Sign in to follow this  
Myra Hawtree

Barnsley Away

It’s a shame we’re not able to go to the last game of the season away at Barnsley.  I remember going there for the last game several seasons ago. I think around 30 coaches travelled and we had a great time in the crowd with inflatables being thrown around etc.  I can’t remember the score but I think Barnsley were relegated?

2-0 mcveigh and Neilson! Cracking game, amazing atmosphere, huge away crowd!  it wasn’t the last game if I remember rightly, may have been the last away game though . You’re right, Barnsley were relegated as a result and we put ourselves firmly in the playoff mix. It was the millennium stadium year. 

3 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

2-0 mcveigh and Neilson! Cracking game, amazing atmosphere, huge away crowd!  it wasn’t the last game if I remember rightly, may have been the last away game though . You’re right, Barnsley were relegated as a result and we put ourselves firmly in the playoff mix. It was the millennium stadium year. 

Spot on! Great day

It was a brilliant day out when all of the results went for us from memory to help get into the play offs. Wasn’t there one more home game that we won 2-0 and it came down to a narrow goal difference for us to get in? Can’t remember the team who missed out. They had an aged former international player who was good at free kicks and he didn’t score for them in the dying seconds. Could it have been Paul Gascoign? 
One of my lasting memories was driving away from the ground being held up in slow moving traffic and a young lad walking alongside very sad as his Barnsley team had been relegated and kissing the badge on his shirt. We all applauded him and I hope that now he is an adult he has that same passion for the game and he will enjoy the Premiership through the play offs this season. 

57 minutes ago, Mutley said:

It was a brilliant day out when all of the results went for us from memory to help get into the play offs. Wasn’t there one more home game that we won 2-0 and it came down to a narrow goal difference for us to get in? C

Yeah, I think we pipped (Burnley?) to the last spot by a tight margin. I can't remember if it was a single goal difference or the same goal difference and more goals scored? But it was very close...

18 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Yeah, I think we pipped (Burnley?) to the last spot by a tight margin. I can't remember if it was a single goal difference or the same goal difference and more goals scored? But it was very close...

It was Burnley we pipped yes, after they collapsed towards the end of the season.  We had +1 more goals than them in the end, Malky grabbed the second late in the match against Stockport.  They had their keeper sent off really early on in the game and the sub put in an absolute blinder to keep it down to 1 until late on!

16 hours ago, Myra Hawtree said:

It’s a shame we’re not able to go to the last game of the season away at Barnsley.  I remember going there for the last game several seasons ago. I think around 30 coaches travelled and we had a great time in the crowd with inflatables being thrown around etc.  I can’t remember the score but I think Barnsley were relegated?

For "several" read "19"
https://www.worldfootball.net/schedule/eng-championship-2001-2002-spieltag/45/

I went to the next game, the last game of the season, at home to Preston, where we snuck into the play-offs on GD ahead of Burnley. They had Gazza playing for them and, at 1-0 up against Coventry, another goal for them would have seen them back into 6th position.

Was at both games.  Also at barnsley for the night game where we had to change shirts at half time due to them clashing with the linesman. 3-1 win if I remember with Iwan scoring at least one. 

1 hour ago, ncfcstar said:

It was Burnley we pipped yes, after they collapsed towards the end of the season.  We had +1 more goals than them in the end, Malky grabbed the second late in the match against Stockport.  They had their keeper sent off really early on in the game and the sub put in an absolute blinder to keep it down to 1 until late on!

Trademark header at the back post in front of the river end wasn't it? What a great and unexpected season that was, shame about the trip to Wales not turning out so well though, but it was worth it for what we did a few years later!

36 minutes ago, AJ said:

Trademark header at the back post in front of the river end wasn't it? What a great and unexpected season that was, shame about the trip to Wales not turning out so well though, but it was worth it for what we did a few years later!

Yep, very similar to the goal he scored against Wolves in the semi final of the playoffs a week or so later!

The playoff final, although disappointing, was a great day out, such a shame Wembley is in the middle of nowhere it's not got a patch on the Millennium Stadium for location.

• Like 1