birchfest

How Carrow Road could look..

1 hour ago, ncfcstar said:

The problem being that iFollow is a Football League product, so upon our promotion to the Premier League that extra revenue stream disappears (which obviously is negligible in comparison to TV money at PL level).

As and when the PL launch their own streaming platform, which is a bit of a minefield for them with all the broadcasting deals they have globally, I'd imagine that for the most part it would be bundled into existing revenue sent to the clubs because the vast majority of OTT subscribers would be purchasing a product which shows all the games and not just individual match passes for a club.

The PLs own streaming deal if done right will be an exercise in printing money. 

The NFL one has proved the concept too.  Its money direct to the PL rather than all the companies taking cuts. 

On the NFL one you have the option to either buy all games or all games for one team.  Or weekly or monthly passes.  

The other thing they do is black it out in a few miles radius where the stadium hasnt sold at least 80  percent of tickets for that game so it doesnt stop people attending. 

1 hour ago, NewNestCarrow said:

I'm trying to put some flesh onto these bones.

The Main Stand (including the two infills) seats approx 4,338, while the South Stand holds 8,434. 

Of course the New Main Stand would not mirror the South Stand because of the superior Exec facilities & fit-out that would be needed (Directors' Box, dressing rooms, media centre etc etc), so it would prob be a 2-tiered construction

In 2012 it was estimated that to add 7,000 seats to Carrow Rd would cost £20m. I suspect this sum excluded the revenue lost from having a 3-sided ground for 18 months.

The new Main Stand at Anfield cost £115m (this was adding a tier to an existing stand), while their planned Anfield Rd expansion (7,000 extra seats) is est to cost around £60m

I can't see a new Main Stand (& infills) at Norwich costing less than £60m.

Ideally, set £5m aside for the next 4 yrs in the PL (£20m), issue a Stand-Bond (£10m) and borrow the rest. But don't hold your breath.

I think after the success of the bond scheme its almost certainly to be involved in any expansion. I think if we are able to to get 3 seasons and a 4th in the bag, plus money from some player sales and the bond scheme. Ultimately the idea would be that it could pay itself back over the following decade and then be added to our already impressive match day revenue generation. No doubt a new stand would have additional hospitality, restaurant and shops etc which would see us capitalise beyond the ticket sales.

22 minutes ago, Haus said:

The PLs own streaming deal if done right will be an exercise in printing money. 

The NFL one has proved the concept too.  Its money direct to the PL rather than all the companies taking cuts. 

On the NFL one you have the option to either buy all games or all games for one team.  Or weekly or monthly passes.  

The other thing they do is black it out in a few miles radius where the stadium hasnt sold at least 80  percent of tickets for that game so it doesnt stop people attending. 

Oh I completely agree, it's a no brainer in the long run, but they have lots of complicated broadcasting deals which will really affect just how good their product will be in each territory.  The NBA also have exactly the same offering as the NFL, and what can/can't be done etc is very very complex.  How that then appears as £ in the bank of individual teams I do not know.

4 hours ago, NewNestCarrow said:

The Main Stand (including the two infills) seats approx 4,338, while the South Stand holds 8,434. 

Of course the New Main Stand would not mirror the South Stand because of the superior Exec facilities & fit-out that would be needed (Directors' Box, dressing rooms, media centre etc etc), so it would prob be a 2-tiered construction

In 2012 it was estimated that to add 7,000 seats to Carrow Rd would cost £20m. I suspect this sum excluded the revenue lost from having a 3-sided ground for 18 months.

The new Main Stand at Anfield cost £115m (this was adding a tier to an existing stand), while their planned Anfield Rd expansion (7,000 extra seats) is est to cost around £60m

Ideally, set £5m aside for the next 4 yrs in the PL (£20m), issue a Stand-Bond (£10m) and borrow the rest. But don't hold your breath.

Its almost certain that any redevelopment of the City stand would mean knocking down the current version and replacing with a newer, bigger model!

If you replicated the South stand at the City stand the figures would be close to - 

Current capacity 27,200  minus the  3100 main stand and 600 the Wensum infill = 23,500. (I'm presuming the snakepit would be left as it is for a little while to keep capacity up a little bit higher during construction, while if we're sticking to the South stand design the Hotel means no capacity in that area anyhow!)

When the South stand design replication is completed at the City stand side the capacity would be 23,500 + 8434 + 1500 which is about what the infill holds, though I think it could be a little bit more = About 33434!

