Sign in to follow this  
chicken

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Bournemouth (LC) *****

10 minutes ago, spencer 1970 said:

Sargent done so well on the 5th, read the keeper and put perfect power on the pass for tzolis to get onto, 6th he took with great composure 😜

3 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Sargent done so well on the 5th, read the keeper and put perfect power on the pass for tzolis to get onto, 6th he took with great composure 😜

"The Yank Grant Holt" with a dash of Gary Holt?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, spencer 1970 said:

"The Yank Grant Holt" with a dash of Gary Holt?

Haha and love this comment 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Samwam27 said:

How was Sorenson in the middle?

Excellent, as always looks very comfortable on the ball and always seems to have time

57 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

How was Gunny in goal, much to do?

Don’t recall them having a shot, he looked comfortable though 

Back from the match, a cracking night apart from the behaviour of the gang of 15 year olds in the lower Barclay, likely there rather than sat with their mum and dad in south stand like they probably normally do on match days, truly embarrassing… fairly certain ‘you wot, you wot’ isn’t a normal match day chant from the lower Barclay, one particularly unpleasant sexist chant being utter gutter worthy. Won’t bother on cup games in the future, like being stood amongst a high school trip out.  

Anyway, that aside, a great performance against a very lacklustre Bournemouth. Sure they weren’t very good, but it was still up to us to do our bit and I thought there were stand out players across the pitch. Sargent and Tzolis stole the show, however McClean, Zimmerman, Dowel, Mumba and Williams all did really well for me. 

We needed a response after Saturday and that should give everyone a lift before Saturday! 6-0 but I’d take a scrappy nasty 1-0 against the foxes.

Edited by birchfest
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mastoola said:

I'm surprised no one is mentioning Mumba    i thought he was brilliant

Agree with you 100%. If I was giving the MOTM award tonight I would have been seriously tempted to give it to him. 

• Like 1

After our first two games of the season this performance is a fantastic lift for the team and makes Farké's job more difficult which is exactly what we needed, let's hope we can take this and get a result against Leicester.

Back from the game and trying to let the buzz get out of my head. Was a great atmosphere in the upper Barclay even if we had only just over 20k in the ground. Reminded me of some of the games in the late '90's as a 16/17 year old when we were getting 16-17k at most, yet still rocking the ground, even if we lost!

Anyway, attempting some reasonable observations.

Gunn - had one save all night, a header from a player that had to shove Mumba into the ground to win, straight at him. Other than that, a very quiet game for him. His passing and long balls were accurate, at times clipping nice balls out to Mumba and Williams who were often in acres of space. Put a few long ones onto Sargent's head too. 

Mumba - some of the skill... wow. Just turning players with ease. Solid enough game, has a real turn of pace. Almost seems like he is toying with opposition attackers at times, letting them get level with him, or even a bit past him and then boom, off he goes and leaves them for dead. He's very nearly there, without me being able to put a finger on exactly what it is that makes me feel he is a little off Aarons yet. I would go with others in saying that he put in a very good performance.

Zimmerman - a rock. Of the two CB's on the night, by far the better, as you'd expect of a player with much experience. Calm, collected, lead well. Considering folks feel he is slow, he wasn't beaten for pace once that I can recall. And he did have a few foot races to win. He's strong and physical as ever. From what we could see, he got a yellow because the ref sympathised with Bournemouth for bouncing off him a lot. Pinged some lovely long range passes. Lots of praise but I don't expect him to dislodge Hanley or Gibson at this point in time.

Omobamidele - clearly a very talented youngster. Very calm though I feel at times, a little too calm. He played some hospital balls to Williams and against better opposition would have been punished for them. Needs to know when to just punt it to relieve pressure and when intricate passing is only good for so long if you play yourself into danger. Solid otherwise, quick, nothing really troubled him. I don't see him pushing Hanley or Gibson aside either, but like Zimmemann, he is enough of a unit to be able to push back.

Williams - quality. Considering he has only been with the squad for a couple of days he took to it like he had been around for months. AND considering both he and Tzolis (whoop whoop) had such a good understanding. Overlapping, underlapping... he was unlucky not to get on the score sheet himself. Very neat and tidy and he knows how to get tight to a player and ruffle some feathers. Very clever little player. Good passer, good mover and constantly looking to be open for the ball. He and Tzolis had the left hand side sewn up all night. A real dilemma for Farke here. I can see him starting Vs Leicester. He certainly has a shout for it that's for sure.

