BroadstairsR

The Masters.

35 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

He's  changed a bit since his Eastenders  days then. Out of interest , anybody know if the Dutch national footy team wear Orange when they play NI ? 

For the cause of liberty.

9 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

For the cause of liberty.

Ok Cheers, so I dont get why a Golferist is prohibited from wearing Orange, but a football team isnt, especially when they have easy access to a second or even third strip . Just noticed the game you posted was in Holland  , I'll  have to look into whether  they change strip when playing In NI. 

Just  checked....they played in Orange or as like to call it ' 'farmed salmon pink'.   Given the higher  profile of Footy, why was the offending Colour allowed? Or was the orange outfit worn by the Golferman a tribute to his ex coach who happened to be a loyalist ...and  that's what may cause offence.

Edited by wcorkcanary

4 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Ok Cheers, so I dont get why a Golferist is prohibited from wearing Orange, but a football team isnt, especially when they have easy access to a second or even third strip . Just noticed the game you posted was in Holland  , I'll  have to look into whether  they change strip when playing In NI. 

I suppose it can be misconstrued as a statement by an individual, but not so when worn by a team and from time immemorial.

26 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I suppose it can be misconstrued as a statement by an individual, but not so when worn by a team and from time immemorial.

Yep Broado, I'd  thought of that.  As you say since time immemorial, certainly since 1690  when good ole boy king Billy  ( william of Orange)  a Dutchman  'won' the Battle of the Boyne......a fairly  inflammatory  episode in  Irish History. ...one which is still  celebrated  today by Loyalists  . .... maybe you can see now why I queried  the ban on that Golferators clothing choice. 

I served with a Protestant Rangers supporting  Glaswegian that had a 1690 King Billy Tattoo on his forearm, the Tattooist was a Catholic Celtic Supporter  who was a bit sharper than the BillyBoy...he drew King Billy  on a Black Horse !!! Much to everyone's ( except the BillyBoys) amusement..... 

• Haha 1

It's a delicate subject.

I've always thought Ireland for the  Irish (ala Paul McCartney) and was brought up with the likes of 'Kevin Barry' on my mother's knee, but democracy should rule.

The Republic of Ireland shows no particular desire to encroach NI, it seems.

Let's stick to golf, for all it's faults. 

5 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

I do wear a rouge pink sweater when it's chilly.  It matches my tartan patterned plus fours and, on cold days, my nose.

I wore them last time out when I had a bad day's play and only hit two good balls. That was when I stepped on a bunker rake.

Off the course and in the 19th I favour a lemon Pringle. I match this tastefully with a puce corduroy, and a boating shoe , or possibly a sandal when the weather allows. 
Our club has just voted to allow women members in on Thursday afternoons . I am all for this kind of diversity. 

John Rahm's shot was intentional. It has become a tradition at Augusta to try and skim the ball onto the green. Rahm went one better.

Golf is very much like Avant Garde Jazz. You need to be playing it to appreciate it.

"John Rahm's shot was intentional. It has become a tradition at Augusta to try and skim the ball onto the green. Rahm went one better."

But only in practice rounds.

My ability to hit the ball into the water is equal and possibly even better than John Rahm! It’s the second part that I have trouble with, getting the bloody thing into the hole 😬

I understand the view that most golf can be dull to watch, but there are exceptions especially team games like the Ryder Cup. It’s the only golf event I’ve been to that rivals the atmosphere of a football match.

The majors are good one to watch if there are several golfers in contention. Towards the end it becomes a bit like football when when team needs to score and really goes for it - it’s either do or die.

Possibly it helps to be a golfer because it makes you appreciate the skill and athleticism (yes, really!) of some of the shots. 

I’ve come to really enjoy watching golf in recent years, would love to learn to play but I’m thinking at 43 I’m probably too old to start. We have a really nice golf course near to me called The Isle of Purbeck. Harry Redknapp spends a lot of his time there now he’s basically retired, and just prior to our match against Wycombe Wanderers, Gareth Ainsworth and 3 of the Wycombe players came down for a round.

20BD18CD-1EF6-4885-8B60-4B857088A94A.jpeg

The perfect age to start AM. You'd be surprised just how many take it up upon retirement, and most golfers accept the duffers with good grace.

I played a lot late teens, twenties and thirties then lapsed for personal reasons.

Resumed at about 45. It was like starting afresh.

Funny game for amateurs who are getting on in the life as you never quite know what a round will bring. One visit useless and the next you surprise yourself. That's me anyhow.

