Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Elon Musk has bought Twitter

God, this horrible invention of “Social Media” is never going to die isn’t it? :(. Life was so much better before it came along.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KernowCanary said:

God, this horrible invention of “Social Media” is never going to die isn’t it? :(. Life was so much better before it came along.

Social media is the friendly face of data mining and manipulation of people's thought processes to achieve the ends of the highest bidder; it's a tool for hacking people's thoughts and behaviour en masse. 

Tim Berners-Lee has developed a personal data ownership platform called Solid, which is aimed at giving internet users ownership of their own data online that they can grant and revoke access to at will where compatible platforms do not actually store any user data themselves. It seems to me that a platform as large as Twitter going this way would be massive. No idea if this is what Musk is thinking, but the guy seems to be a free-thinking libertarian at heart so I do wonder. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Thanks 1

Awful website full of idiots “reacting” to recent events in soaps, leading to a brainless idiot of a journalist to search for example “Eastenders” and then embed the tweets of their choice into a report, with the seemingly compulsive and annoying phrase “Fans took to Twitter” before going ahead with the quotes. Then these idiots get all trippy because their tweet was featured. There was even a report about people complaining on there about the sound quality on A Place in the Sun!. What makes these morons think that’s newsworthy!?.

It’s the same all the time and nobody has picked up on how annoying it is. The “SM” tool itself is just one huge status update, while everything you post can be seen by everyone, which just sucks.

Its the worse of the “SM” sites I think. When all this started it was perfectly harmless with MySpace and Bebo, but now it’s one of life’s demons. Don’t even get me started on the annoying phrases it’s created like “Karen” and “Stacey” to insult someone, let alone the racism problems that the companies do diddly squat to prevent.

Shut them down I say, but there’s too much money involved.

Edited by KernowCanary
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Interesting that so many lefties are upset that Elon Musk promises to allow free speech on Twitter

What isn't remotely interesting is that you find that interesting.

It's amusing that all these right wingers are on every platform whining about their lack of free speech.

• Like 3

Don’t tell me the latest phrase on the media street being “Vampire Device” is social media driven.

In the meantime, let’s all “Take to Twitter” and moan about our team’s season, while hoping some local media website will find our “Tweets” and feature them on their latest Norwich City report!.

Really does sound pathetic reading that back, and that’s was “SM” is…. pathetic.

Edited by KernowCanary

It's starting to look all fur and no knickers this buy out. Musk is very rich but it looks like most of his money is tied up in other companies who are beholden to large shareholders and other entities. This may still happen but looking less likely by the day.

I think Musk made a fair point in describing Twitter as 'the de facto town square' of the digital political world. The fundamental issue with Twitter censoring anything on Twitter is that it's a private company that's accountable to nobody dictating who may or may not say something. Once you've established that it's okay in principle for the company to act like that at all then that's a lot of power in Twitter's hands that it can wield however he likes, which is harmful to democracy. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

6 hours ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

I shall never join twatter.

There are now a few relieved users.......