McLean - At this point I think it's important to point out that you could name two or three men of the match. McLean is one. Absolutely on fire, stood out head and shoulders, popping up all over the pitch defensively and in forward positions, tackling, passing - always on the move. If he doesn't start Vs Leicester I'll eat Farke's coat. He looks stronger too, really bustled hard and kept the others gee'd up.

Rupp - solid if unspectacular. He seemed to do more of the mopping up but was instrumental to our passing and moving and played some very good balls. I think I can see why people mistakenly don't rate him, he sort of has a quiet way of going about his role. I felt he had a solid game but if it's between him and McLean Vs Leicester, on this performance, there is no argument, it has to be McLean. It was good for him to get a goal, and a finely taken one too. He is a hard worker and gets a fair bit of clattering which wasn't always picked up on by the utterly useless ref tonight - more on that in a bit.

Sorensen - again, like Rupp, quietly gets on with his job, but he did it very well. His reading of the game and positioning is superb. At one point rather than go diving in like Mumba and Dowell had down the right hand side, he held a line down the edge of the penalty area when many would have gone straight out to the ball and left the right hand channel of the penalty area vacant. The player took him on and failed. Had he had closed him down, the player only had to knock it past him and he had a free run, albeit on an angle, into the area. Made Pearson look like the mug he is. On this showing I certainly think Sorensen has what it takes but it might be a bit of an adjustment to step up against better opposition. He certainly has the passing range, composure and intelligence to do it. Not sure he will push for a start Vs Leicester.

Tzolis - MotM. Two goals, two assists and a shot Nyland could only push into the feet of Sargent. I don't want to get too excited, but it is really hard not to. He has a bit of everything, he's happy to go down the line and cross, he's happy to take on his man, he's happy to cut inside, he's the right mixture of selfish and selfless and he has a lot of confidence... a second half shot from well within his own half had the legs but not the height. Would have been a spectacular third. He's calm, he knows when to use his skill and when not to. He tracks back - something we were told not to expect. He's strong, he's physical. At times he reminded me a little of a young Wayne Rooney... albeit a midfield version. The caveat to all of this is that he is still a little raw at times. At others, he is just sheer brilliance. The assist for Sargent at the end shows he puts the team first, it certainly was a pass too. And he fizzed a delightful ball into Rupp to score when many would have just played it hard and low into the edge of the six yard area. He and Williams were superb down the left, as mentioned earlier. Part of me really, really wants him to start against Leicester, but I will sort of understand why Farke might not - but surely, surely you can't leave out a player that has scored two and assisted two including one where he denied himself a hat-trick in preference of a sure goal for a team mate. Was being double marked by the end of the game. He certainly earned his WHOOOP WHOOOP tonight!

Dowell - first half Dowell was exceptional, at times reminding me a bit of Maddison. Played some brilliant balls and got up and down the pitch well. I felt he faded a bit as the 2nd half wore on. Very neat and tidy, lots of nice movement and some lovely exchanges with Tzolis, McLean, Rupp and Sargent going forwards. I am a fan of his, just a big big dilemma for Farke with the attacking side of the line up now.

Sargent - again, on any other day could rightfully be crowned MotM. Hard working, bustling, fast, got two feet. Won headers and flick ons. Shrugged off players with ease. New when to keep fighting and go down, on one occasion kept going despite being pulled, for another ten yards before going down to get a free kick on the edge of the area rather than 30 yards out. Very clever player, full of running and appears to know where to be in the box at the right time following up shots. Again, selfless, setting up team mates. There were a couple of times where I felt he could have found pockets of space when the Bournemouth defence was stretched with on of the CB's being pulled wide by the combined efforts of Dowell/Mumba and Tzolis/Williams were really pulling them out of shape. He'd stay on his CB rather than making a dart into the space vacated by the other CB forcing his marker to make a choice in sticking or going with. Shouldn't be done all of the time, I just felt a couple of breaks he could have done that and we would have broken them down again. Very good debut and two goals, the result of good movement and following up. At times was a bit Holt-esque, at others even a little Ashton-esque. Another dilemma for Farke, stick or twist with Pukki?