You can pick up dirt cheap clubs etc. on sites like Gumtree. Many take it up but fail to keep it up. It can be frustrating, but if you eventually join a decent club the social scene will probably be worthwhile also ... and there's usually cheap drinks in the (non-profit) clubhouse bar.

Try a driving range first, then move on to a municipal.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

Alex.

Golfclubs4cash is a great site for reconditioned clubs. I got a really good set of Mizuno irons 3-PW for £49.99.

But if you are starting out, a good half set is all you need. You don't need to complicate it yet. Avoid using a driver until you swing consistently. And a good putter is essential. Most pro shops at a golfclub will sort you outbut tend to be more expensive.

• Like 1

Starting on the 10th at Augusta isn't going to be easy. By the time you have played three holes you could be few over. It isn't called Amen Corner for nothing.

@BroadstairsR @keelansgrandad

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. I will have a look around and may come back to you for a bit of further advice if that’s ok with you guys. Some of the boys down my local pub who are members at the IOP course have offered to help show me the ropes so I will look into this. Many thanks again folks 👍

21 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

I’ve come to really enjoy watching golf in recent years, would love to learn to play but I’m thinking at 43 I’m probably too old to start. We have a really nice golf course near to me called The Isle of Purbeck. Harry Redknapp spends a lot of his time there now he’s basically retired, and just prior to our match against Wycombe Wanderers, Gareth Ainsworth and 3 of the Wycombe players came down for a round.

20BD18CD-1EF6-4885-8B60-4B857088A94A.jpeg

When can I come and stay? 😁

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

would love to learn to play but I’m thinking at 43 I’m probably too old to start.

Too old at 43?  Never too old to learn something new and as long as you can get around a golf course holding a club, you can learn to play and enjoy it. We didn't start properly until our 50's and get loads of fun and laughs trying to get around a golf course. The funniest ones are on a 525yd hole, you can't even see the flag and you tee off and the ball goes 5 yds off the tee......you have to laugh or you go mad!  As for standard, it varies....we don't play that often, but when we do play, it's like any other sport, some days you feel like you can't hit a bad shot, other days you can't even hit the ball.......

We got into it because our local club offered cheap coaching sessions in large groups.....that was funny as well, seeing everyone struggle like we were.  The only problem comes if you take it too seriously like some do - we see ladies and gents playing who look and act as if they are pros and you watch them hoping to learn something and they mess up like everyone else.   

Just get in there and have a go! 

• Thanks 1

I don’t follow golf anymore but some of my friends are keen-we were Zooming last night and one of them was looking at the official Masters website. If you click on any player you can see every shot that he plays in his round. Seems like a good way to follow the action.

23 hours ago, Canary Jedi said:

When can I come and stay? 😁

Ha ha, any fellow Pink’un City supporters are always welcome down here any time pal 👍

23 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Too old at 43?  Never too old to learn something new and as long as you can get around a golf course holding a club, you can learn to play and enjoy it. We didn't start properly until our 50's and get loads of fun and laughs trying to get around a golf course. The funniest ones are on a 525yd hole, you can't even see the flag and you tee off and the ball goes 5 yds off the tee......you have to laugh or you go mad!  As for standard, it varies....we don't play that often, but when we do play, it's like any other sport, some days you feel like you can't hit a bad shot, other days you can't even hit the ball.......

We got into it because our local club offered cheap coaching sessions in large groups.....that was funny as well, seeing everyone struggle like we were.  The only problem comes if you take it too seriously like some do - we see ladies and gents playing who look and act as if they are pros and you watch them hoping to learn something and they mess up like everyone else.   

Just get in there and have a go! 

Cheers Lakey, there’s always one that has top of the range everything, but doesn’t know what to do with it! That said, if you’re passionate about it and you know it’s not going to be a phase, then worth investing in at least something half decent from the outset I guess! 

I had Schauffele as my choice for being in the mix but so far he has not quite done the business.

As for Alex...just get a couple of lessons at the local driving range. I changed my whole swing after some lessons. It ruined my game for the next two or three rounds but I remembered exactly what I was advised and began hitting drives more than 80 yards longer after. Have played since a nipper but only since my late 50s has my game come on at all ....so...you're not too old at all. You can hit below 90 regularly with a little practice which will mean you're at a decent level. Would buy something like Callaway, Nike secondhand. Decent clubs do give an edge and can be helpful for the starter.

Cannot forget Johnson's lifestyle a few years ago but leaving that aside, he is a great golfer and a very worthy winner. If Rory could play a first round like a second he would have challenged.