Sign in to follow this  
Icecream Snow

"The Championship is for Sale"

15 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

On the contrary, maybe our owners can also take time and historical stock and thank Mr Bowkett, Mr McNally and initially Mr Lambert for steadying the ship in the 1st division, followed by our successive promotions and including 3 years of being competitive in the 'Top Flight'  from 2011/14. Which alas only short term, also made NCFC sufficiently financially secure, stable and competitive in relative terms, therefore allowing our Majority Shareholding Duo (and Mr Foulger) the fortunate full repayment of their much appreciated loans to the club......  

Think I’ll stick with Hogesar on this one!   Funny how responsibility always rests with the owners, except in our case!   Who was it again that employed and agreed to pay Lambert and McNally’s wages?

Championship finances have been crazy for years but Covid has clearly ****ed them even more. 

Any sensible owner would see the need for salary caps but it just won't happen.

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

We got out of these financial problems, by our visits to the Premiership 

Much to the disgruntlement of the media and those that hang on their every word. 

1 hour ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Think I’ll stick with Hogesar on this one!   Funny how responsibility always rests with the owners, except in our case!   Who was it again that employed and agreed to pay Lambert and McNally’s wages?

Who said when at a gathering of London based Canary support just before the appointment of Lambert "We must get behind Bryan"?.....Who influenced a change of decision?.....

Anyway....we beg to differ so you stick with Hogesar....

The binners are talking of the huge sums they will earn in the Championship, and then the PL. They have been away for so long it seems a shame to tell them.

17 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Meanwhile Chelsea are tripling season ticket prices (£1200 to £3900). Very nice of the owners to put the club 1bn into debt and charge it's supporters double.  Good job the fans took ownership back when the ESL announcements came back eh?  

State of the game, fans should make a real stand against all this BS - no matter how big or successful their clubs are.

Chelsea have been pricing their fans out for a while now. Over 15 years ago I worked for an organisation that closed its London office and decanted its staff to Norwich. There were one or two Chelsea fans among the staff that moved to Norwich that I became friends with, who all felt that it was becoming extremely expensive to go to Stamford Bridge..........

18 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

There is hardly a stinking rich Chinese owner in the championship which largely accounts for the issues they are having

But there are lots of clubs in the Championship who are owned by people with a worth way in excess of our owners, but at the end of the season 21 of those clubs will still be in the Championship. Of the 24 clubs in the Championship I am guessing only Luton Town have owners less wealthy than ours.  The owners of Barnsley are reputed to be worth nine billion dollars (£6.6B) making them wealthier than the owners of Brentford, Brighton, Crystal Palace, Leicester City, Leeds Utd, Liverpool, Manchester Utd, Norwich City, Southampton, Spurs, Watford, West Ham and Wolves (marginally), but they are currently sitting second from bottom of the Championship (only because Derby County have had points deducted). There are owners in League 1 and League 2 that are wealthier than our owners, so maybe, just maybe a little credit should be given to a club that is financially well run, and still manages forays in the top tier of English football.............

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

But there are lots of clubs in the Championship who are owned by people with a worth way in excess of our owners, but at the end of the season 21 of those clubs will still be in the Championship. Of the 24 clubs in the Championship I am guessing only Luton Town have owners less wealthy than ours.  The owners of Barnsley are reputed to be worth nine billion dollars (£6.6B) making them wealthier than the owners of Brentford, Brighton, Crystal Palace, Leicester City, Leeds Utd, Liverpool, Manchester Utd, Norwich City, Southampton, Spurs, Watford, West Ham and Wolves (marginally), but they are currently sitting second from bottom of the Championship (only because Derby County have had points deducted). There are owners in League 1 and League 2 that are wealthier than our owners, so maybe, just maybe a little credit should be given to a club that is financially well run, and still manages forays in the top tier of English football.............

I've posted this before, but, in the wiki list there are only two clubs with owners wealth listed less than us, Shrewsbury and Carlisle. There are a fair few unlisted, many of whom will have lower net worth, but some are definitely far more and it is Wikipedia so pinch of salt, but still...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_owners_of_English_football_clubs

2 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Come on ged, you've been here long enough to know this by now, the owners are only responsible when things go wrong.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Chelsea have been pricing their fans out for a while now.

It seems that these bigger corporate funded clubs despise season ticket holders, they would rather have hospitality or resell the same seat to different person each game who spends a fortune in the club shop - almost like a tourist attraction.

Sadly, they will get their way, eventually.   While destroying the football pyramid as clubs like Derby continue trying to take a long jump into the pool, but land on their faces.

Just wish the footballing world would wake up really.  But then, if we had investors coming in like Newcastle I ask myself how I'd feel.  I couldn't turn my back on the club, and it would feel incredible to see us competing back in Europe and signing top players.  Would I really be prepared to protest against it once tasted?!

Which is why this needs to be stopped at a higher level, cause most of us are incredibly weak when the carrot is dangled.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Come on ged, you've been here long enough to know this by now, the owners are only responsible when things go wrong.

Come on Kernow, you've been here long enough to know this by now, the owners are infallible and are not responsible when things go wrong.....

• Like 1

Problem is that the bigger clubs keep becoming more ruthless and efficient, meaning it's very hard for the smaller clubs to find smart ways to make money.

Lewis Baker at Chelsea will be 27 at the end of the season, has never played for Chelsea, and his contract is due to expire at the end of the season. Historically players would be released or would look for another club at 20/21 if they weren't going to be a first team player. We aren't going to see a repeat of Danny Drinkwater, leaving a big club and getting a huge transfer fee a few years later.

Huddersfield and Brentford got rid of their academies. Brexit has closed the door on cheap foreign imports, and the emphasis on data driven recruitment means it's much harder to find a clever bargain.

People can talk about investment or rich owners, but clubs that get themselves into a mess, and keep losing money have no easy avenues to turn their fortunes around.

8 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

Who said when at a gathering of London based Canary support just before the appointment of Lambert "We must get behind Bryan"?.....Who influenced a change of decision?.....

Anyway....we beg to differ so you stick with Hogesar....

At that meeting on the Monday following the Colchester debacle the joint majority shareholders were asked if they had faith in the manager. They expressed their wholehearted support.

When asked the same question David McNally said, " It's a results based business ".

Bryan Gunn was sacked four days later.