General plus points - our corners were dangerous. We were winning headers, the balls were consistently getting past the first player and causing discomfort for Bournemouth. In this regard, we certainly do not miss Buendia... sorry, we just don't. For the little amount of time some of these players have had together, it was really quite some performance. I know people will downplay this by suggesting it wasn't Bournemouth's strongest line up and that it's just the cup... but I don't believe for a minute that they turned up to get stuffed as badly as they did.

Pearson - some people on here have suggested, in the recent past, that we should get him as our DM. On his showing tonight, get me a gym membership and I'll do it. Utter sh!te! Barely broke into a sprint, barely left the centre circle, rarely passed more than 5yards. Offered little to no protection. I just do not see what Bournemouth saw in him. Honestly, he may as well have just been a chap having a stroll in the park. Did absolutely nothing useful that I could see, certainly didn't really give his defence much of a screen.

So yeah, 6-0... much to ponder. Farke has some real dilemma's on his hands. Can you leave Tzolis out of the next starting line up? Can you leave Sargent out after scoring two and assisting one? Will Farke drop the previously dependable Pukki? Who does he drop out of Rashica and Cantwell if he believes Tzolis has done too well to leave out? Williams has a good shout too, but has Giannoulis really been bad enough to drop? 

McLean in for Rupp for me, not sure there is that great a dilemma there, although Gilmour was a little wayward when he came on.

If I had one quibble it'd be that at times we close down a bit too quickly... I know that sounds a bit daft, but a couple of times they almost broke past us because we went too them too quickly meaning that they could knock and run past or pass it quickly and leave us dead. One time Sorensen read it and stopped them, on another Gunn had to make a save, though straight at him. Tzolis put in a block-tackle to cut out a cross too. Against better opposition that could be exploited. I suppose I should throw in a minor quibble too in that at times we overplayed it at the back resulting in us playing ourselves into danger.

I can't remember the last time Farke genuinely had this sort of decision to make with so many good candidates to pick from. Like I say, I don't wish to get carried away, and I won't, but boy was it a good game to be at.

Edit - forgot the ref: Seemed to let the game flow, though there wasn't much for him to do... which might explain why he gave Zimmermann a yellow card for getting shoved about, still managing to win the ball and then waltz away with it. It almost seemed like sympathy for Bournemouth, I mean it must of bean, it was never a foul, let alone a yellow. The tackle on Mumba on the other hand, from behind, sliding tackle... straight yellow, not even given as a foul. As if to make matters worse he couldn't have moved any slower to get over to the clearly in pain Mumba, and then took a very long time to let the physio on, as if almost to say "it aint nuffink get up yer wimp" - there aren't physios in Sunday League but I have seen speedier responses for injured players than that even if it's just a manky old bucket with rain water and a sponge last used on a filth tractor. Not particularly impressed is an understatement. Also missed a rather nasty kick from behind on Rupp.

Edited by chicken
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, chicken said:

Back from the game and trying to let the buzz get out of my head. Was a great atmosphere in the upper Barclay even if we had only just over 20k in

up yer wimp" - there aren't physios in Sunday League but I have seen speedier responses for injured players than that even if it's just a manky old bucket with rain water and a sponge last used on a filth tractor. Not particularly impressed is an understatement. Also missed a rather nasty kick from behind on Rupp.

Thanks for all of that.

Now thats what I call a bloody good read.Excellent

14 hours ago, chicken said:

So yeah, 6-0... much to ponder. Farke has some real dilemma's on his hands. Can you leave Tzolis out of the next starting line up? Can you leave Sargent out after scoring two and assisting one? Will Farke drop the previously dependable Pukki? Who does he drop out of Rashica and Cantwell if he believes Tzolis has done too well to leave out? Williams has a good shout too, but has Giannoulis really been bad enough to drop?

Can't see Farke changing too much and may well start with virtually the same side as last Saturday, with maybe Williams in for Giannoulis and McLean in for Rupp. McLean earned it last night and the key thing with Giannoulis is that the opposition will target him as they will have seen him struggle against Man City and we can't afford that.  Tzolis and Sargent would be great to bring off the bench, ease them into the PL, whether we are chasing the game or not - they are clearly going to be good acquisitions.