Sign in to follow this  
wooster

Best place to stay in Norwich

A couple of friends are planning a trip to Norwich (end May) on the assumption things will be more normal by then.

They're looking at The Maid's Head or St Giles House (expensive).  Are these the best alternatives or does anyone have better suggestions?

(I stay with family in the south of the county when I go to games and my knowledge of the city's hostelries and inns is not recent).

Any help much appreciated - they are looking to be in the city and close to pubs & eateries.

The old rooms in the maids head are beautiful  but the newer rooms are decidedly average (or at least that was the case a while back).

@wooster are they looking for a bit of quality or is something a bit more budget ok ? There’s two holiday inns in the city if they just want a room for a night 

The Carrow Road Holiday Inn is easy reach of anything, but maybe not what they are looking for going by their initial selections.

Many thanks for the feedback.  The guys have picked up the two initial options from Tripadvisor.

47 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

MJB chain, it’s an experience you’ll never forget. 

Haha! And quite possibly never survive.

8 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

The old rooms in the maids head are beautiful  but the newer rooms are decidedly average (or at least that was the case a while back).

Second that. Stayed in one of the old rooms and it was excellent. Service really good too. Decent location - handy for the city

Edited by kick it off

9 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

MJB chain, it’s an experience you’ll never forget. 

Ha ha   , stayed in one once....good laugh  as we were probably the best behaved people in the building.  Didnt story my cloggy mate getting up in the middle if the night and inadvertently shutting himself  in a cupboard that he thought was the toilet during the night. When I let him out he nearly flattened me in his rush to get to the actual Jacks. 2012 it was... 2nd Ajax friendly. Good times. 

I've always put our international visitors up in the Maids Head.

Yes the old rooms are more atmospheric but they all love being right on top of the Cathedral and easy walks around the centre. They all turn into tourists!  

Norwich actually lacks much in the choice at the international business end.