Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Everton

I nearly didn't make it today having strained a muscle during the week but I had a little practice on the bike and in the end decided to give it a go. Conditions were perfect for a decent game with hardly a breath of wind and with the visitors struggling for form I had the feeling it might be worth the effort. With Kenny on the sick list it was good to see Sorensen given a run out and with Sargent and Idah starting there was at least the prospect of some physical support fot Pukki.

The opening minutes were quite encouraging with City having some good possession but it was mostly midfield stuff until PLM finally tested Pickford with a low shot that was comfortably saved. Gray was giving Aarons a problem down the Everton left but Krul had his angles covered when the shot came in from a narrow angle. There was plenty of strong running from Sargent and Idah and just after the quarter hour it paid off with City doing something they have found very difficult this season by taking the lead. Rashica carried the ball across the centre of the pitch and after interplay between Aarons and Sargent it was the latter who whipped a low cross in from the right that came off Keane and left Pickford stranded.

I was almost tempted to take advantage of the stoppage to nip out for a wee but I'm glad I didn't because virtually from the restart Williams intercepted a through ball and set off into empty space down the City left. With defenders converging on him he played a superb low pass into the area for Idah to latch onto and poke the ball past the advancing Everton keeper for two nil. Eight goals in half a season then two in a minute, it was pandemonium at our end as the ball hit the back of the net.

I was now thinking we needed to hold this until halftime and  despite quite a bit of Everton pressure with corners and free kicks they managed the rest of the half with a certain degree of comfort as Tim Krul was rarely stretched into anything out of the ordinary.

It was nice to have a halftime not filled with doom and gloom but although the visitors had rarely threatened, the City midfield had covered a lot of ground and expended a lot of energy in keeping things tight.

I expected them to come at us as the second half began but it was the home side that almost struck another early blow. Idah earned a corner and when the ball was headed clear it fell nicely for PLM to volley from twenty yards. Unfortunately it was straight down the keepers throat. A minute later a poor everton back pass left Idah with only Pickford to beat but to the England keepers credit he was off his line like lightening and the chance came to nothing.

The visitors were now having the bulk of possession and when Richarlison came on for Rondon on 55 minutes it added a touch of class and they began to look much more dangerous. On the hour a corner was headed clear but City couldn't complete the clearance and Richarlisons overhead kick gave Tim no chance. It was a different ball game now and it took a while for the crowd to whip up the noise and drive the boys on again.

With lots of defending to do and some great blocks and tackles going in it was no surprise when first Williams and then Aarons had to limp off with what looked like leg injurues,. Thankfully both Byram and Giannoulis were able replacements as City fought hard to hold on to the lead as the minutes ticked away. Hanley was a rock in the middle as Everton banged the ball up to Richarlison and although many were now running on empty the City defence still managed to prevent the visitors from gaining a clear opening.

There was an audible groan when seven minutes added time was signalled and I seemed to be checking my watch every fifteen seconds. There was some good running the ball into the corners from Idah and Pukki and the usual amount of Tim ****housery that did its job in winding up the visitors but in the final seconds it was City who had the big chance. Rashica broke clear on the halfway line and made tracks goalward. Teemu, whose legs had gone struggled to give an option down the middle but it was the winger who nearly went all the way as his low shot flicked off the outside of the post and out of play with Pickford beaten.

Thankfully Andy Madely had seen enough and took mercy on those with weak tickers as the final whistle was greeted with rapture and relief. In many ways they might not be good enough but they fought until they dropped today and nobody can ask for more than that.

Adam Idah my MOM, good goal, never stopped running and gave the front line a measure of physicality that has so often been missing this term. To be honest every man a hero today in a game that was on a knife edge. If you didn't get your moneys worth today you are never going to be satisfied. I shall be enjoying a small dram tonight.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 17

Exactly this. If we're not good enough over 38 games, then fine - but for heaven's sake, let's not lose wondering why.

10 minutes ago, ricardo said:

In many ways they might not be good enough but they fought until they dropped today and nobody can ask for more than that

I think that's all most people ask. And to be fair, that's been the case in most games under Smith when we've not been decimated with covid/injuries.

Great report as always Ricardo.

• Thanks 1

The 7 minutes added time really bugged me. We know for a fact from the Crystal palace game that refs just make it all up and don't actually count when the game is stopped, that was for the cameras to give the game an exciting finish for the neutrals, I'm surprised it didn't get a bigger groan from the crowd because that should have been 5 tops

Cheers Ricardo. Amazing what a win does for the attitude. If we can somehow find another 3 points next Friday, we're right back in the mix. Idah probably gets the nod but I thought Hanley ran him close. A captain's performance. And Williams provides that bit of needle that's needed. Bit concerned about Aarons being helped off & Krul looked in a bit of discomfort with the shoulder but hopefully things aren't too bad there. OTBC!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

Cheers Ricardo. Amazing what a win does for the attitude. If we can somehow find another 3 points next Friday, we're right back in the mix. Idah probably gets the nod but I thought Hanley ran him close. A captain's performance. And Williams provides that bit of needle that's needed. Bit concerned about Aarons being helped off & Krul looked in a bit of discomfort with the shoulder but hopefully things aren't too bad there. OTBC!

Yes its the hope that gets you. I accepted that we aren't good enough long ago but there's several in that class this years so at the very least it gives us a reason to fight on.

Some of ours had nothing left to give when that final whistle blew but I bet they felt good and they fully deserved the applause at the end. Sometimes we boo but its a whole lot better on a day like this. This is why after nearly seventy years I keep coming back for more.

Oh a😉nd kicking toward the River End second half has always been the best option

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

and the usual amount of Tim ****housery that did its job in winding up the visitors

If I was an opposing fan I would have been well pissed off, but I love Tim's passion to win by any means. 

We have it done to us and it's all part of football. He knows how to play the game so to speak 

Edit - I loved the added touch of not being able to take the goal kick because of his arm. Brilliant.

Edited by Chelm Canary

Thanks Ricardo - great to relive the game and the tension - great report as always!

I thought it was very brave of Smith to play so many attackers, but it worked! Much praise die to Sorenson and PLM as well as the others who have been frequently mentioned - very much a makeshift midfield two but did really well I thought.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Thanks Ricardo - great to relive the game and the tension - great report as always!

I thought it was very brave of Smith to play so many attackers, but it worked! Much praise die to Sorenson and PLM as well as the others who have been frequently mentioned - very much a makeshift midfield two but did really well I thought.

If we had Normann back I would be a lot more confident of giving it a go. Hopefully Aarons, Williams and Kruls knocks today aren't  too serious.

• Like 1

Its one game at a time Ricardo.Its a cliche but true. We did well today and as you say they kept at it. Lets just rejoice with this one which is all we can do and look forward to giving it another go against Watford. Its important that we keep that intensity and I just hope the injured boys are OK because both of them gave it back to Everton after they had early problems with Gray and Gordon.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Enjoyed reading that Ricardo, next MOTD for the first time 2 months. 

At least we won't  be on MOTD next season.😉