Sign in to follow this  
Hardhouse44

Still missing a vital ingredient for survival.

4 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Under-rated classic! There’s something about the complete change of tone from cheekie cockney chappies to mournfulness that gets to me.

If we're going to use music to answer queries, then I'll lob this one tenderly into the mixer.

• Like 2

Yeah, kinda tired/bored/fed up with this "we need to sign a proven Premier League <insert position>".

Often it's a proven premier league striker. Only one moving for a fee within our budget this summer was Deeney. Sounds harsh doesn't it? It's true. Which proven premier league striker is going to cost south of £25m? Especially when decent Championship strikers are costing as much, or not far off it.

We don't need has beens. We don't need players looking for final pay-checks. We have done that over the years and it rarely works in our favour to be honest. Especially not long term, more than a year.

It's a weird, odd concept - as is this premier league experienced thing. Godfrey had one year which was a tad ropey at times if we're honest. He proved he could step up and had real potential so sold for a very decent amount.

@Jim Smith - leadehip. Our squad is full of players that have been or are captains. PLM - Captain of Nice. Hanley has been club captain for how many seasons now? Zimmermann was captain for his side before joining us. Then you have players like Pukki, Krul, McLean - who are all experienced pros, played internationally, including at tournaments (apart from poor old McLean), Sargent, Rashica, Giannoulis, Tzolis, Normann and Kabak are all internationals too, at least four are considered first choice too.

18 minutes ago, chicken said:

Yeah, kinda tired/bored/fed up with this "we need to sign a proven Premier League <insert position>".

Often it's a proven premier league striker. Only one moving for a fee within our budget this summer was Deeney. Sounds harsh doesn't it? It's true. Which proven premier league striker is going to cost south of £25m? Especially when decent Championship strikers are costing as much, or not far off it.

We don't need has beens. We don't need players looking for final pay-checks. We have done that over the years and it rarely works in our favour to be honest. Especially not long term, more than a year.

It's a weird, odd concept - as is this premier league experienced thing. Godfrey had one year which was a tad ropey at times if we're honest. He proved he could step up and had real potential so sold for a very decent amount.

@Jim Smith - leadehip. Our squad is full of players that have been or are captains. PLM - Captain of Nice. Hanley has been club captain for how many seasons now? Zimmermann was captain for his side before joining us. Then you have players like Pukki, Krul, McLean - who are all experienced pros, played internationally, including at tournaments (apart from poor old McLean), Sargent, Rashica, Giannoulis, Tzolis, Normann and Kabak are all internationals too, at least four are considered first choice too.

Wasn’t Sargent captain too? Or am I making that up? I’m sure one of our new signings was an unusually young captain.

14 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Wasn’t Sargent captain too? Or am I making that up? I’m sure one of our new signings was an unusually young captain.

Yeah, I think I heard that Sargent was captain at some point, or was it Lieutenant? 🤔

3 hours ago, chicken said:

It reminds me of certain current political movements that get everything they wanted, realise they're still not happy so move the goalposts to be able to carry on griping. It's all a bit tiresome. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Upo said:

"Knowing how to win" is a bit of an expression of magical thinking. You don't win by knowing. Kabak for example played for Liverpool and won a lot of matches. That should tell us that he was good enough to play for Liverpool. Not that he knew how to win.

Out of the probable regulars for this season, Max, Teemu, Todd, Tim, Kenny and Grant all have substantial PL experience under Farke and they were our best performers in 19/20. They also had very good 20/21 seasons. In fact, Teemu had an absolutely superb season with 30 goal involvements, and Grant took a huge step forward. Out of the best performers in 19/20 we're "only" missing Emi and Sam Byram. Adam, Lucas and Christoph are likely to feature in atleast some games and have PL experience under Farke.

Out of incomings Kabak did well in Liverpool. Most incomings have top tier league experience and have been standout performers in their respective clubs even if the clubs performed poorly.

If we wanted "winners" from PL, we'd have to triple our transfer and wage budget. 

It’s also belief. When you go on a good run you start to think you can win any game or score late winners. When on a bad run you start to think the worst is going to happen. Same applies with us fans! 

3 hours ago, chicken said:

Not saying it isn’t. Was just saying I think leadership and a bit of edge (plus belief as others have said) is as if not more important that premier league experience. 

11 minutes ago, Herman said:

It reminds me of certain current political movements that get everything they wanted, realise they're still not happy so move the goalposts to be able to carry on griping. It's all a bit tiresome. 

I’m not griping. The opposite if anything. 

The additions are all pretty average, who is that one talismanic player that you can look at that will rise us above relegation candidates. 

time will tell but I usually spot on regarding how our season will end and this one has nailed on relegation written all over it 

1 minute ago, Uncle Fred said:

The additions are all pretty average, who is that one talismanic player that you can look at that will rise us above relegation candidates. 

time will tell but I usually spot on regarding how our season will end and this one has nailed on relegation written all over it 

Were you a Happy Clapper in your younger years following City Fred? 

55 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Were you a Happy Clapper in your younger years following City Fred? 

Always happier at a funeral than a wedding 

On 31/08/2021 at 15:17, Hardhouse44 said:

Firstly well done to the board for securing the 2 signings over the last 2 day. They have clearly seen our need for strengthening those positions and rightly obtained what appears to be 2 players capable of playing there. 

I still fear we are missing a vital ingredient for survival and that is premiership experience. 
Just one or two players who know how to win enough in this league to survive who have decent premiership experience would I feel really increase our chances of staying up. 

If we’re all honest for a moment we know very little if not in many cases nothing about the players we’ve signed. We certainly don’t know there premiership capabilities. 
We are in effect rolling the dice. We don’t know really whether we will roll fives and sixes or a load of ones and twos. 
to keep that analogy going if only we could have picked up a premiership experienced 3 or 4 I feel we would be really much better placed. 
A player or 2 that can help the other guys new and old adapt to the premiership, even helping with game management something I feel Farke struggles with. 

I’m sure this will make me very unpopular but I don’t see a squad capable of surviving even with the new signings. Lack of knowledge of the players may be the reason for that but what I’ve seen so far we are under gunned, too green and a little disorganised. 

Will you be coughing up the 35 mill it costs to buy one average premier league striker? 

We have no means to buy experienced Prem players...well unless they're over the hill.