Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Really seeing what Smith has brought to the party

42 minutes ago, Mengo said:

SaS are a good act .no thinking needed. The teams attitude is now spot on. The players believe now.they believe in this coaching  team. Can you tell me Lakey why the previous coaching team had no room for a class act like sorenson. Somebody has to have a reason can you shed any light on this unforgiving mistake from a football perspective?

Nope, have no reason. Farke hinted he needed to look a bit sharper in training at one point and that was maybe all there was to it - same probably with Vrancic and why he got less match time than he perhaps deserved. Now getting loads of playing time at Stoke.  Shame really, it is one of the few criticisms I had of Farke that maybe his insistence on 100% intensity in training may not have helped one or two of our players.

Its day and night. 

Not sure why people have a love afair with Farke but he was just hot garbage. I started following Norwich because of Tzolis and so i dont come with a biased opinion. The decision Farke was making off and on the pitch were just mind buggling for this level. His formations were abyssimal. The players looked lost out there because they had no proper direction and proper support for neither attack or deffense. 

Smith has brought some very much needed stability and this is why the team looks so competitive. The players are the same, just the tactics and culture changed in the dressing room.

Norwich will be a mid class team by the end of the season.  

2 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

I am more optimistic hence why I said it feels more positive. My point was that I think the recruitment has been poor and that will be our undoing. Smith is undoubtedly a good manager and I'm happy with the way he sets us up, but I was also happy with Farke. Smith's first five games have the same points return as Farke's last five... they are/were both trying to polish the same turd Webber gave them.

I can't believe for one minute that webber just buys players and tells farke to get on with it. The two of them have sat down and agreed between  each other who they were going to buy. Its as simple as that. I feel the webber man is an opportunist not a brilliant class act that some posters seem to think . I also can't quite get my head round a four year contract being given as this was the second attempt at the PL.  If the SAS pull off a survival season ( and I hope they do). Its all down to them and them only in making the players believe in themselves

Players win the games not the coaches.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

I think we will look back in future years and think that the big mistake was ...we should have bought a proven goal scorer and not relied on Pukki so much.

We couldn't afford to buy a proven goal scorer, so we rolled the dice with Drmic.

It was a 1.

I have to say i have been very impressed with Smith since his arrival. The team are much more organised and you can clearly see game plans in place to deal with opponents. As others have said if players had taken chances we’d be much higher in the league than our current position. 

i was surprised at the timing of the Farke dismissal but it seems that faith in Webber to do the right thing for the club is still 100% from me. He clearly recognised the manager was underperforming giving the recourse we had spent in the summer even with the loss of emi. Thus far under smith it seems the right call to of made and should we go down I have 100% confidence he would get us back too. 

It's clear as a day that Smith is a better coach than Farke at this level. I love Farke as much as the next City fan for what he did for the club and ultimately the city when he was here, but he is statistically one of the worst Premier League managers ever. I've just had a look at the all time managerial stats table, and if you only filter it to only allow managers who were at the helm for 25 matches or more, Farke is statistically the worst manager in PL history with a win percentage of 12%.

Even if you change it to managers at the helm for just 15 matches or more, he's the 4th worst manager in the league's history.

He simply didn't know how to coach at this level with the players we have. I have no doubt that if you gave Farke a solid upper mid-table PL side he would do well, but his style of football does not suit a team which is one of the least talented in the league they're in.

Under S&S You can see the work going into Sargeant.  He's getting better at using his size to back off into players and turn them.

Really hope he (Sarge) gets his mojo back in possession of the ball.  The way we're playing is simply night and day vs Farke, and to see him come good would be the icing on the cake.

Also like to mention how Smith came out ahead of this game saying that outside the top 3, all teams are beatable, the mindset is just a completely different level.  Same players are now looking genuine threats on set pieces, shows the coaching work being applied.

Farke was a very clever man, cool and composed, but he lacked experience and had weak & naïve backroom.  We no longer look pretenders, but alas it was a very steep hill that Farke left us to climb.

On 12/12/2021 at 10:23, FenwayFrank said:

Hughton was the same, every pre match interview was about how we were lucky to be on the same pitch as the opposition, as a player you don’t want to hear that every week.

Have a memory that the players said he was like this in the dressing room too - was it Russell Martin who said that in preparing to play West Brom, Hughton had them thinking they were up against Real Madrid.

Whilst the end result of points gained isnt much better Smith and co have raised the levels of performances to what i expected at the beginning of the season.

I can accept the  performances atm.

On 12/12/2021 at 11:39, hogesar said:

If you want to remove context from every single debate and argument that ever happens then sure.

Could you point out his other wins for me then please, I can't find them.

Face it, he was cack at Villa and no better here. He was a knee jerk reaction by Webber after sacking DF and a bad choice.