Then at a later date replace the Snakepit with a new corner infill the same as the South stand design = 33434 minus 650? what the Snakepit holds = 32784. The 32784 + 1500 new snakepit replicating the South stand design = 34284 new ground capacity.

Of course in reality the land strip buys last year behind the City stand and Barclay end indicates that more bigger, grander plans are being considered? Plus add in the fact that the River End stand is now 41 years old, while a decent stand is looking its age now and will need replacing at some point. Keeping this stand long term would require money spent on it and a new cantilever roof that would eliminate the view restricting posts which would also add about 4 seats to the capacity!

Could a new and bigger River end stand be built there that would increase capacity and also tie in with a new City stand?

I'm of the view that when the time comes to replace the current City stand the club has to go for the biggest possible capacity there possible allowing for space and finance obviously.

Would it be possible to build a new City stand that was bigger than the South stand then make provisions to extend the design around to the Barclay end replacing the current two tiered stand? - I've always envisaged in time the Barclay end being replaced by a bigger version not to dissimilar to the Holte end At Villa Park that wrapped around the corner meaning we could get rid of the Hotel. Such a new Barclay stand could also include a Hotel built into the back of it in the corner?!

Also I think a new snakepit infill similar in design to the current South Stand infill wouldn't look right, a new bigger snakepit one tiered version would be much better in terms of atmosphere!

All interesting stuff but I'm sure that Carrow Road will likely be expanded in the next 10 years taking capacity to over 30,000!

Edited by kingsway

4 hours ago, alex_ncfc said:

Are those poles just for the floodlights or are they structural for the stand roofs too? Probably a bit hard to get rid of if the latter, not that I know anything about construction! 😂

The River End and Barclay Stand have post and beam rooftops, rather than the cantilever design of the South Stand and City Stand.  The posts unfortunately can't be removed cheaply, they effectively hold a beam up upon which the roof is laid.  To get rid of the poles, the whole roof would have to be taken off and replaced by cantilever roofing.  Not a small job.  For the relatively few people who suffer impaired views, it would be much more cost effective to invest in a replacement for the City Stand.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NewNestCarrow said:

The River End stand was reported to cost 1.5 million pounds. I know that inflation affects everything but where does 60 million come from?

33 minutes ago, Surfer said:

The River End stand was reported to cost 1.5 million pounds. I know that inflation affects everything but where does 60 million come from?

Just go with it, no one exaggerates on here. 

This subject was covered extensively at Webber's first shareholders meeting. The economics at that time were that if all the money needed to build an extension over the top of the City Stand was borrowed the extra seats would need 90% occupancy over 20 years to break even on it. I seem to remember the figure being suggested as around £40m but don't quote me on that. You only need to look down the road to see that borrowing is clearly too much of a risk. 

At the moment income from TV is at least 7 times greater than gate receipts so there is no short term economic argument for expansion, but players will be more enthusiastic about staying here if they're playing in a better atmosphere and the additional fans will give us a bigger edge. The main consideration is bringing in fans for future years. At the moment it is almost impossible to buy family season tickets together and that isn't good. 

Covid has cost us a fortune and has probably set us back a couple of years financially. In those circumstances I would be happy to sacrifice Max (for example) to pay for it and I'd go further and have safe standing in the lower Barclay as soon as it's legal. That won't go down well with some posters but in 20 years time we would probably be glad we did it. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

15 hours ago, ncfcstar said:

Oh I completely agree, it's a no brainer in the long run, but they have lots of complicated broadcasting deals which will really affect just how good their product will be in each territory.  The NBA also have exactly the same offering as the NFL, and what can/can't be done etc is very very complex.  How that then appears as £ in the bank of individual teams I do not know.

The NFL one splits the money evenly between the teams,  They have a lot of things like this though that wont happen over here - all shirt sales are split evenly between the whole league too rather than individual clubs making the money off them. 

23 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

Looks good.   With a bit of forward planning  the club to build out something like this during a period when there are no crowds in attendance.....

I can't believe you want the Club to introduce an infested bat to the catering........

(I feel like I ought to point out from the outset , that this is meant as a joke, so as not to offend anyone who might be offended. 🤷‍♂️ For anyone who thinks it has a modicum of humour in it, then great. If not, then I sit alone trying to get humour out of the English language, but this in no way, detracts from the many people who have suffered at the hands of Covid) All good? 👍