coach who gets a bit extra out of his side and a huge slice of luck. No one comes into the Prem typically with a squad full of Premier League quality players.

I completely agree with all of that. 

But the point is, even the best Championship sides would get relegated comfortably if they kept the exact same squad, and half of them get relegated anyway despite strengthening.

Every side that gets promoted needs to bring in at least two or three quality players to genuinely improve the starting XI.

Over recent years, the two teams to disprove this slightly have been Sheffield United and Brentford who only signed a couple of players each that turned out to be regular starters. And in the case of Sheffield United, it was just a honeymoon period and they got found out the year after.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canarycop said:

Charlie Cresswell on his way on loan from Leeds. Omo  Hanley, gibbo, Cresswell and Tompkinson for CH. That'll do for me. 3 at back or 4 we will be covered

Decent enough if it would be with a permanent option. 

1 hour ago, canarybubbles said:

According to Wikipedia, he's 1.9m, though, so that'll have Smith creaming himself.

On what basis? Your made up, lacking in substance, essential lies about Smith?

1 hour ago, canarycop said:

Never heard of him in all honesty, is he any good? Chance of a permanent deal? I'd rather us blood our own than other clubs this season to be honest, last thing we need is another Gilmour situation. 

1 hour ago, ged in the onion bag said:

I don't disagree.